Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #46
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't think an in-store trial works well to test e-book reading, because of limited access, fluorescent lighting, uncomfortable position, lack of immersion and such. Each reading app adjusts differently as well; you need to be able to install and try 'em.

I've seen some online posters talk about their trials, and it's clear most of them had limited time and access, and don't know what they're talking about. I mean, you can test it fully and still hate it, but you're not making an informed choice unless you've had time and access.

I've messed with several iPad book apps and am fine with 'em all, but I don't have eye problems and such. I turn my backlighting low and use the Kindle app most frequently. I've read a book or two on a few other apps as well. On the Kindle app, I also use the sepia setting. (You can turn backlighting ridiculously low; so dark I'm not sure how you'd read.) At least one app has a night-reading setting as well (as opposed to just setting backlighting lower).

For me, the iPad is great reader for books, news and blogs. I reverted to my Kindle 2, which I used extensively for 15 months, while I was charging my iPad. I found that iPad's screen size, backlighting and touch screen had spoiled me. (And I hated the freakin' Mighty Bright, because of glare, uneven light coverage and ease of knocking it out of place once I managed to get a sweet spot.)

I'm not urging everyone to run out and get an iPad, because no device fits everyone. I'm really happy with mine for now. I don't have brand loyalty, so I'll switch if a significantly better tablet comes along.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #47
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Update after a few days' use:

I'm really glad I have a Kindle as my primary reader. Too much time with the iPad and my eyes start to hurt--just as they do with the laptop. With e-ink, it's not at all unusual for me to read for five hours straight and experience no eyestrain. (Yes, I've played with the iPad at all brightness levels and in a variety of lighting situations.)

But if you have other needs the iPad can fulfill, it's actually a fairly useful little tool, with the side bonus of being an e-reader. I've given up on touch typing, and most often end up using just one hand to type. It's a lot slower than using a real keyboard, but it works well enough for things like this post. And yes, I do read on it sometimes for short periods, though the weight is another negative for reading more than a little at a time.

I do think they're overpriced for what they are--they're not a true laptop replacement yet, they're very much a niche piece in my opinion. A version or two down the road though, I can see them or something much like them being one of those things most people decide they have to have.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #48
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Does anybody think there will ever be a Sony Reader app for the Ipad?
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
Does anybody think there will ever be a Sony Reader app for the Ipad?
Did Sony switch over to Adobe's ADEPT DRM? Txtr can read that format apparently, and their app is iPad compatible (not native though).

Just my opinion, but I think Amazon, Borders, and Barnes and Noble are at least as interested (if not more) in selling eBooks as selling devices-so they have an interest in developing iPhone/iPad readers-to drive more business to their eBook libraries.

Sony? I think they are in the hardware business...and their library is more to sell their hardware...so not sure if they will invest the time and energy to make an iPad reader. Could be wrong though
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote