Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #196
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just purchased Scrivener for Windows, using a 20% off coupon I found.

I also own WriteWay Pro, which is a fine program, but I wanted to try a different user interface with my writing.

I've done tons of research on the different programs out there. I'll report back after I've used it for a couple of weeks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #197
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
<snip> I'll report back after I've used it for a couple of weeks.
Don
HI Don,

That's excellent news. I look forward to your opinions.

I think this thread provides some valuable information to new or aspiring novelists. I know I would not have made the same degree of confident progress without the software I've settled on.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #198
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi Alkinea,

will do, but please give me a few days.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #199
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
A easy to use / view is
Focus writer use able on Mac/Windows/Linux
I use and find it great
http://gottcode.org/focuswrite
FocusWriter is my favourite program in which to write poetry. I tried the free version of OmmWriter, but disliked that I couldn't modify it, so was stuck with a wintry background and limited music. So I started using FocusWriter, for which there are downloadable alternative backgrounds, many of them. I also have a folder of New Age mp3's which I downloaded (copyright free). At the beginning of a session, I randomly select about 15mins of music, put Windows Media Player on repeat and play the selection with the WMP volume low. This plays the music quietly while allowing me to hear the keystroke sounds.

For anything in prose, I use Write or Die. Absolutely LOVE the program. I've used it for NaNo, first drafts (I copy and paste into Word's Outline view at body text level), and to ensure that I write something every day. I use a small app called MikkoMatrix for prompts.

These, Word, and a free program called Papel - great for planning - are my absolute faves. I've trialled Scrivener, WriteWay, and many others, but always return to these.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #200
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember when I was vacillating between buying Scrivener (for Windows) and Writeitnow 4.

There are many features in Writeitnow. I'm especially attracted to the index cards - the color and functionality of using them.

However, the 'cute' little icons (designating characters, etc.) sort of turned me off. But, when it came down to price - $32 vs. $59 (any discounts?), I decided on Scrivener. Plus, I like the fact that there appears to be a healthy community of users out there.

I'm not familiar with Papel (or, at least, I don't recall my research on that one). I'll check it out right now.

I enjoy reading what other members use and the reasons for deciding on what choices were made.

Don
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #201
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's a link for a now discontinued writing program - RoughDraft -

http://www.salsbury.f2s.com/rd_overview.htm

Has anyone used this?

Don
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #202
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A link to Papel's homepage: http://papel.teiru.net/papel/index.html

The site will give you lots of info; if you're not a visual person, it may not be the program for you. You begin with a bare screen, save it as the name of your project (New Story), then right click anywhere on the screen. A 'Papel' will open, this will begin as a box in which you choose the papel type - character, location, plot, scene, etc - and name it. You can add some details in this box. This is the property box. Close it, an icon appears on the screen which is relevant to the type of papel. (I spent lots of time customising my own using the theme options downloadable at the site.) If you click on the Papel, a txt box opens into which you can type more ideas about this character, or whatever.

While I was doing Nano, I found this a great way to keep track of ideas which would pop into my head; if I wasn't at my computer, I'd make a note, get to the pc and open Papel, copying the note to the relevant part, or creating a new papel (icon).

I like this way of keeping ideas together because it allows an overview of the entire novel. I then outline in Word etc.

Papel is completely free.

Last edited by BookCat; 09-15-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: My confusion between Rough Draft and Page Four, sorry.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #203
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The developer says he is no longer doing anything with the program, due to his own writing commitments.

Of course, if the program stopped working, then it's completely worthless.

Don
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #204
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The developer says he is no longer doing anything with the program, due to his own writing commitments.

Of course, if the program stopped working, then it's completely worthless.

Don

Personally, I would not invest any time in a program that the developers have abandoned in place. You will always be just one windows update/mac update/linux update from losing everything.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #205
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Personally, I would not invest any time in a program that the developers have abandoned in place. You will always be just one windows update/mac update/linux update from losing everything.
True unless you already know it.

I think most writers like to look for better methods to use. If nothing else it eases some of the tedium of just slogging through the detail oriented tasks of background material, research of various kinds, etc.

Google makes it easier in one way gathering a lot of info, but it then is difficult to select what to keep.

You can spend too much time on the detail and then that tires you for the important tasks.

It would be interesting to see programs that writers use divided or rated into groups like:

outline
visual
note-cards
idea
theme
story lines/boards
timelines
etc.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #206
BookCat
C L J

When I woke up this morning, I realised that I'd confused Rough Draft with Page Four. Page Four was the software I'd tried. So I downloaded Rough Draft. It looks just like a word processor, nothing more, and I couldn't find a manual.

Page Four was the one which simply stopped working after the trial period instead of reverting to a limited free version.

Sorry for the muddle; I've edited the former post.

As for Papel, grab it while you can, it's brilliant. I haven't had a single problem with the program and have enjoyed creating my own themes. There's a 'read me' txt which tells how to do this. Customisation allowed me to set the categories I wanted (male character/female character, or: major character/minor character; I also wanted a 'beast' category, for which I used the cow icon from the ufo theme, and 'paranormal' for which I used the alien icon also from the ufo theme). I'm a visual person and had fun doing this.

The developer's site should have closed down in 2006, luckily, he's keeping it open. Try it, you have nothing to lose, it's totally free.

(I have no affiliation with the makers of this program, just think it's great!)

Last edited by BookCat; 09-15-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #207
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
When I woke up this morning, I realised that I'd confused Rough Draft with Page Four. Page Four was the software I'd tried. So I downloaded Rough Draft. It looks just like a word processor, nothing more, and I couldn't find a manual.

Page Four was the one which simply stopped working after the trial period instead of reverting to a limited free version.

Sorry for the muddle; I've edited the former post.

As for Papel, grab it while you can, it's brilliant. I haven't had a single problem with the program and have enjoyed creating my own themes. There's a 'read me' txt which tells how to do this. Customisation allowed me to set the categories I wanted (male character/female character, or: major character/minor character; I also wanted a 'beast' category, for which I used the cow icon from the ufo theme, and 'paranormal' for which I used the alien icon also from the ufo theme). I'm a visual person and had fun doing this.

The developer's site should have closed down in 2006, luckily, he's keeping it open. Try it, you have nothing to lose, it's totally free.

(I have no affiliation with the makers of this program, just think it's great!)
Do you have his site address? I have just tried to d/l from papel . en . softronic . com and I am getting a virus/trojan warning.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #208
BookCat
C L J

It's posted in post #202
http://papel.teiru.net/papel/index.html

When you arrive at the site, just move down the first page and click on downloads in the left column.
This will take you to another page on the developer's site where you can download the program and various themes (which I recommend).

Totally virus free. At least my anti-virus software doesn't set off alarms.

Last edited by BookCat; 09-15-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #209
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It's posted in post #202
http://papel.teiru.net/papel/index.html

When you arrive at the site, just move down the first page and click on downloads in the left column.
This will take you to another page on the developer's site where you can download the program and various themes (which I recommend).

Totally virus free. At least my anti-virus software doesn't set off alarms.
Sorry, missed the previous link. That worked fine this time, thanks.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #210
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

HOWEVER, as correctly stated [a few posts above], RoughDraft is no longer being developed. From the developer's website FAQ:

"What's the license for RoughDraft?

RoughDraft is freeware.

Is RoughDraft still being developed

No - it's been gracefully retired."

So, we have one program no longer being developed and another program (PageFour) that stopped working after the trial, rather than reverting to a limited, free version.

Don