Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
WSJ Article on Ship Dates for Nook

Has anyone read this article from WSJ blogs?
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/...date-for-nook/

The first wave of customers was given a ship date of late November, the second wave was told December 7, and the third was told December 11. The article warns that if you want the Nook by Christmas, you should order it now.

It was also covered on TeleRead:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/11/14/q...-for-the-nook/

I want one. I have lots of eReader files from my Palm days. They work better than I expected on my laptop, but still, I want a real portable ereader. Waah!

I'm still keeping my eBookwise because it's rugged, so I can lug it around in a purse or bookbag without worrying about damage. And because it would make a good weapon against a mugger.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
FYI, the jetbook Lite also reads eReader format books and costs 100 dollars less than the nook.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
FYI, the jetbook Lite also reads eReader format books and costs 100 dollars less than the nook.
That looks neat, but I'd probably go through $100 in AA batteries very quickly. Anyway for the non-eInk experience, I still have my nice sturdy eBookwise. (I love the smell of old ebook readers.) It will be fun comparing the two readers once I get the Nook.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Has anyone read this article from WSJ blogs?
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/...date-for-nook/

The first wave of customers was given a ship date of late November, the second wave was told December 7, and the third was told December 11. The article warns that if you want the Nook by Christmas, you should order it now.

It was also covered on TeleRead:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/11/14/q...-for-the-nook/

I want one. I have lots of eReader files from my Palm days. They work better than I expected on my laptop, but still, I want a real portable ereader. Waah!

I'm still keeping my eBookwise because it's rugged, so I can lug it around in a purse or bookbag without worrying about damage. And because it would make a good weapon against a mugger.

oh my! that's quite a frustration I would think!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I don't see where it supports the eReader format. The only thing I see is, "Support of DRM format through Barnes & Nobles." B&N's DRM also applies to EPUB which they explicitly say they support.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Does it display eReader format with DRM? Also, the nook is a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
If you look on the tech specs you'll see that it supports ereader format, which is the format B&N is currently selling all its titles in. I think they're planning to switch entirely to epub next year, but right now their only epub titles are their google books titles. Books purchased from ereader and fictionwise can be sideloaded to the device via usb, but syncing bookmarks and annotations will not be supported with those files.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
possibly the most original reason for keeping an ebookwise i've ever heard. i'll keep that in mind though if even i'm tempted to give mine up (not so far).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
That looks neat, but I'd probably go through $100 in AA batteries very quickly.
Oh no! I went to BJ's the other day, and saw that they sold a battery charger with four AA rechargeable batteries and four AAA rechargeables and a separate pack of eight AA rechargeables for about $25 total.

I think that rechargeables last ten years.

The thing about the jetBook Lite is that in order to get the MSRP down low, they are selling it without items you need. So you spend $149 for the device, $25 for the batteries and charger, maybe $15 for the SD card, and maybe $40 for the pouch or cover. That totals $230, which is in the ballpark but no less than what other 5" devices cost.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
I pre-ordered my Nook over the weekend and got a ship date of 12/18. They must not be able to keep up with shipping or the demand. Oh well, hopefully someone here has the 11/30 ship date so there will be reviews & tips by the time mine ships.
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
thankfully I preordered mine the day it was announced!
I kind of expected this backup but it isn't as bad as the demand for the 1st kindle.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote