Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
joegearhart
joegearhart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Can't clear "custom" date field?

I'm setting up Calibre to work with the Kindle that I'm giving my wife on Christmas.

I wanted to create a custom date field called "Date Read", and did so with no problems.

Well, then I wanted to set up some custom searches related to that. To do so, I had to put in some dummy dates on a few books so that I could make sure the searches operated as expected.

#dateread:<2010
#dateread:<2010-05
#dateread:false
#dateread:true

These all worked PERFECTLY!

But now that I want to clear the date fields, I can't find a way to do so! I can only edit the "date read" field. I can't clear it out again.

I have tried deleting the value, right clicking and selecting "cut", I've gone to "Edit Metadata" > "Edit Metadata Individually" > "Custom Metadata" and tried to delete it there but just can't do it.

Is this a bug or am I missing something very simple?
joegearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegearhart View Post
I'm setting up Calibre to work with the Kindle that I'm giving my wife on Christmas.

I wanted to create a custom date field called "Date Read", and did so with no problems.

Well, then I wanted to set up some custom searches related to that. To do so, I had to put in some dummy dates on a few books so that I could make sure the searches operated as expected.

#dateread:<2010
#dateread:<2010-05
#dateread:false
#dateread:true

These all worked PERFECTLY!

But now that I want to clear the date fields, I can't find a way to do so! I can only edit the "date read" field. I can't clear it out again.

I have tried deleting the value, right clicking and selecting "cut", I've gone to "Edit Metadata" > "Edit Metadata Individually" > "Custom Metadata" and tried to delete it there but just can't do it.

Is this a bug or am I missing something very simple?
Set a date with the year 0000
I also think 0101, but that might have changed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
joegearhart
joegearhart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Winner!!

I am amazed at how robust Calibre is. I've been playing with tweaks and stuff ALL day to make this as simple for the wife as possible.

Thanks theducks!
joegearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Set a date with the year 0000
I also think 0101, but that might have changed
Oooh, now that is a cool trick, thx.

Next question related to this would be could someone point to the place(s) in the source code (since I haven't found it as an option) whereby we could set the publication date column to this when it is unknown? I'm not a fan of it setting the publication date to "today" for every new book - I would much rather it was set to "0000" and only set when an actual date is available in the metadata or you manually type one...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Oooh, now that is a cool trick, thx.

Next question related to this would be could someone point to the place(s) in the source code (since I haven't found it as an option) whereby we could set the publication date column to this when it is unknown? I'm not a fan of it setting the publication date to "today" for every new book - I would much rather it was set to "0000" and only set when an actual date is available in the metadata or you manually type one...
Date is the day you create the Record
Publication_Date is from the Internal Meta-data (or Downloaded)

You might be able to use "Edit_Meta-data in Bulk" to set this (if you must)
BTW The date is probably set by a Trigger or defaults if not set in the DB

Last edited by theducks; 12-20-2010 at 12:07 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
One instance (I think the only one) is in database2 in add_books, line 2363. Leave the pubdate as None.

Note that programatically you reset the pubdate by setting it to None. If you need to manipulate a None date (e.g., for sorting), use utils.date.UNDEFINED_DATE.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote