Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
How will BeBook react to price cuts?

With the Kindle 3 WiFi model costing $139 and the Sony PRS-600 available for well under $200, the BeBook Neo now looks seriously overpriced at $433 (EUR 329). It seems to me that they need to react to market changes in the next few months by A) lowering prices or B) adding new functionality in order to regain a competitive advantage.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Bebook Neo is $299 and not $433. I realize you probably got to that number by converting the price in Euro to Dollars.

All of the companies that lowered their price substantially are selling ebooks so with their lowered price they try to get their customers committed to their stores. Even if they don't make much profit selling a reader they'll make up for it selling ebooks.

But yes if Onyx or Bebook don't lower their prices they will eventually be left behind.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Quote:
Bebook Neo is $299 and not $433. I realize you probably got to that number by converting the price in Euro to Dollars.
Here in Europe the Bebook Neo costs €329, which was about $433 when I checked yesterday. Where is it available for $299?
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
To tell the truth, they raised prices in Europe: it was 299 €, now it's 329 €
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

When I go to the mybebook website (I'm in Canada) it shows $299. Maybe they adjust the price depending on your ip address.

[Image too large horizontally. Please repost to normal size.]

Maybe your price includes VAT.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well here in Australia it appears their reaction is to up the price the Neo from $589AUS to $650AUS. Either their automated currency exchange is not working or they think we will pay that kind of money locally.

Sorry BeBook, but for that money people would opt for an iPad. I guess they don't really care as if someone wants a Neo they will look overseas and BeBook will end up with the sale regardless.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
jamesd-ie
jamesd-ie began at the beginning.

Device: Archos A70
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
When I go to the mybebook website (I'm in Canada) it shows $299. Maybe they adjust the price depending on your ip address.

[IMG]...[/IMG]

Maybe your price includes VAT.
Yes prices in the EU nearly always show price including VAT(19% in the Netherlands where it ships from).

Price including shipping is shown as €338.95(€329 + €9.95) which is approx. US$433 or CAD$450.
[Image too large. Please repost to normal size.]
Seem to remember it being €299(+shipping) before.

The Kindle with Wifi works out at about €140.
The wacom technology is probably expensive to implement/licence but is it worth €200 more.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
jamesd-ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist

In your case I would go for kindle too. When the Sony 600 came out I was going to buy one but then I got ticked off at Sony because they would always charge about 100$ more here in Canada even though the exchange rate was considerably less than that (600 was $399 here in the beginning). And it had nothing to do with taxes either. Now they sell them for $229 here and for $169 in the US. So I applaud amazon for selling the kindle at the same price no matter where you live. And I think they dropped the $2 per book fee they used to charge if you didn't live in the US.

I think if I were to buy my first reader now I would probably pick kindle over boox because of the huge price difference.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well here in Australia it appears their reaction is to up the price the Neo from $589AUS to $650AUS. Either their automated currency exchange is not working or they think we will pay that kind of money locally.

Sorry BeBook, but for that money people would opt for an iPad. I guess they don't really care as if someone wants a Neo they will look overseas and BeBook will end up with the sale regardless.
Hi Slicitious, et al,

I too, noted the AUD price when I connected to the BeBook website, and queried whether it was right or not. Part of their response is:

The price is so high because of extra duties and tarrifs in Australia.

My (as yet unanswered) response was in part:

"...our customs people do not levy any duties if the value of the goods is below AUD$1000, and from your email below, there is a suggestion that your online pricing includes the collection of any duties or tariffs on behalf of the Australian Government, presumably to forward to them.

I question the validity of your suggestion and pricing structure, primarily because any tariffs, taxes, import duties, and so on, would be levied against me, not you..."

I immediately started looking at PocketBook models.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd-ie View Post
Yes prices in the EU nearly always show price including VAT(19% in the Netherlands where it ships from).

Price including shipping is shown as €338.95(€329 + €9.95) which is approx. US$433 or CAD$450.
[Image too large. Quoted.]
Seem to remember it being €299(+shipping) before.

The Kindle with Wifi works out at about €140.
The wacom technology is probably expensive to implement/licence but is it worth €200 more.
It was always 329 from BeBook. The 299 was from another site...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
I question the validity of your suggestion and pricing structure, primarily because any tariffs, taxes, import duties, and so on, would be levied against me, not you..."
If BeBook are importing them into Australia THEN selling them, such as the bebook.net.au reseller there is the 10% GST and I believe a 5% customs fee for imported goods that are intended for sale. This would represent a small increase but nowhere near what they are claiming.

If on the other hand you are buying and they are shipping from the Netherlands, then you are right, all taxes/levies are applied to you, but being under $1500 you wont inccur GST or customs fees.

Either way they are point blank ripping us off. If you are keen on the 6" reader go to DA Direct, they are Australian, they sell the 6" branded as the Eco Reader. They are selling it for $299Aus. Beats the $499Aus for the same from BeBook.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
<snip>

Either way they are point blank ripping us off. If you are keen on the 6" reader go to DA Direct, they are Australian, they sell the 6" branded as the Eco Reader. They are selling it for $299Aus. Beats the $499Aus for the same from BeBook.
Hi Solicitious,

agreed re the pricing. (Didn't know Customs had bumped the limit up toAUD$1500 though, thought it was still $1000.) My understanding is that the purchase through the website was a direct purchase.

The $299 for the ECO reader is plus shipping, plus credit card surcharge, last I looked, bringing the total to around AUD$320, which is still better value than through BeBook's site, though the current exchange rate makes buying other readers from overseas more attractive again.

As a toe-in-the-water exercise, I've purchased a couple of inexpensive readers (Augen), and if they go well, then I can pass them on to my daughters, and following hoped-for price drops, purchase eInk readers.

There are several issues for me, price only being one of them. Quality, robustness, versatility are others.

Cheers,
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
niggle
niggle began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi Solicitious,

agreed re the pricing. (Didn't know Customs had bumped the limit up toAUD$1500 though, thought it was still $1000.) My understanding is that the purchase through the website was a direct purchase.

The $299 for the ECO reader is plus shipping, plus credit card surcharge, last I looked, bringing the total to around AUD$320, which is still better value than through BeBook's site, though the current exchange rate makes buying other readers from overseas more attractive again.

As a toe-in-the-water exercise, I've purchased a couple of inexpensive readers (Augen), and if they go well, then I can pass them on to my daughters, and following hoped-for price drops, purchase eInk readers.

There are several issues for me, price only being one of them. Quality, robustness, versatility are others.

Cheers,
Hi Solicitous/Metal Mick

I bought the Onyx Boox 60 from Dulins Books a month or so back - excellent service, and cost me $430 including shipping to Oz. Bebook sell the identical product here for $569 (Bebook Neo). Uni Co-op sell to members at $499. I had the original Hanlin V3 - same as Bebook 1 (bought from DA last year for $499). This was ok, but cheaply made and although it still works, one of the page turn buttons was getting very intermittant.

The Onyx Boox seems a real step up in quality to the Hanlin V3/Bebook 1, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. My daughter is using the Hanlin now.

I thoroughly recommend Dulin's Books if you are happy to import rather than wanting to buy locally.

Cheers - Niggle
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi Niggle, et al,

many thanks for that. I know of Dullin's books and have considered them and will consider them again for my next purchase.

Yes, I am happy to "import" - no qualms whatsoever, for I get my archery gear mostly from overseas.

I was just somewhat perplexed by the BeBook charges and reasons they gave.

Regards,
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
BeBoook was my original choice for an ereader but I changed my mind when I realised how their "exchange rate" in Australia was very peculiar! As for saying they have to pay tariffs? We have a practically free economy when it comes to buying small items from overseas. In fact, relatives who live in Europe come here with almost empty suitcases and nothing but a few old clothes, then go back with same cases stuffed with clothing, shoes and anything else they can buy. I get their old clothes to donate to my local charity!
But charging Australians high prices for import goods had a long and illustrious history in Europe before we decided to spend our hard earned dollars with China!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote