Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
A proper name dictionary is not so useful to me, since I often work with history books having many different proper names. Some recur, but many do not. They matter for that one book, like Ortiz, in a book about Marines, but unknown elsewhere.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
then you can activate one or more of them to use for spellchecking.
That's it!
So I can send to the dictionary "good" a common word.
And to the dictionary "junk" words exotic, bizarre, or proper names.
Well, so now we just need to wait a little ...
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Something faster than the Right click Add to... ?
Yes, let me explain. If you have to add a lot of words the right click and then going to the point add word is too long. Understand me right, its ok when you only have to add some words to the dictionary but if you are working with a lot of unknown words in a book this will sum up and you need always to take care you hit the correct point in the context menu. This will assume a lot of concentration as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme
Or even faster, just define a keyboard shortcut for the Tools->Spellcheck->Add Misspelled Word. Not every function has a predefined shortcut since there are only so many available, but if it’s a function in the menu then you can define a shortcut for it.
Exactly for this I am looking for.

I am using for each book an own user dictionary because it happens often, that a spelling in one book is ok but in another it isn't (e.g. Names, historical books in different ages and so on). I don't want to mix that up in one dictionary because this will end in scrap and the possibility to have a user dictionary is the way I solve this problems.

The only things I am missing is a shortcut key and in addition the possibility to select and deselect active user dictionaries. Last point I manage with moving the unused user dictionary out of the directory. Not elegant but a way to ship around...
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
A proper name dictionary is not so useful to me, since I often work with history books having many different proper names. Some recur, but many do not. They matter for that one book, like Ortiz, in a book about Marines, but unknown elsewhere.
Yes, thats the point.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
That is why I requested the spellcheck to be able to ignore capitalized words.
This is an OpenOffice method I did try two days ago and which maybe can be adapted to EPUB spell-checking.

I just did a successful try with OpenOffice on a 1000 page book including a lot of proper names I had never met. The spell-checking was excruciatingly slow because of these proper names. OO proposals at times were quite funny, but frequently way off the mark.

The OO spell-checker has an option: "ignore all words fully in uppercase".

To perform a quicker spell-checking, I did this:

1. Transform all the words beginning with a capital into words fully in uppercase.
2. Spell-check the book with the option "ignore words fully in uppercase".
3. Convert back the words fully in uppercase into words beginning with a capital.

You take a small risk: you exclude words beginning with a capital. Among them are also some common words (the one which begin a sentence). This is your choice. Also, you may have to write down existing acronyms (CIA, KGB) to restore them later in their former glory. ;-)

Method

This method works with OO. I did not try to adapt it on EPUB.

1. Regex. Option to select: take the case into account.
Look for:
Code:
\<[:upper:]{1}[a-z]{1,}\>
All the concerned words are selected.
Then: Format: change the case: Word fully in capitals.

2. Spellcheck: Like usual but much much quicker.

3. Regex. Option to select: take the case into account.
Look for :
Code:
\<[:upper:]{2,}\>
All the concerned words are selected.
Then: Format: change the case : Capital with each word

Result

Most of the words beginning with a capital were changed into words fully in uppercase. The ones which were not included accented lowercase (like Psamnétique), hyphens (SAINT-Césaire), and apostrophes (T'ang, L'Encyclopedia).
I did not try to perfect the first regex to get a 100% transform result because I was afraid I would lose some of them on the return process. Doing this I got back all of them. But of course, it's safer to save your file before...

This way, I was able to peruse the book much more quickly and managed to correct some common words which I would surely have left over not using this method. I believe it can be an acceptable solution for big books containing a lot of new proper names.

Last edited by roger64; 01-10-2013 at 11:32 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote