Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
jdomingos76
Enthusiast
jdomingos76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and 3 Int
Question about the font hack

I’m a long time user of the screen saver hack, but I have been hesitant to use the font hack. I built in my mind an idea that it can take additional resources from the Kindle: slow processing or fast battery consumption. Please those who know how the hack works can reassure me that it doesn’t? Thanks
jdomingos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It might consume a bit more of cpu time, but it very well might consume less, depending on which freetype settings you're using, and the fonts you're using.

(I'm pretty sure that the autohint freetype override is faster than the original lib, for example).

I never really benchmarked any of this, but if there is an effect on battery life (either way), it should be minimal.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
It is certainly easier to read at a smaller font size. Thanks!
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote