Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none

Let me start by saying I am a newbie to all this... I am writing in the Sony subforum because I plan to get the t1. few starter questions 1. Can books I buy be downloaded directly to calibre then I transfer to ereader? 2. Can I buy ebooks from barnes and noble for sony ereader , if so,where does it get stored before it gets onto my ereader?
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Welcome to the forum, and I think you're making a good choice.

I certainly don't claim to know everything about downloading, and I can't buy from B&N because I live in Australia. This is what I do on my computer running Windows 7:
- I probably get more books from the MobileRead library than I buy, and I download them into the Downloads folder
- I buy books from several ebooks stores, and usually downoad them through Adobe Digital Editions which puts them in the My Digital Editions folder. I expect that B&N has its own desktop reader, will make it's own folder on your computer, and will tell you what the folder is called.
- B&N makes it's ebooks for the Nook, which use a different DRM system than anyone else. So you will need to meet my friend Apprentice Alf to help you remove the DRM. I do this routinely for every ebook which has been defiled by DRM before I load it on the my Sony.
- Once the ebook has been cleansed I use calibre to copy it from whatever folder it's in to the calibre library, and from the calibre library to the reader.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
Let me start by saying I am a newbie to all this... I am writing in the Sony subforum because I plan to get the t1. few starter questions 1. Can books I buy be downloaded directly to calibre then I transfer to ereader? 2. Can I buy ebooks from barnes and noble for sony ereader , if so,where does it get stored before it gets onto my ereader?
Dunno where you are, but generally, you buy/get them, they say you've bought/got them, you are then offered an option to Open with/to Reader (if you've done the Sony registering etc..) or to Save to file - thats what you want, ....to File.
Up pops d/loads panel, when loaded, rt. click it, select Open Containing Folder, and just Drag'nDrop the highlighted file to Calibre Library area.
Connect T1 up, hit Data Transfer Mode on T1, hit Send to Device, & that's it.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote