Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Kiz
Kiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
CHM to EPUB using Calibre

Hi,

Excellent Forum, only recently got my reader and this site has been great.

I have a Sony PRS-505 and I'm using Calibre to convert files I have to EPUB.

I am in the process of trying to convert a CHM to EPUB.

I've extracted the HTML and created a TOC html file. However, when I convert the book to EPUB not all the text seems to appear. It's difficult to explain in words, but say chapter 1 requires 5 pages on the ebook, then I can see the first page, then the reader skips to page 6 which is blanks then page 7 is the start of the next chapter...

I can see the complete book in the EPUB viewer in Calibre, however the Sony Ebook library viewer displays the same as the reader.

I've converted the book to LRF format, but this doesn't seem to format the book as well as EPUB.

Any help / tips would be appreciated.

Kiz
Kiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
this is likely happening because the text is in non reflowable elements in the html like <pre> or <table> that the reader can't handle
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Kiz
Kiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the response. Yes the text is all in a Table format, on all pages (200 files!).

Is editing the HTML the only work around? I may have to stick with LRF format...

P.S Excellent product...
Kiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

use the linearize tables option
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
p0rt3r
p0rt3r began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Hi all,

I created an ePub from chm and it worked just fine seemingly, but after a few pages of reading I discovered following problem:

Although the ePub is correct from the sides, if the original chm page was longer as my iRiver can display, it simply crops the bottom even if it`s a half the page size.

My question would be, can we set Calibre to break pages to the same size or do something about creating pages with very different length?

Any help is welcome.
p0rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the linearize tables option.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
p0rt3r
p0rt3r began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Sir,

thank you it worked. I really appreciate you helping me on this matter.

Calibre is an excellent software and I understand your commitment to knowledge making it available free for everybody.

Respectfully,

Zoltan Balazs
p0rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Siddharth.Shetye
Siddharth.Shetye began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the linearize tables option.
Hi Kovid,

I signed up to send you this message. 1st off, awesome s/w !! Makes my ipad so much more useful.

Secondly, could you rename the linearize table option to something more simple? Or at least have a small sentence saying when to turn it on (eg "Enable if your book skips pages into the next chapter") ?

Cheers
Sid
Siddharth.Shetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
findmory
findmory began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
CHM problem

All other formats working fine, but when I try to convert CHMs I get similar errors:

ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (KeePass Password Safe Help)

Convert book 1 of 1 (

InputFormatPlugin: CHM Input running
<snip>

Is this a permissions problem? there is no folder: calibre_0.6.50_jyvkz3_chm2oeb in my appData path.

Last edited by findmory; 05-03-2010 at 07:35 PM.
findmory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you need to update to 0.6.51
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
findmory
findmory began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
yes that was it! thanks so much
findmory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
veug
veug began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
When I try to convert CHM file, I get an error:
AttributeError: 'HTMLInput' object has no attribute '_is_case_sensitive'

Thanks
veug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by veug View Post
When I try to convert CHM file, I get an error:
AttributeError: 'HTMLInput' object has no attribute '_is_case_sensitive'

Thanks
I'm having the same problem.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that is a regression in 0.6.52 will be fixed in the next release
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
raffdoc
raffdoc began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone
Hello Kovid
I have tried but chm to epub noway! Can you give some more tips?
raffdoc is offline   Reply With Quote