Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Busted Curlies

This USED to work........

I've got some ebooks I've been updating recently in MobiCreator.

The Curly Quotes and Curly Apostrophes are now showing as unprintable characters in MobiPocket. (a box)

To my ever-lovin'-best-knowledge, I did not change the encoding on either the source files nor the opf.

Did I turn something off?

This is using mobiPocket Creator V4.2 build 41.

In fact - I'm looking at 2 files, both with the curly apostrophe encoded as [’] one works in Mobi, the other doesn't.

Are there Brilliances to be had?
-bjc

Last edited by brewt; 03-24-2009 at 08:39 PM.
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is typically caused by an encoding mismatch. Either the base HTML (or whatever) is specifying windows-1252 but using UTF-8 or isn't specifying anything and you are getting windows-1252 by default. The default can be changed to UTF-8 under Tools -> Settings -> Default Encoding. If the imported document has the wrong setting then this needs to be changed too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Hmmm. My old friend Word (which is what I concocted the html in - don't say it) says it is encoding in Western European ISO, when I Open the file in TED, it says the carriage returns are in Win/Ansi, the file header says <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">, and Mobi says it's default (and document-specific) encoding is Western Windows 1252.
The code used for the apostrophe is [& # 8 2 1 7 ;] (had to space it to keep from making one when posted).

If I make a New Document out of the air, it all seems fine.

Wonder how I broke what I had......

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe you are using a font that does not have those characters?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
Wonder how I broke what I had......

-bjc
Installed the most recent mobipocket creator is my guess.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I found that, using the recent build of Mobipocket Creator, you need to insert into your .html, in the <head> section, the following line for all those nice HTML entities to be properly represented:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
Strange that they don't support this as THE default!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I believe that if the quotes are written with &# 8271; or & rsquo; or whatever, the particular encoding used does not matter at all.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote