Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #241
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Damn, nobody warned me!

<These are not the droids you're looking for.>

EDIT: Well, that's gonna look silly at the top of a new page... Just my luck ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-30-2012 at 11:39 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #242
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Damn, nobody warned me!

<These are not the droids you're looking for.>

EDIT: Well, that's gonna look silly at the top of a new page... Just my luck ^^.
Yeah, I missed the notice that said we aren't supposed to reply to screensaver questions anymore too (and apparently not even discuss the topic anymore).

... unless I am completely misinterpreting ixtab's posts.

NOTE: For those who do not understand recent posts in this thread, they are just a humorous interlude between friends, not to be taken (completely) seriously.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-31-2012 at 08:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #243
Portia
Portia doesn't litterPortia doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
I freely admit that I really, really don't have the technical know-how to even begin to find a solution to my screensaver problem. (But if you need advice on international arbitration, I'd be all over it.)

I tried installing Yifan Lu's simple screensaver hack as suggested in the KT wiki page (after carefully making sure all my custom screensavers were properly named and formatted), but no luck. It seems to download from the USB drive onto the Kindle fine, or a least I get "update your kindle" option on the settings menu. Then it restarts but eventually I get the "update unsuccessful Error 3" message. I tried to figure out the explanations of how to fix that error, but frankly got lost in the jargon. So I'm going to keep searching here and the rest of the internet for a fix, while hoping that some kind, generous, and non-judgmental developer here will come up with a simple solution to rescue us ignorant non-techies.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #244
Portia
Portia doesn't litterPortia doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
In case someone has the same problem, I fixed my screensaver issue by uninstalling the simple screensaver hack, then uinstalling the old custom screensaver hack, then uninstalling the jailbreak. Then reinstalled the jailbreak. After copying my images to my hard drive, I deleted the "screensaver" folder in my KT USB root drive. I reinstalled the simple screensaver hack, and it created a new "screensaver" folder with the standard KT pens and pencils images. (And I also think I made a mistake in including the .png extension in the names of the images for the simple hack, which shows you how ignorant I really am.) So all is good now.

Thanks to the gurus who created the jailbreaks and the hacks.

Last edited by Portia; 06-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #245
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
In case someone has the same problem, I fixed my screensaver issue by uninstalling the simple screensaver hack, then uinstalling the old custom screensaver hack, then uninstalling the jailbreak. Then reinstalled the jailbreak. After copying my images to my hard drive, I deleted the "screensaver" folder in my KT USB root drive. I reinstalled the simple screensaver hack, and it created a new "screensaver" folder with the standard KT pens and pencils images. (And I also think I made a mistake in including the .png extension in the names of the images for the simple hack, which shows you how ignorant I really am.) So all is good now.

Thanks to the gurus who created the jailbreaks and the hacks.
Thanks for posting how you fixed your problem.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #246
confoozedman
confoozedman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
hi guys, just wanna confirm i'm going to be doing this right, as I have no experience with kindle modding. I'm using a Touch with 5.1.2, and I've downloaded the jailbreak to install the simple method way, and then I have downloaded simple screensaver 1.0, per the wiki. Just wanted to make sure I've got everything correct!
confoozedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #247
dlion
dlion began at the beginning.

Device: KT
data.tar.gz works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I think I just found an alternative way of jailbreaking the device. I actually stumbled upon this while looking for a way to de-brick a KT which is not showing any UI, but is at least capable of booting up to the point of announcing itself as a USB device.

So here's how it goes:
- /etc/upstart/filesystems.conf contains a line to extract, and then delete, /mnt/us/data.tar.gz if present
- this file can be made to contain absolute path locations. ("tar cvfzP").
- This alone only allows us to write to whatever is already mounted read-write. But that includes, for example, "/var/local/system/locale".
- The locale file in turn is sourced from pretty much everywhere ("source /var/local/system/locale"), and can contain shell code.

I'm attaching a proof-of-concept exploit. *RENAME* RUNME.sh.txt to RUNME.sh, then just copy both files to /mnt/us (or even just into the root folder via USB drive). Then reboot. The result should be:
- Three new files in /mnt/us/, namely RUNME.{done,out,err}. For reasons completely obscure to me, sometimes the .out file stays empty, even though it shouldn't. May just be a FS syncing problem though. In any case, the actual execution DID take place in all cases (for me).
- For the proof-of-concept, a copy of /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/default.properties has been made as "jb.properties".

As said, this may not only be useful for jailbreaking, but also for de-bricking devices which don't properly get the UI running anymore. As long as USB drive access works, this method should also work. For a bricked device, the reboot is achieved by long-pressing (30 secs?) the power button.

Let me know if this is reproducible.

UPDATE: For newbies: This is NOT a jailbreak! DO NOT USE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHY AND HOW TO USE IT CORRECTLY!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! TY,TY,TY

The data.tar.gz and runme.sh copy to KT root WORKED.
My KT was bricked after I tried to update with yifanlu's exploit more than a year ago. It's been a long wait for a working fix.
It was stuck at tree screen with no progress bar, but I could see the kindle drive in windows via usb.
So I tried the above copy to kindle fix, and the 30 second reboot. The KT reboot twice and then started normally. I was still registered.
I can't remember if I had books on it, but all it has now are the dics and U-G.
The OS is 5.0.4.

I now have 2 KT's because I got a replcmnt from AMZ (after a long talk with a tech).
Thanks a million.
dlion is offline   Reply With Quote