Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #241
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Good luck with the surgery, BelleZora! I had that done on both eyes. Just make sure you follow the instructions and take it easy for a while. If the surgery is successful, the change will be amazing.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #242
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best of luck on the surgery BellaZora.

One quarter in and I'm over halfway on my year in the life challenge. Woohoo! Only nineteen more years to go.

Some useless statistics.

Years Completed: 25/44
Books Read: 26
Pages Read: 7,672
Distinct Authors: 26
New Authors: 17
Paper Books: 23
E-Books: 3
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #243
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
That's all fine and nice dazrin but where do you get the information from. I find very little page counts with the electronic books I tend to buy.
I don't remember where I posted this last, but this is how I find page numbers:
  • Amazon and other retailers typically list them if they have a paper version of the book. Again, if there is a MMPB version I use it. I rarely need to use other retailers.
  • Goodreads has many page counts for different versions of books. I just look for the MMPB versions or another PB version if none is listed as a MMPB.
  • Amazon sometimes lists “approximate page counts” even if there is no paper version of a book.
  • If you use Calibre there is a page count plugin that will provide an approximate page count. I rarely use this one since I don't normally use Calibre. Generally only for books from sources other than Amazon since I don't ever bring Amazon books into Calibre.

When I can't find any page count in the locations above I have kept records of the average number of pages/location in Kindle books and use this to back-calculate an approximate page count. Right now my average is 15.84 locations/page since January 2011 and 160ish books.

I have been accused of being too detailed in this. They were probably right.

I also have considered using a "locations" goal since that is a number that I can easily find and is well defined (128 bits). That would cover anything I put on my Kindle, but doesn't intuitively tell me how long a book is, so I prefer pages.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #244
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Twenty five books down, if I keep going like this I might make one hundred books this year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #245
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I might be in that area too, but I usually have a lull coming up pretty soon.

Twenty-seven books down and twenty-six of forty-four years complete. Only eighteen more years to go which is nice.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #246
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I am, hopefully, recovering from a week-and-a-half long lull, with Neil Gaiman's American Gods. This will be my 20th book of the year Seeing as 8 of those 20 were short story/novella size, at almost 600 pgs long, this should make up for any pages read deficit.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #247
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am, hopefully, recovering from a week-and-a-half long lull, with Neil Gaiman's American Gods. This will be my 20th book of the year Seeing as 8 of those 20 were short story/novella size, at almost 600 pgs long, this should make up for any pages read deficit.
If you like really good character development you will love this book. The book is extremely
readable, full of anticipatory moments. So you wont even think of it as a long book.
I had it in my annual challenge as well. Hope you like it
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #248
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Question how do I put a link to My 2013 reads thus far in my signature??? sorry for the dumb question..... would like to link it and have seen some with this link....but not sure how quite to go about it.......???
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #249
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Question how do I put a link to My 2013 reads thus far in my signature??? sorry for the dumb question..... would like to link it and have seen some with this link....but not sure how quite to go about it.......???
The link is this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2357980&postcount=21

and you need to add it to your signature like this

Books read in 2013
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #250
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
If you like really good character development you will love this book. The book is extremely
readable, full of anticipatory moments. So you wont even think of it as a long book.
I had it in my annual challenge as well. Hope you like it
Thank you.

Yes, so far so good. At ~80 pgs in, Mr. Gaiman has me curious about quite a few things.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #251
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't typically care that much for short stories and novellas and such I do not feel that an author can do justice to a tale in that small a number of pages. An author needs to take his/her time to develop the story line and the characters. Personal opinion only.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #252
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Don't typically care that much for short stories and novellas and such I do not feel that an author can do justice to a tale in that small a number of pages. An author needs to take his/her time to develop the story line and the characters. Personal opinion only.
Depends on the story. Arthur C. Clarke was an absolute master of the ultra-short story, with a couple of his most memorable being only one or two pages.

Don't get me wrong; I like big books, too - Stephen King's It is one of my favorites, and clocks in at 1138 pages as originally printed. But that's a five-course banquet, and sometimes all you want is a gumdrop...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #253
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
cheers will try when I am not half a sleep.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The link is this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21

and you need to add it to your signature like this

Books read in 2013
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #254
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Depends on the story. Arthur C. Clarke was an absolute master of the ultra-short story, with a couple of his most memorable being only one or two pages.

Don't get me wrong; I like big books, too - Stephen King's It is one of my favorites, and clocks in at 1138 pages as originally printed. But that's a five-course banquet, and sometimes all you want is a gumdrop...
I do not usually read short stories either, however, the 8 "books" mentioned are part of an erotica/mystery series (Fantasy Heights), and I found that the short story format went well with the nature and pacing of the over all story. It added to the suspencful mood surounding the mystery and allowed natural breaks from the erotica.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #255
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I've read more than a few books that should have been a little shorter.