Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
The Great LCD Brightness/Distance Experiment

I'm a Kindle owner/e-Ink lover (enthusiast?) I've owned 4 different e-ink devices over the years, and I have always been in the camp that feels there is less eyestrain with an e-ink device because there is no refreshing or backlight.

Well, I decided that I'd try an experiment. I easily spend about 6-8 hours in front of 2 LCD screens every weekday, and I tend to get eyestrain by the end of the day. I've lowered the brightness on my monitors, and moved my primary monitor from about 24 inches away from my eyes to about 12 inches away from my eyes. We'll see how it goes.

Let the Great Experiment BEGIN!!!

jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Your experiment is flawed from the start...

Whenever you experiment, you only change one parameter at a time. So, first you either move away or you adjust the brightness. Then you see what the effect is, and then you change the other parameter. Check the effect again. Finally, you change both and check again...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point - I've changed the experiment. I spent an 8 hour day with my normal brightness at the closer distance. My eyes hate me. Today I'm trying lower brightness at regular distance. So far, I'd say that the contrast seems to suffer quite a bit, but it's too early in the day to really say.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Off to a good start.

Now, you need to get nine other people to do the same thing to, plus ten other people to expose to the original setting for the same amount of time (the control group). Then get back to us.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Off to a good start.

Now, you need to get nine other people to do the same thing to, plus ten other people to expose to the original setting for the same amount of time (the control group). Then get back to us.
... and have neither those people nor yourself know which group they are in
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
jupstin
Groupie

Perhaps I should have called this thread, The Great LCD Brightness/Distance "Experiment"

I realize it may not be scientifically valid, but at least I have the hope of alleviating some of my own eye strain. So far, normal distance plus reduced brightness seems to be the winner. I can say with 100% confidence that all people in the world who are exactly like me will experience the same result. Also - brighter and closer is like two hands grabbing your eyeballs from inside your skull.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
What's on these screens?
I'd like to say "8 hours a day of hard work," but the truth is something more like a whole lot of blog reading with a little bit of work thrown in.