Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Question Question for Canadian Kindle 3 Owners

A quick question, who delivered your Kindle and did they try and charge you any more money, on top of the fee that Amazon charged? I am a bit worried about UPS and their brokerage fees. They are highway robbers when it comes to charging fees and I hope that the Amazon charge covered that.

Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
For the kindle and the lighted cover, UPS charged me (read stole) about $18 in some brokerage fees!!

I hate UPS, in montreal they only have one pickup point. It's far away and it looks like hell's reception. The employees are slow and careless. It took about 20 minutes for them to get my package. While I was waiting, delivery guys were throwing packages really hard on the floor without a care in the world.

Last edited by Shiren; 09-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hmmmm. That is interesting. I am expecting delivery of mine tomorrow. Amazon already charged me the brokerage fees when I purchased the unit. Further, they shipped mine via DHL (not UPS).

I actually talked to DHL today (for reasons I won't go into) and they told me that they partner with Canada post and once the kindle hits customs, Canada Post takes over and will actually deliver it to me. This was confirmed by a call to Canada Post.

Long story short, I don't expect to pay anything additional (except maybe gst). Will post back once I take delivery.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Percyiris
Percyiris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Kindle 3 Wi-Fi,3G
I received my Kindle 3 on September 9. Prior to delivery I upgraded to Expedited International Shipping.The S/H fees were $12.98USD (the Import Fees Deposit $22.68USD).
The package was delivered by Canada Post, dropped off in my mailbox, no delivery signature required.
Percyiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
ikidunot
ikidunot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G/Wifi
Mine was left in at my place with a quick knock. Went to see who was there and my kindle was tucked in between the doors, saw the back of a Canada Post gentleman getting into his truck to drive off....no extra charges.
ikidunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I've ordered two kindles a couple of months apart and both were delivered without additional fees.

In fact, the $22.68 from my original order was refunded by Amazon some weeks later.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I'd be incredibly pissed if UPS collects even more money. That's what the $22.68 is for.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur

Thanks for the feedback! It seems that Canada Post is the most used. I am not a fan of UPS in Canada either. I understand that in the USA they are well regarded, but my experience in Canada has been far from happy. I hope Canada Post delivers mine, at least they are local too. No UPS stores or locations in Comox/Courtenay. There are some in Campbell River and Nanaimo though.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Unolord
Unolord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Mine was shipped DHL in the US then Canada Post to my work. I usually avoid online purchases that only offer UPS. Worst courier out there.
Unolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert
kindlezzz began at the beginning.

Device: K3 > finally arrived!
You guys get the device on the date indicated by Amazon? Ours was supposed to arrive today but nothing came (Toronto area). DHL Global is the carrier listed in my account and scanned it Sept 4th (I chose standard shipping). I assume it's in the hands of Canada Post now, does Amazon update the tracking info at all or what ?
kindlezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Unolord
Unolord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlezzz View Post
You guys get the device on the date indicated by Amazon? Ours was supposed to arrive today but nothing came (Toronto area). DHL Global is the carrier listed in my account and scanned it Sept 4th (I chose standard shipping). I assume it's in the hands of Canada Post now, does Amazon update the tracking info at all or what ?
Mine was scheduled for Sept 10 but got it on the 9th. DHL in the US and then Canada Post to my work.
Unolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
mrsmileypants
mrsmileypants began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I paid brokerage fees when I placed my order and I was charged again for full brokerage fees COD when UPS delivered my kindle and cover. I contacted customer service 2 weeks ago and they said they would investigate and have the carrier contact me. I have yet to hear anything, so I emailed customer service again today and am still awaiting a reply. Hopefully amazon will sort it out soon.
mrsmileypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlezzz View Post
Amazon said mine was coming today. Canada Post told me on the phone today it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Mine arrived on Mon Aug 30 via UPS. The lighted cover was actually sent one day ahead but I missed UPS on Fri Aug 27; so they arrived the same day on Monday.

I dislike Amazon's use of UPS; I wish we could choose UPS or Canada Post. If I miss UPS, it gets dropped off at the local post office; I can even pick it up on a Sat or Sun.

I ordered Aug 2nd and was expecting delivery Sep 4. So I was a very happy camper. Plus, hey! I love the Kindle 3!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmileypants View Post
I paid brokerage fees when I placed my order and I was charged again for full brokerage fees COD when UPS delivered my kindle and cover. I contacted customer service 2 weeks ago and they said they would investigate and have the carrier contact me. I have yet to hear anything, so I emailed customer service again today and am still awaiting a reply. Hopefully amazon will sort it out soon.
Damn straight Amazon should fix this. Any other Canadian that gets ripped off by UPS should also call and complain. Maybe in this small way we can get Amazon to drop UPS for Canadian shipping.