Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Superscripts rendered as subscripts

I'm reading a book ("The Strangest Man", a biography of the physicist Paul Dirac, by Graham Farmelo, well worth reading) that contains quite a number of superscripted numbers. However, these are displaying as subscripts.

When I load the book into the ebook viewer built into Calibre, or open it in Sigil, the superscripts display correctly, but on the screen of my Aura HD (firmware 3.12) they come out as subscripts. If I look at the code in Sigil, it looks correct to me - eg 10<sup>78</sup> for ten to the power of 78.

I've tried several of the different fonts provided with the Kobo (Georgia, Malabar, Amasis), and the display of the superscripts is wrong with all of them.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've checked an epub and a sideloaded kepub (not converted by Calibre, just renamed as .kepub.epub) on my Glo with firmware 3.12.0, and superscripts seem to be working correctly. Is your book a kepub or epub? Have you checked the stylesheet to see if <sup> has been redefined?

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-29-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: ... and a sideloaded kepub ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
The books are epubs in the Calibre library but I'm using the KoboTouchExtended plugin to send them to the Auda HD as kepubs, as I prefer the kepub page numbering options.

No mention of <sup> in the stylesheet. In any case, had it been redefined, that would also affect the display of superscripts in Calibre or Sigil, and they look quite correct there.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Ashfall
Ashfall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I noticed something similar in the Hyperion books. Superscripts were smaller font size, but were barely elevated at all. It looked worse the larger the font size. It looked normal in Sigil and Calibre.

I found this in the css and changed it to 0.4em. Now it looks normal at any font size. Or you could just remove this section, and sup will work as the normal default height.

sup
{
vertical-align: 4px;
}

I'm reading on an Aura HD, and I think the high dpi makes any sizing by pixel count too small to be noticed.

Last edited by Ashfall; 01-06-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Ashfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfall View Post
I'm reading on an Aura HD, and I think the high dpi makes any sizing by pixel count too small to be noticed.
Modern devices with such high resolutions should have an user-adjustable dpi setting, so that the the sizes of images and "pixels" can be modified, not just the font size. (The "should" above is only wishful thinking, I'm afraid.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert