Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Replacement cables

Despite being happy with my Sony as a reader, I bought a nook hd+ on a whim, and it's a great tablet.

A bit of web searching has shown that some people are finding the cables break.

I can't seem to find any third party cables, just the expensive official ones - although I've not done much searching.

Do cheap replacement cables exist?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The Nook Color had a cable that was very fragile, and a lot of people had problems with that cable.
I have read no complaints about the Nook HD/HD+ cable. The HD tablets use a different cable, that appears to be very robust.
I do not think third party cables exist.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I have been looking for a replacement cable for my HD+ and it seems generic ones dont exist.
I find the connection on my HD+ quite loose. I only have to bump the device or cable for it to stop charging. This appears to be a fairly common issue.
I want another cable just to have as a spare but I'm looking at over $50NZD to get one shipped to me in New Zealand. Thats just extortion.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I have had my nook HD for only about a 2 1/2 months with no issue. My nook Color had issues with the plug being lose. The store in town took care of the replacement for me, just call and check if they can replace yours. good luck
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
ShimSham
Enthusiast
ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch, Nook HD/HD+ and Hudl2
You can buy a replacement cable and usb wall charger for £10 delivered from B&N.
http://www.nook.com/gb/accessories/u.../9780594515364
ShimSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Be careful with the part that plugs into the HD or HD+ (we have both tablets and it's the same charger) - if the plug gets bent even a tiny bit it will no longer work. My dd bent hers last week and borrowed my charger and had the same thing happen. Luckily, last weekend B&N was having a 50% off sale on the charger/cord so we got 2 new ones. I think they do this periodically so it's a good time to get a spare when they do it again.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Nook Replacement cables

In almost 3 years, I have had seven replacement cables. B&N replaced cables free while the device was under warranty. After the warranty ended, I purchased one cable. When it broke, I returned it with the receipt for a free replacement. Although the cables are easily broken, B&N has been very generous with replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Despite being happy with my Sony as a reader, I bought a nook hd+ on a whim, and it's a great tablet.

A bit of web searching has shown that some people are finding the cables break.

I can't seem to find any third party cables, just the expensive official ones - although I've not done much searching.

Do cheap replacement cables exist?
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Nova5
Enthusiast
Nova5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just stick the nook stg onto my phone charger, its nothing but a micro USB connector. No need to pay for an overpriced branded cable. USB A to MicroUSB is the standard non iPhone cellphone charging cable. Plus numerous tablets and other devices. Get cheaper ones on amazon. The will work with the nook charger.
Nova5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
I just stick the nook stg onto my phone charger, its nothing but a micro USB connector. No need to pay for an overpriced branded cable. USB A to MicroUSB is the standard non iPhone cellphone charging cable. Plus numerous tablets and other devices. Get cheaper ones on amazon. The will work with the nook charger.
The Nook Simple Touch takes a micro USB, the Nook HD tablet doesn't.

No third party leads exist for the Nook HD or HD+. I bought two spares as soon as I bought my tablet for that reason.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
In almost 3 years, I have had seven replacement cables. B&N replaced cables free while the device was under warranty. After the warranty ended, I purchased one cable. When it broke, I returned it with the receipt for a free replacement. Although the cables are easily broken, B&N has been very generous with replacements.
I think you'll find that generosity only exists in the US, where you have B&N stores. Outside the US no stores exist.

My advice to anyone with a Nook HD or HD+ is to shop around online and get a spare lead, if you need to pay full price then do it. Third party leads do not exist.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
FYI, US B&N has the cables for $13 now. It's much better than the $25 they were trying to charge.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote