Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
AmenAmen
AmenAmen began at the beginning.

Device: archos 9
An idea for multiple Libraries.

Hi,

I am very interested in this topic. Actually I do prefer seperate folder/libraries. It makes sense to me to keep my Comics, my regular ebooks and my architecture and design ebooks seperated.

I read both positions which are represented here in this forum. They both have valid points.

I have a suggestion to make, that might satisfy both sides without sacrificing anything.

The folder supporters just want a quick permanent way to seperate libraries and the others are happy with just tags.

So... would it be possible to add a few buttons to the UI that act as "master tags" ? By "master tags" I mean a tag that has its own button. Is it activated, the existing tagsystem would only search those books that have this mastertag. If no mastertags are activated you would still search all your books.
To further support this, mastertags are added on book import. The mastertags are customizable, of course.

I do not know, how hard this would be to implement, but I think it would make many people happy without changing the current workflow.

I hope this helps,

Jan
AmenAmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The concept of "Virtual" libraries has been discussed in this context a numbe rof times and is due to appear shortly.

Note that if you REALLY want separate libraries this can already be done by providing the library folder as a parameter when launching calibre. You can also switch via the Calibre GUI by changing the library path under Preferences. What you cannot have is multiple libraries displayed simulatenously in the GUI.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
AmenAmen
AmenAmen began at the beginning.

Device: archos 9
Then I am happy.
AmenAmen is offline   Reply With Quote