Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Can someone who has the problem check if the screen fades under direct sunlight but behind a glass window? Another way is to shine a blacklight (UV light) on the screen and see if it fades.
I have a theory that the defective screens lose the static charge that holds the ink particles because of the UV radiation. Window glass blocks most of the UV wavelengths.
It did for me--just as much as it did when outside. Even through a double-glazed one. HTH!

I suspect the only artificial light that you could use would be an HPS or MH grow light. Not having direct access to either, I couldn't confirm this.

Good luck!

Last edited by Xochipilli2012; 03-15-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Politeness
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I wonder why it happens to some and not others? I've heard that this isn't just a Sony problem, that it is an e-ink problem, but I don't understand why some devices are fine and others fade. I wish one of these companies could release some kind statement explaining the cause of this. They advertise ereaders as being able to be read outside and that is true-with some of them.

I am happy for others who were able to replace their device with a more reliable one and those that do not have to worry about it at all. Hopefully others will find a solution they are comfortable with!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
elfisto
elfisto began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox 60
light issues

I can confirm that my Onyx Boox 60 did exactly the same thing, the screen faded and became illegible. I am now waiting for replacement. If this should be a feature of e-ink screens, that would annoy me no end, because the things are specifically sold to use on sunny holidays.
elfisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
Zorana
Zorana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Has anyone experienced the screen fading on Sony PRS-900? And what do you guys think of the protective film over the screen?
Zorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It's my understanding that there was a bad batch of e-ink screens from a particular manufacturer --- replacing such should be covered under warranty, and the replacement screen should not have said difficulty (though some people have reported multiple tries were necessary before a good unit was delivered).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #21
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi
I was pretty shocked as well when my PRS-600 showed this effect. Afterwards I found all this post here and wondered whether I should now be happy or pissed that I am not the only one.
Nevertheless I became curios, whether it is temperature, light or radiation. So I went in our extrem room (I am plant scientist). There we try to simulate extreme growth conditions. We have lights that are like 200 times lighter than normal plant growth lights and which correspond well to sunlight regarding their spectra. As well we have "cold" temperature - like around 16 degrees.
Long story short - I could not observe any effect with my device. Really strange.(Still being award of the fact that we are still not 100% sunlight intensity)
Any suggestions?
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebioman View Post
Any suggestions?
The easiest test you can do is to test the reader behind a real glass window in the direct sunshine.
If it is UV light, then your read will not be affected because glass absorbs UV light?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebioman View Post
Hi

Long story short - I could not observe any effect with my device. Really strange.(Still being award of the fact that we are still not 100% sunlight intensity)
Any suggestions?
Two thoughts--1) did you use an image (rather than text), cover half the screen, and turn pages? This may bring out the effect so you can see it, even if it is less severe than in natural daylight.
2) I wonder if there is some particular wavelength in natural light that mucks it up (UV or otherwise), that is minimal or absent in the artificial lights in your test.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #24
JRenshaw
JRenshaw began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm a Minnesota native as well and I found this forum while searching to find out if my screen fade issue was a defect or a normal thing.

I only see the problem in the unfiltered light of the sun, but it is pronounced. If I expose the screen orthogonally to the sun, it takes only several seconds for the next page turn to be ruined to the point that it cannot be read.

If the sun is lower in the sky or the angle of the reader is not so unfavorable, then the fading will make it no more than extremely difficult to read the text.

As mentioned by others, if I obscure part of the screen with a hand, then the shadowed portion of the screen will not suffer from the problem.
JRenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRenshaw View Post
I'm a Minnesota native as well and I found this forum while searching to find out if my screen fade issue was a defect or a normal thing.
I believe this to be a defect. Many folks have had theirs replaced because of this. My 505 does not fade at all. Fading has been reported by owners of other ereaders as well.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #26
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Just tried my 600 again yesterday. I went outdoors into direct sunlight. No fading at all. My 505 didn't (doesn't) do this either.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My 505 does this. Has anyone gotten Sony to replace theirs (free of charge) because of this defect? I'm pretty sure mine is out of warranty (almost a year old).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I heard that within the warranty, they replaced units. Even if your 505 is out of warranty, I would call Sony and ask if there is an option to get help. I mean it's a defect that just doesn't occur spontaneously. It's there or it isn't.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #29
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I wonder if it'd be better to go to my local Sony Store, or call customer service?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
Mike_73
Guru

Well, why not try phone support first. If you don't like it, go to the store.

Hmmm. A Sony store. I wonder if there is one in Germany. Never seen one before...