Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
some troubles with Calibre and DR

how can i set calibre to make mobi out of my feeds instead of epub? its also transferring them automatically to my DR, thats okay, but not in epub

and if i want to transfer them manually, there is often an error message, someone else reported that? but not everytime

calibre is also creating an "ebooks" folder on my DR, where my feeds have been saved
thats maybe because of setting an ebooks folder as standard folder for my calibre library, but i installed calibre again and set my library to a folder called calibre, but its still creating a folder called ebooks on my DR

how can i change this?

edit: if i transfer my feeds manually to my DR and choose to select a specific format, i have always to confirm the conversion to mobi 3 times

Last edited by Floeee; 09-16-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
I think it use the default conversion format in the preference when converting. Change that to mobi and it should work
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Floeee
Groupie

ok thanks that worked, but now i recognized that mobi is not usable to read feeds, the index is totally corrupt

i have added an example for mobi and epub to explain what i mean
Attached Files
File Type: mobi diePresse [Mi, 16 Sep 2009] - calibre.mobi (329.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: epub diePresse [Mi, 16 Sep 2009] - calibre.epub (349.5 KB, 165 views)
Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
In Calibre, go to Preferences->Plugins, select the IRex DR 1000 interface plugin, click on the Customize plugin button. A window pops up. De-select epub as the DR doesn't support epub yet. As mobi is now at the top, it will use that as first preference. Then edit the default conversion format as Landrovan suggested.

As to the ebook subdirectory, I had asked about that previously. Apparently there's a security issue where an ebook could un/intentionally overwrite a system file. If you really want that functionality back you'd need to edit the source code. I just learned to deal with it

What I do is create short cuts of books I want to read to the front page so they're easy to find.

Hope that helps.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Floeee
Groupie

no its not about the subdirectories of the ebooks, its about the main directory that i want to change

but thank you for you help the transfers are now doing well

and im now doing some tests with pdf, because i think pdf handles the formatting of feeds much better than mobi
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

I misread your original post. Ebooks all go the ebook directory and that's hardcoded. I was under the impression that feeds were save somewhere else by default. Maybe someone else can chime in?

The directory name you set when installing Calibre is where the database and imported books and feeds are stored. It's not where Calibre saves to the reader.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Floeee
Groupie

yeah at first installing calibre i have set the name of the main directory to "ebooks" and now its creating a folder also called "ebooks" on my DR, where my feeds are getting saved

so i wanted to change this

installed calibre new and deleted the hole "ebooks" directory (because got some strange failure messages while moving the library) and now im saving them into a folder which i named "calibre"

but if i transfer my feeds to the DR its creating the folder "ebooks" again and in this folder a new one is called "news" which is finde, but i dont want the main folder "ebooks" because i manage my real ebooks via windows and not with calibre

i want to use calibre only for my feeds
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
yeah at first installing calibre i have set the name of the main directory to "ebooks" and now its creating a folder also called "ebooks" on my DR, where my feeds are getting saved

so i wanted to change this

installed calibre new and deleted the hole "ebooks" directory (because got some strange failure messages while moving the library) and now im saving them into a folder which i named "calibre"

but if i transfer my feeds to the DR its creating the folder "ebooks" again and in this folder a new one is called "news" which is finde, but i dont want the main folder "ebooks" because i manage my real ebooks via windows and not with calibre

i want to use calibre only for my feeds
Okay, here's the deal. The directory you chose during installation is where Calibre saves its own internal database and data. It's not where it saves to the reader. You can change the installation directory to whatever you want, but the ebooks directory it saves to on the reader is hardcoded in the program. If you want to change that directory you need to modify the source code to the program. For that, ask Koval, but you'll have to do that again every time you update.

You can either learn to live with the ebook directory or modify the source code. There is no place in the preferences that you can change that.

Right now, if you use Calibre, you will always have that ebook directory. Kovid has made it clear that's not changing anytime soon.

The directory Calibre saves to on the reader is set permanently in the program. To change that, you need to modify the source code of the program itself.

The alternative is to just get used to it like I, and others, have done

Hope this clears things up.

Edit: repetitive, but this keeps popping up pretty regularly. Maybe make it sticky in the Calibre forum

Last edited by animedude01; 09-16-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Floeee
Groupie

ok thank you very much

now i got some new problems

getting feeds in epub is very nice, but only for computer (because i cant read them with the DR), when i convert them into mobipocket or even if i already create my feeds in mobi, there is no index or just a not active index (and also not pretty) which you can tap and it jumps to the right page, so i have to read news after news which is not very useful reading feeds, because there can also be about 50 new news per day on some sites and i want to read only 4 of them and i dont want to navigate through all of them

with epub there is an index and also a list with the headlines and a summary, then i can click on that and im getting the hole news, i want that for my mobi or pdf

if i convert them into pdf, it looks fine and i have a nice index but the index is not active
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
animedude01
Addict

I've had that problem with my mobi feeds, but I've just started to play with it so don't have a solution to that. Has anyone else dealt with this successfully?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Floeee
Groupie

so i think this is a fault by calibre and im so tired to play with all those formats
thats also the reason why i bought the DR, because i dont want to convert all my pdf

now i found this nice software from mobipocket reader which is really great for rss, muuuuch better also to read on the pc and on my DR
i think its also better than my rss plugin of firefox and i will use that from now on

its not recognizing my DR as a reader, but as a disc, automatic sync doesnt work, but maybe i will get rid of this and until i will sync them manually

Last edited by Floeee; 09-16-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'm not sure I understand your problem, however:
I use the Calibre newsfeeds adn set the defaults to Mobi and they succesfully get transferred to the DR, no issues. Yes they go to the ebooks, News... directory but that is hardly a hardship as it's easy to navigate the DR.
The newsfeeds generate a TOC at the end of the feed and tapping on any item in that takes you to the page. In my case I never use the TOC, but it does work. At least with the newsfeeds I use.

Additionally you can manually save your books, newsfeeds to whatever direcory you want, just use the save to disk function in Calibre and set it so it doesn't auto save to the DR.

Last edited by pthwaite; 09-16-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: can't spell ...
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Floeee
Groupie

this TOC is laborious
i dont want to navigate in every feed at first to the end, read all headlines, navigate to this news i want to read and then navigate again to the end
sometimes i have also no idea what a headline means and with epub i have just a sentence as a summary

now the articles in my feeds show only "this feed was downloaded from *url*" and nothing else

the feeds created with mobipocket software just work fine, but have no pictures or good formating

the functions like "main menu" are also not working

Last edited by Floeee; 09-17-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Floeee
Groupie

is there any possibility to get the feeds as pdf with working links for navigation? because it looks exactly like epub, but without working links
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #15
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
is there any possibility to get the feeds as pdf with working links for navigation? because it looks exactly like epub, but without working links
The PDF rendering library used does not support working links in PDF files at this time.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote