Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Bookmarks?

I haven't quite narrowed down my list yet (although I do have my top two choices--txtr and BeBook), but one thing I noticed was lack of any mention of a bookmarking function. I am the type of person who reads several books at once, so bookmarks of some sort are essential. I know the Sony 505 has bookmarks, but it seems that one will be outdated very soon. So can anyone tell me, am I just missing something, or do most ereaders not have bookmarks at all? I'd really hate having to carry around some post-it notes so I can track what page I'm on. Any help with this would be appreciated.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All eBook Readers automatically keep track of what page you're on, and re-open the book on the same page when you next re-open it. "Bookmarks" are a different feature, used to mark specific pages that you want to return to, for some reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you use Mobipocket format in Cybook, you have bookmarks.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HarryT, so even if I switch books in the middle of one, it will remember where I left off?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. That is so.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
evenstr
Enthusiast

Wonderful. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. That is so.
You are right, of course, Harry!

And yet, I personally cannot break myself (not that I am trying too hard either) of bookmarking the page where I left off in a given book.

Is there anything more to my habit than arguable superstition?

Are there any circumstances in which the "current/last read page" information could be lost by the device, but not the bookmark information? I'm guessing not, since both are metadata and probably not differentiated in the backend, despite one being created only implicitly and the other explicitly.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
evenstr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Are there any circumstances in which the "current/last read page" information could be lost by the device, but not the bookmark information? I'm guessing not, since both are metadata and probably not differentiated in the backend, despite one being created only implicitly and the other explicitly.

- Ahi
Thank goodness for that! Before I seriously looked into an ereader, I bought "100 Classic Books" for Nintendo DS. It seems that every time I don't go back to a book within a week the data is corrupt and I have to start over. It's not very encouraging to think that that might happen every time I use it.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstr View Post
Thank goodness for that! Before I seriously looked into an ereader, I bought "100 Classic Books" for Nintendo DS. It seems that every time I don't go back to a book within a week the data is corrupt and I have to start over. It's not very encouraging to think that that might happen every time I use it.
Such a "loss of (meta)data" I think would only occur in the case of a crash, which rarely happens.

Though I don't recall ever trying to see whether it's just last book/page read information got lost during crashes, or if bookmarks were also messed up.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

- Ahi
Probably only a corrupt filesystem, and that would then "break" both bookmarks and the "last page read" storage .