Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

PSR-505 has the fastest refresh rate?

When I though I had it all figured, and that vizplex was pretty much the same stuff for every manufacturer when I see this in the Matrix (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix):

Quote:
"0.8s (0.5s in 2 gray scales mode)"
So, everybody else is 0.4 seconds slower for plain B/W text? I must be wrong. Please elucidate me.
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I just read across the listing of the times and many of them are .9 compared to .8 for the 505. Notice that there is no time listed for the 700, which almost everybody has remarked on as being much faster than the 505 (it is very noticeably faster than my 500).

I just realized that you're taking the .5 for the 505 for 2-shade gray files as being the main time. I'm not sure that's accurate. And it also may not have been measured the same way on the other devices which can also display graphics. I wouldn't treat that chart as a totally scientific measurement of speed.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

That's exactly it. PRS-505 is 0.5 and all others are 0.9 for simple text (no graphics). I don't believe anyone here reads at 75% black when you can get full contrast in your text (8 grays versus 2 grays).

So basically, if someone didn't put the numbers wrong on the wiki, there is an 80% increase in time when NOT using a PRS-505 (in 2 grays mode).
That's an extraordinarily large difference in features when comparing which device to buy*. One that is left unmentioned everywhere else.

*You see, I'm buying something after the eslick or kindle2 comes out. I'm just waiting for some price drops, but if they don't occur until I finish all my paper Asimov novels, I'll buy one anyway. (don't reply to this paragraph, on penalty of serious off-topic-ing)
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But the device doesn't operate in "two greyscale" mode, so it's irrelevent what the controller can or cannot do in that mode.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
gmvasco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the device doesn't operate in "two greyscale" mode, so it's irrelevent what the controller can or cannot do in that mode.
Thank you! That was the exact kind of answer I was looking for. I knew something had to be wrong. So, the screen could theoretically do it, but the controller/firmware/whatever does not support it.
Well then, I propose a change to the wiki, to reflect that. Especially because other devices have the same vizplex technology powering them.
Advert