Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
deltadon
deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: samsung Galaxy 2 7.0
How to sideload on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Hi,

I used to have a Nook Tablet. It crashed and died within the warranty period. I brought it back to BB today and they gave me store credit for $199 and I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 .70 as a replacement.

Of course it doesn't come with anything other than a "quick start" guide. There is a downloadable manual but I couldn't find an answer to my problem in it.

I've been trying for over an hour to sideload books from Adobe Digital Reader to Moon+ Reader with no success.

When I used to plug in my Nook to the laptop whiich has Adobe Digital Reader on it, Adobe Digital Reader recognized the Nook and it was a simple drag and drop process.

The laptop finds the Galaxy okay but Adobe Digital Reader does not.

Not sure if this matters, but the books stored on Adobe Digital Reader are epubs and they are from the public library.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited by deltadon; 12-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
deltadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadon View Post
Hi,

I used to have a Nook Tablet. It crashed and died within the warranty period. I brought it back to BB today and they gave me store credit for $199 and I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 .70 as a replacement.

Of course it doesn't come with anything other than a "quick start" guide. There is a downloadable manual but I couldn't find an answer to my problem in it.

I've been trying for over an hour to sideload books from Adobe Digital Reader to Moon+ Reader with no success.

When I used to plug in my Nook to the laptop whiich has Adobe Digital Reader on it, Adobe Digital Reader recognized the Nook and it was a simple drag and drop process.

The laptop finds the Galaxy okay but Adobe Digital Reader does not.

Not sure if this matters, but the books stored on Adobe Digital Reader are epubs and they are from the public library.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.
ADE doesn't play well with certain tablets...
A couple of work-arounds come to mind:
1-Why don't you just install, authorize and use the Overdrive app to load the books directly to your tablet using the wifi?
2-Or you could transfer the books from the "my digital editions" folder on your PC to the folder Moon Reader uses for ebooks, I don't use this app so I don't know if your can authorize it with your ADE account. If you can't, you won't be able to read your library books with it. I suspect you can authorize with ADE though, I just couldn't tell you how... You can read your DRM'd epubs on an app only if authorized to ADE.
3- I use Aldiko which allows you to authorize it with your ADE account and then download your book directly from the library Web site into the app using the wifi. I think Moon Reader works similarly, you'd get more info from the reading apps' sites than the tablet's for stuff like this.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
deltadon
deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deltadon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: samsung Galaxy 2 7.0
Overdrive is the key. I downloaded it and now I can get books directly from the library. don't have to download to adobe digital editions and then sideload like eith the old nook. It's great.
deltadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
deltadon, hope you don't me asking a SSTab2 question in here, and welcome to MBR!
I just bought a SSTab2 7.0 also. Set it up and as recommended by Chantal [my tech guru! ] downloaded Aldiko directly to it. I wanted to sideload my calibre library directly to the SSGT from my PC [and later perhaps music/video].
However the SSGT isn't showing up as a drive when I connect to my computer. I did get an inital error about a driver, but it never came up again. A quick google search said something about 'KIES' settings? Another quick search at SS site doesn't mention anything about where to update drivers, but did find where I could download 'KIES'. Would I download that to my computer or my Tab? [btw I have PC with Windows 7]. I swear I love technology but it hates me!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
deltadon, hope you don't me asking a SSTab2 question in here, and welcome to MBR!
I just bought a SSTab2 7.0 also. Set it up and as recommended by Chantal [my tech guru! ] downloaded Aldiko directly to it. I wanted to sideload my calibre library directly to the SSGT from my PC [and later perhaps music/video].
However the SSGT isn't showing up as a drive when I connect to my computer. I did get an inital error about a driver, but it never came up again. A quick google search said something about 'KIES' settings? Another quick search at SS site doesn't mention anything about where to update drivers, but did find where I could download 'KIES'. Would I download that to my computer or my Tab? [btw I have PC with Windows 7]. I swear I love technology but it hates me!
KIES is the software Samsung provides for your PC and some interactions between the tablet and the PC. For that to work you have to enable KIES on your tablet which in turn probably does not show up as a external drive.
I guess you have to switch from Kies to USB in the settings of the tablet.
This is how it works with my media player.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
KIES is the software Samsung provides for your PC and some interactions between the tablet and the PC. For that to work you have to enable KIES on your tablet which in turn probably does not show up as a external drive.
I guess you have to switch from Kies to USB in the settings of the tablet.
This is how it works with my media player.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. So I will download the KIES onto my PC, and then change settings on my tablet, and then try it? Makes sense. Not sure when I'll find the time, might have to wait [company coming and I'm avoiding the dreaded cleaning today]. Thank you again.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
You don't really need KIES for this. It's not even available for Linux, which I use, but I don't ever need it. Calibre can recognize it when it's connected via USB, but I don't even use that capability, although it's nice to use the "send to device" ability. Have you tried it?

