Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lord Peter Wimsey is, I think, my very favourite series of detective books. He seems like a real person to me; his character develops from book to book, and he's a person you CARE about. I've not yet read the Jill Patton Walsh Wimsey books. I know that the first two were based largely on Sayers's work; the most recent is entirely her own work.

I'm working my way through Ngaio Marsh's books at the moment - I've read the first five so far. Thus far I've not been terribly impressed; the stories seem a little superficial compared to Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I'll stick with them - perhaps they get better as they go on?

Other favourites of mine are Elizabeth Peters's "Amelia Peabody" stories, mostly set in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century, and Lindsay Davis's "Falco" books, set in 1st century Rome.
i read just one book of ngaio marsh and that was so good (enter a murderer) and i will read the other books of marsh
but i have a lot of books to read
which one will i choose, i don't know
but this is a good misery
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #17
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do you think that the Falco books by Lindsey Davis belongs in this thread? They are historical mysteries set in Rome in the late 0060's. I love the research that Davis does. As you read her books, you can feel yourself walking though Rome or Alexandria, or Londinium, or Petra.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #18
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Do you think that the Falco books by Lindsey Davis belongs in this thread? They are historical mysteries set in Rome in the late 0060's. I love the research that Davis does. As you read her books, you can feel yourself walking though Rome or Alexandria, or Londinium, or Petra.
you can write here what do you think about all types of mysteries
i will write the authors, characters and the books i like it
Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #19
coderserdar
Groupie

chapter 3

erle stanley gardner

he is maybe creator of the funniest character in mystery literaty in world, perry mason
perry mason is a lawyer, he generally takes difficult jobs and perople to defend and prove their innocence, and finally in court, with asking some questions to witnesses he find the real criminal.
his secretary is della street, a good, loyal and some kind of beatiful lady
his best friend and companion is paul drake, owner of the drake detective agency, and their bureaus are neighbor, policeman know that drake is generally doing the jobs which mason give him, so they always threat him to take his detective license
and hamilton burger, the prosecutor, he hates mason and in court he wants to beat mason, but always he loses
lieutenant tragg, he is a police chief but opposite to general belief, he likes mason, and sometimes he helps to mason

so funny characters, fluent books, and happy hours to the mystery and crime lovers.

the books i can advise you are

the case of moth-eaten mink
the case of the vagabond virgin
the case of the long-legged model
the case of the cautious coquette
the case of the lazy lover

happy reading to all of you

Last edited by coderserdar; 11-18-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: style changes :)
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, Perry Mason books are not available as eBooks. I agree with you that they are fabulous, but we're really supposed to talk about eBooks here .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, Perry Mason books are not available as eBooks. I agree with you that they are fabulous, but we're really supposed to talk about eBooks here .
yes you are right..
i just want to tell my opinion about the perry mason
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Some Perry Mason Books have been released as ebooks. Amazon carries 9 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...rnid=618072011
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Some Perry Mason Books have been released as ebooks. Amazon carries 9 right now...

Apache
Thanks, Apache! I did not realize that there were Perry Mason books available. I love Perry Mason. The titles of his books always gave me a chuckle!! I'll have to check out some of those.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
harry bosch is a strange char in mystery literaty
he finds the murderer like poirot case, so we can say that harry is a golden age mystery char, but his behaviours are so intense and hard, because of this, we can say that connelly's books look like hard boiled style.
but in finally, connelly is a talented writer and his books are so good
I have read all of Michael Connelly's books. If you like him you will also probably like Stephen J Cannell's Shane Scully. Scully is a married Harry Bosch. Another very good author is Steve Hamilton. His Alex McKnight character is an ex Detroit cop who moves to Paradise, MI in the U.P. and tries in vain to not do any investigating.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #25
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm reading some Agatha Christie right now.

I'm about halfway through "The Mysterious Affair At Styles" which so far is fairly slow, but I'm also reading "The Adventures Of The Christmas pudding". I like the way she can pull everything together at the end and totally surprise you.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #26
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
we can talk about the books and the authors in this topic.
we can discuss about the books, authors, genres of mystery and crime novels (like hard-boiled, true crime, locked room etc..)

i can start the discussion with this question?
what is your favourite author/authors in golden age and today?
There is an English lady, Lindsey Davis who writes mysteries about an informer (detective) in ancient Rome who solves crimes. Marcus Didius Falco is his name, and if you read her novels, you will discover a rich knowledge of the ancient world because she researches her novels so well. The reader learns a lot about the Roman Empire, including Britain, France (Gaul), Italy, Greece, North Africa and the Middle East. The writing is often humorous, but it can suddenly change to become very serious.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #27
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
There is an English lady, Lindsey Davis who writes mysteries about an informer (detective) in ancient Rome who solves crimes. Marcus Didius Falco is his name, and if you read her novels, you will discover a rich knowledge of the ancient world because she researches her novels so well. The reader learns a lot about the Roman Empire, including Britain, France (Gaul), Italy, Greece, North Africa and the Middle East. The writing is often humorous, but it can suddenly change to become very serious.
i will take care your advice and read her books
but i started to read wilkie collins and i want to read some books of it
thanks a lot
Old 12-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #28
coderserdar
Groupie

chapter 4

jack higgins

the author was an old soldier
before writing mystery and crime books (his genre can be mysterious adventure ), he is teaching a little
and after that he started to write books, and his books sold about 250 millions and a lot of books are made movies
while reading higgins' books, you feel like you are in Ireland
he gives you the imagination of the belfast streets, IRA etc..

and he likes to write stories about the second world war,
especiallly wilhelm canaris and some of the german tricks and adventures
these books are so good

he write about 70 books and some of this books are series of some characters like

sean dillon : grey eyes, big acting talent, 5 feet height, old IRA terrorist (the best, legend), new member of Group Four and headmater of Group Four, Charles Ferguson
there are 18 books in sean dillon series

liam devlin : the legend of the IRA, sometimes work with sean dillon
there are 4 books in liam devlin series

paul chavasse : the english agent, expert in martial arts, an emotional man
there are 7 books in paul chavasse series

and the important characters in his books are

charles ferguson : the Brigadier,headmaster of Group Four which is the antiterrorism unit in UK, and just responsible to Prime Minister, he likes Guiness beer, and likes Sean Dillon

hannah bernstein : chief inspector in Scotland Yard, assistant of Ferguson, a Jewish girl. At first she hates from Dillon, but she likes after some events, i think she is one of the sexiest characters in mystery literaty

kim : a gurka (Afghan) which is the servant of Ferguson, a good tracer, so loyal guy....

martin brosnan : some of the talented IRA terrorist, a big friend of Liam Devlin

frank barry : an IRA terrorist, the bad boy of the books

michael ahern : some kind of national terrorists in Ireland, his motto is "my left hand does not know, what my right hand do"

bla bla bla

i can advise some of books

the whole sean dillon series
a season in hell (in my opinion the best book of higgins)
the eagle has landed (liam devlin series)
touch the devil (liam devlin series)
year of the tiger (paul chavasse series)
luciano's luck
the wrath of god

etc...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #29
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
i have just finished the first two Railway Detective books featuring Robert Colbeck by Edward Marston and found to be very enjoyable.

not to deep and can be finished in a day give them a try.

cheers,mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #30
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I'd suggest, for the "Golden Age", the great Thorndyke, available from MR library, and for modern, yes, Harry Bosche is marvellous.
But not up there with the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke... actually, anything by JLB..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote