Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #76
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Poll already exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I did a quick Google check yesterday to see if any sites other than Kindle related forums were talking about it. I didn't see anything. I think I will put a poll to see how many got replacements. I know it is really not a poll as such, either you did or you didn't, but it will track the numbers though VERY unscientifically.
The poll on this topic is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192631

Of 81 who voted 62 had no problems and 19 had problems.

Since folks are mostly voting there and not commenting, throw in a comment to get it back to page 1.

Its not scientific but it does show lots of folks don't like what they got.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
I did a quick Google check yesterday to see if any sites other than Kindle related forums were talking about it. I didn't see anything. I think I will put a poll to see how many got replacements. I know it is really not a poll as such, either you did or you didn't, but it will track the numbers though VERY unscientifically.
The problem also gets discussed on the official Amazon product forums, although people seem slightly more likely to get drowned out by others telling them they're overreacting over there.

But more tellingly (to me), and the thing that makes me wonder how widespread it is, is that some of the very first customer images that went up on amazon.com were pictures of the splotchy problem. (I wish there was some unified term we could use, heh. Whenever I refer to screen problems with the PW, I'm talking about the multi-color, upper-half, blue/pink/clouds problem. Not the LED spotlight effect which in all honesty does not bug me (probably because of prior PRS700 use and a decade of reading in the dark with crap lighting of one sort or another). Although I also did not have your font 'weight' problem. Just very obvious blue clouds surrounded by pink clouds.)

Quote:
The poll on this topic is here:
He's talking about people who have bad enough problems to get a replacement.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #78
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I received my PW friday night. I've read most of the reviews and problems people reported but I seem to have a different problem then everyone else. My screen and lighting look good but I have a problem with the page refresh. I set the page to refresh every 6 pages but the device has a mind of its own. It goes between a one page refresh and 6 page every few minutes while reading. (its not me changing the setting). And when it does the one page refresh it is slow slower than my kindle 3 or prs350.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #79
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
deleted

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #80
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I received my PW friday night. I've read most of the reviews and problems people reported but I seem to have a different problem then everyone else. My screen and lighting look good but I have a problem with the page refresh. I set the page to refresh every 6 pages but the device has a mind of its own. It goes between a one page refresh and 6 page every few minutes while reading. (its not me changing the setting). And when it does the one page refresh it is slow slower than my kindle 3 or prs350.
Did you load a bunch of books? That sounds more like an idexing slow down. I've got mine set to refresh which each page turn and it is still faster than my K3 was and as fast as my Touch. So there might be another issue involved.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #81
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Did you load a bunch of books? That sounds more like an idexing slow down. I've got mine set to refresh which each page turn and it is still faster than my K3 was and as fast as my Touch. So there might be another issue involved.

I put about 40 books in it last night. I left it plugged in and by morning when I checked it was finished indexing. When I started reading in the morning I thought it was fine but after a few minutes it started acting up again. Then after another few minutes its works fine again.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #82
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
How can you guys tell when it's indexing?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #83
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
How can you guys tell when it's indexing?
From Home screen press the search icon and search for anything. If it is still indexing it will tell you it has X books left to index. I think if you search within a book that has not been indexed it will say the book has not been indexed yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I put about 40 books in it last night. I left it plugged in and by morning when I checked it was finished indexing. When I started reading in the morning I thought it was fine but after a few minutes it started acting up again. Then after another few minutes its works fine again.
Try a restart. If that doesn't fix it a factory reset then slowly add each book. It could be bad book or a defective device but it's hard to know without troubleshooting.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #85
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I actually had issues with the page refresh as well, but next to my other problems, it seemed rather insignificant. On mine, I had the flashing every page, whether I had page refresh on or off (it did not matter a bit), however, when it was set on "off", I would get the ghosting in addition to the flashing. I know it does not make any sense. Because it was a slow refresh, I could see the screen turn black then "white" again. (On my K4S I had never seen it done so slowly, so I never noticed the black.) I thought that was weird, but after letting it sit for a few hours, the problem disappeared on its own.

And, I only had three books on the device at the time, so no indexing in the background.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #86
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I actually had issues with the page refresh as well, but next to my other problems, it seemed rather insignificant. On mine, I had the flashing every page, whether I had page refresh on or off (it did not matter a bit), however, when it was set on "off", I would get the ghosting in addition to the flashing. I know it does not make any sense. Because it was a slow refresh, I could see the screen turn black then "white" again. (On my K4S I had never seen it done so slowly, so I never noticed the black.) I thought that was weird, but after letting it sit for a few hours, the problem disappeared on its own.

And, I only had three books on the device at the time, so no indexing in the background.
I've noticed random page refreshing when what I'm reading has graphics on the page. I was reading a computer book with a lot examples - when I encounter a page with an image the page turn would cause a refresh.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #87
jswinden
Nameless Being

@alism and @xendula. Might be a firmware issue then. Just to be clear though, are we talking about slow page refreshing in Kindle books or in PDFs or in Manga?

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #88
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I've noticed random page refreshing when what I'm reading has graphics on the page. I was reading a computer book with a lot examples - when I encounter a page with an image the page turn would cause a refresh.
This is why I'm wondering what kind of docs they are experiencing the issue in. I'm thinking graphic heavy docs will be an issue, but books shouldn't normally be a problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #89
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I noticed it reading "OSX Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. The refresh is normal until it hits a page with a figure (graphic) in it.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #90
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you need a light that strong when you have direct sunlight? With my 650, there is no way I would want a light when I have direct sunlight.
Also - the battery ratings, I read, were for a setting of 10. The higher you go, the more the effect on battery, of course...
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote