Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How many unread ebooks do you own?
1-10 21 38.89%
10-25 4 7.41%
25-50 7 12.96%
50-100 2 3.70%
> 100 15 27.78%
It's not my fault. I'm obsessive/compulsive. 11 20.37%
It's not my fault. I'm excessive/compulsive. 13 24.07%
I'm too scared to count them and find out! 8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
How many unread ebooks do you own? (excluding freebee's)

With fictionwise discounts popping up monthly and BoB gift certificate sales, etc., how many unread ebooks do you have in your collection? (excluding freebee's i.e. classics.)

Do you actually expect to read all of them? (Of course)

Why do you keep buying books when you already have so many unread books? (I can't help it. I'm obsessive/compulsive.)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
27 from Amazon, 12 of which were < $2.00. 18 from Fictionwise. Oops -- forgot to count the ones I bought from Baen's Webscription site. I think that now pushes me over from the 25-50 into the 50-100 category.

I tell myself that I'm just like a squirrel -- storing up nuts for the winter. I figure that if I ever have to live on a reduced income, I won't have to worry about having good books to read.

I'm not worried about it too much, though. I've read 58 books so far this year, 25 of which were electronic books. Last year, I read 140 books, 55 of which were electronic books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=Angst;495051

Do you actually expect to read all of them? (Of course)

Why do you keep buying books when you already have so many unread books? (I can't help it. I'm obsessive/compulsive.)[/QUOTE]

I think of my Kindle like I think of my paper library.

Whether or not I've read them is not important, nor is how many I have. They are there because I will eventually read or re-read them.

I don't count the books in my paper library.......nor do I count them in my Kindle.

Unfortunately, Calibre lets me know exactly how many books I have.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Where's the option for zero? Everything I have on the unread list is a freebie, except for hitting the "donation" button at the author sites.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I buy a half dozen books, read two or three, and then buy a half dozen more.

I probably only have six or eight (purchased) unread ebooks right now, but I've ordered books only about three times in the few months I've had my device. If I keep this up, I'll have a whole stack of unread books in no time!

I do plan to read them all, but my purchases tend to be in genres and as my moods change, I want different books.

Hopefully soon I'll have samples of every style that I like to read and I won't have to place orders every time I feel like reading a different type of book.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I snap up any freebee that interests me (many are *not* classics) so I have a good 200 freebee books awaiting me, but books I paid for? About 6, and all were bought on special.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
If I buy a book it's because I REALLY want to read it, so it doesn't hang around long. The freebies are a bit different, they're there for emergencies (or when I can't be bothered to go to the library!).

Because of the BoB gift certificate offer I have a couple of books I haven't read yet, but that's really unusual for me. I generally read library books or swap with family & friends, and since I got my reader I've gone back to reading classics, so I don't spend lots on books.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Do you actually expect to read all of them?

Why do you keep buying books when you already have so many unread books?
Yes, I'll at least /start/ reading them all. I've recently started to /not finish/ books if I get half way and I'm not really enjoying it.

Why? Because they were there?

I'm currently trying not to buy more ebooks, since I have a one year supply or more at the moment. But then there's the subscriptions - Asimov's, Analog, F&SF, Universe, Grantville Gazette - which bring in another four each month. And very special offers at Fictionwise. And /must read now/ releases from Baen.

But I've certainly cut down recently....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I buy it and then i read it as soon as possible. Usually i have not more than two unread ebooks in my collection...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I had a slight hiccup on the Sony 500 and read everything I had bought before I reset it. Cleared the tables so to speak. I have no backlog.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I haven't gotten around to the new books in this month's Webscription from Baen. Other than that, I'm completely caught up. But that's only because I've been cutting back on non-essential purchases in preparation for replacing the older car (a '92 Subaru). The new car (a '98 VW) will hang around a few more years...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Unread ebooks on my Reader is a small issue (a few dozen) compared to the unread pbooks on my shelves (a few hundred). I offer no excuses and feel no remorse. Can one have too many flowers? And wouldn't having too few books to read be the real tragedy?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Unread ebooks on my Reader is a small issue (a few dozen) compared to the unread pbooks on my shelves (a few hundred). I offer no excuses and feel no remorse. Can one have too many flowers? And wouldn't having too few books to read be the real tragedy?
I'm the exact opposite; very few unread pbooks but quite a few unread e-books.

I think that the reason for this is the availability of free e-books. If I pay for a pbook, I make damn sure I read it; with e-books, there is so much free stuff out there that I tend to download stuff on the off chance that I'll enjoy it and so build up a bit of a backlog.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have 65 undread ebooks, but only 14 of those I actually paid for (everything else is classic or a freebie), and a bunch of those were only $1 or so. Books I actually pay for I read first
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I wanted to vote for the blue one next to the fish but it wasn't an option. 10 if you count the excerpts.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote