Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus26 View Post
Hello everybody, thank you for your comments always useful for real n00bs like me.
I’m bloked here now, the second firmware update says effectively that there is not enough battery to do the flash, as you note it, but in my case say that even with the power cord attached !
Surely because my batteries are dead (I can use my iliad only with power card attached now) i presume.
An idea ?
So which firmware version are you running at the moment. It seems unlikely to me that you could completely kill he batteries tho.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #32
angus26
angus26 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
So which firmware version are you running at the moment.
I'm back to 2.10 (with "cf-card-contents.zip" procedure, OK) and can't reupgrade to 2.12 now.
Quote:
It seems unlikely to me that you could completely kill he batteries tho
I'm not sure i understand you exactly (sorry for my english).
I understand you don't think batteries could be HS, but empty batteries who stop to charge are a very common problem, isn't it ?

Nevertheless, every time i connect to IDS, i have the message "battery too low ..." however my power cord is attached !
angus26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
gingercat
Connoisseur

I think NiMh batteries can sometimes no longer be charged if you let them go too low bewfore re-charging. This shouldn't happen with an iliad because it will switch off before the batteries get too low. Somehow you need to get those batteries charged I think.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Hello everybody, thank you for your comments always useful for real n00bs like me.
I’m bloked here now, the second firmware update says effectively that there is not enough battery to do the flash, as you note it, but in my case say that even with the power cord attached !
Surely because my batteries are dead (I can use my iliad only with power card attached now) i presume.
An idea ?
If I remember correctly, the update process requires the batteries to be charged to a certain level to protect against the iLiad losing power during an update. However, the check that is done doesn't care whether or not the power cord is plugged in, it still will insist that the battery charge level is high enough.

There are a few threads on here about replacing your iLiad battery. That might be something you'd want to do anyway so that you're not always having to run with it plugged in.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #35
Nigel
Nigel began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad and enough other gadgets to be embarrassing
Now that the manufacturer is gone, is there a source for the batteries?

On the subject of replacements; is there any source for the battery charger cable? I've never seen that long thin connector on any other device.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Now that the manufacturer is gone, is there a source for the batteries? .
Irex have never supplied batteries - You get them online
Old 11-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #37
stevetuf
iRex iLiad enthusiast
stevetuf began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
The larger problem would be that "...All we really NEED is the latest version of the firmware ver 2.12.1) as a system image and the developer package. And we need these to be freely available without having to signup or login to the irex web site." as gingercat so rightly said! Without this the machines won't go very far... Again, has anyone seen these images out there anywhere?
stevetuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #38
angus26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There are a few threads on here about replacing your iLiad battery. That might be something you'd want to do anyway so that you're not always having to run with it plugged in.
yes, i hesitated to do it but finally i bought a sony 650 and now i don't want to invest more money on iliad, although it's more comfortable for some "non text" pdf.

As stevetuf and gingercat i hope a next "system image" with 2.12 will be available.

Thank you for your confirmation of the "check that is done" even with power cord.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetuf View Post
The larger problem would be that "...All we really NEED is the latest version of the firmware ver 2.12.1) as a system image and the developer package. And we need these to be freely available without having to signup or login to the irex web site." as gingercat so rightly said! Without this the machines won't go very far... Again, has anyone seen these images out there anywhere?
I have a mirror of the current image (2.10) available. PM me if you need a copy of it and can't get it through MyiRex for some reason. I'm not aware that iRex ever made an image of 2.12.1.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #40
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
I I'm not aware that iRex ever made an image of 2.12.1.
No they didin't - We can all get copies of 2.10 but its not a very good image because as soon as you install it you need to upgrade to 2.12.1 especially if you want to read mobipocket books
Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
No they didin't
Is there any reason we can't make one ourselves?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #42
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is there any reason we can't make one ourselves?

Well yes - Most of us don't know how. If I knew how to do it I would have ages ago.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Well yes - Most of us don't know how. If I knew how to do it I would have ages ago.
Doesn't seem like it would be very difficult, unless I'm missing something. The only part that would cause me a problem is my iLiad is at 2.12.1 now. If I made an image based on that, tested it, and it didn't work the first time. The only restore I could do then would be back to 2.10 and I'd be stuck.

The best way, would be if someone had two iLiads. One currently with 2.12.1 to use as the source for making the images, and another "guinea pig" that they wouldn't mind testing with, preferably one that was already stuck on 2.10.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #44
angus26

If you make an image, i'll can test it if you want.
I'm already on 2.10 anyway, it can't be worse.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #45
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
If you make an image, i'll can test it if you want.
I'm already on 2.10 anyway, it can't be worse.
I'll see if I can find some time to mess around with it and come up with something. I can't believe that nobody else has tried this before though, I'm worried that there's something big I'm missing that makes this more difficult than it sounds.