I usually just do it wirelessly. You can run the Calibre server, and use the Android app called Calibre Companion to do transfers wirelessly. Or use a reader that can connect to the Calibre server, like Moon+ reader.
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Guy View Post
You don't really need KIES for this. It's not even available for Linux, which I use, but I don't ever need it. Calibre can recognize it when it's connected via USB, but I don't even use that capability, although it's nice to use the "send to device" ability. Have you tried it?

I usually just do it wirelessly. You can run the Calibre server, and use the Android app called Calibre Companion to do transfers wirelessly. Or use a reader that can connect to the Calibre server, like Moon+ reader.
Thank you Tech Guy for replying. I have synced wirelessly from Calibre to my T1 with success in the past, but I would like to connect PC to my SSGT, not sure why, but I just would prefer to sync it this way, at least for the first time. From the post above it sounds like I'd need the KIES software to do this? My computer just won't recognize the SSGT. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Blue2u
Wizard

In case anybody's tech-challenged like me, yes, that did work, [downloaded KIES software to my PC, then synced, then loaded driver] and I also selected 'usb debugging' under settings, system, development options.

Now I just wonder about calibre series data, and cases for the Tab, etc. Learn as I go I suppose
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Blue2u
Wizard

How can I setup Calibre to send series/sort data to SSGT? On SSGT I'm using Aldiko as reading app. In Calibre I have series sort templates/plugins for KoboTouch and SonyT1 but not sure what I alter to add the SSGT.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't figured that one out yet... However, you can "create" collections manually within Aldiko and then add your books to them by adding the books for the collection by tapping the little triangle to the extreme right of the collection name. When you tap "add books" you get a pop-up with all your book titles in alphabetical order and can check off the ones you want in the collection.
If I could figure out how to get my series info into the Calibre "tag" column that would allow the process to be "automated" since Aldiko does organize by tags as well as "Books", "Authors" and "Collections"... I just haven't cared enough to research it but you could get an answer from the Calibre forums. (Ask if possible to get series info into tags column, not how to add to Aldiko as they won't have the answer to the latter...I've already checked on that, they say it's an Aldiko issue, not Calibre's.)

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I haven't figured that one out yet... However, you can "create" collections manually within Aldiko and then add your books to them by adding the books for the collection by tapping the little triangle to the extreme right of the collection name. When you tap "add books" you get a pop-up with all your book titles in alphabetical order and can check off the ones you want in the collection.
If I could figure out how to get my series info into the Calibre "tag" column that would allow the process to be "automated" since Aldiko does organize by tags as well as "Books", "Authors" and "Collections"... I just haven't cared enough to research it but you could get an answer from the Calibre forums. (Ask if possible to get series info into tags column, not how to add to Aldiko as they won't have the answer to the latter...I've already checked on that, they say it's an Aldiko issue, not Calibre's.)
As always, so helpful Chantal, thank you. I think I'll just try doing it wirelessly as you've suggested since it does sound like it sorts series that way. Would I need the paid version of Aldiko for that? I've got the instructions you gave bookmarked [here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=2] and if I get some time might try that today, if not soonish. I'm sure I can do it since you walked me through similar process on the T1. [Hope you had a nice holiday season and early Happy New Year to you!]
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard

The free Aldiko is fine. It has some ads. You don't need to buy the premium version unless they annoy you or until you're sure you like Aldiko.