Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Linux

I am about to ask a friend in US to buy me the 505... [Italy here]

One question only: I prefer using Linux machines - has anybody tried it yet to see if Linux recognizes it easily as a USB device???

thank you!

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
I am about to ask a friend in US to buy me the 505... [Italy here]

One question only: I prefer using Linux machines - has anybody tried it yet to see if Linux recognizes it easily as a USB device???

thank you!

Alessandro
Yes, the 505 is recognized as a USB device without the need for special software.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only thing you won't be able to do with Linux is buy books from the Sony Connect Store. That software runs only under Windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only thing you won't be able to do with Linux is buy books from the Sony Connect Store. That software runs only under Windows.
I can live sooo happy without it ...

P.S. The jury is still out on the <silver vs. darkblue case>? Which is better for apparent contrast? (I ask because I wont hold it in my hands before buying...)

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
As he is in Italy, he couldn't anyhow.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
As he is in Italy, he couldn't anyhow.
Sure he could. He could use Connect Gift Certificates, for one thing. Also, several people have reported success from entering entirelt fictitious US addresses when they register.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
P.S. The jury is still out on the <silver vs. darkblue case>? Which is better for apparent contrast? (I ask because I wont hold it in my hands before buying...)
As I said in another thread, I have the librie and my brother has the prs-500. They have the exact same screen but you need to put them side by side to realize it. At any other time the librie's screen feels twice as dark as the reader's.

I'd go for the dark blue if I were you...

Just my two cents.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Sure he could. He could use Connect Gift Certificates, for one thing. Also, several people have reported success from entering entirelt fictitious US addresses when they register.
I didn't know this. All the better.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
They have the exact same screen but you need to put them side by side to realize it.
Not disputing your point on the relative brightness appearance of the two units, but I think the Libriē's screen is a slightly earlier version of e-ink ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Not disputing your point on the relative brightness appearance of the two units, but I think the Libriē's screen is a slightly earlier version of e-ink ....
I've always read that they have the same screen.

This notwithstanding, when displaying the same page (from the same file), they look identical.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, there you go then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote