Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Odyssey VS PRS-T2 : dictionaries

Hello,

I'm looking for a new ereader because I want to have dictionaries. I'm a french speaker reading science fiction and fantasy only in english.

I don't want any "closed" reader (kindle for example). After reading reviews I think I could get the bookeen odyssey or sony PRS-T2.
I would prefer getting the odyssey simply because of the button on the right for next page.

But I also need a good dictionary. To translate and also getting definitions. Seems the sony has better (ie well known) dictionaries.

What is your experience about this?
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
krapo
Enthusiast
krapo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 Black, Sony PRS-T1 White, CyBook Gen3
Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you and that's why I initially switched from paper to ereader. First I bought a cybook gen3 over the prs-650 because I could install custom dictionaries (not the kind which only knows what you already know).
But it turned out that the UI was not good enough (no touch screen, and bad ability to detect plurals and so forth).

So I eventually tried the PRS-T1 with its touch screen and embedded dictionaries and I'm really happy about it, both by the dictionary content and accessibility.

NB: I don't use the English to French dictionary but the plain old English one which has much more details. I guess you would do the same if you're used to read in English ?

Hope this helps,
Vincent.
krapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma6666 View Post
I don't want any "closed" reader (kindle for example).
Where do people get this strange idea from that the Kindle is somehow "closed"? It's no more "closed" than any other reading device. You can seamlessly convert any ePub book to the Kindle's "KF8" format using Calibre, and read it on the Kindle. The Kindle has (probably) the best dictionary support around. Not only does it come with excellent dictionaries, but you can buy an install hundreds of additional commercial dictionaries from the Kindle Store.

The Sony also has excellent dictionaries, but you can't install additional ones.

The Odyssey's dictionary support (other than French) appears to be extremey poor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where do people get this strange idea from that the Kindle is somehow "closed"? It's no more "closed" than any other reading device. You can seamlessly convert any ePub book to the Kindle's "KF8" format using Calibre, and read it on the Kindle. The Kindle has (probably) the best dictionary support around. Not only does it come with excellent dictionaries, but you can buy an install hundreds of additional commercial dictionaries from the Kindle Store.

The Sony also has excellent dictionaries, but you can't install additional ones.

The Odyssey's dictionary support (other than French) appears to be extremey poor.
I now know that HarryT, you convinced me in the other thread

I had too much preconceived ideas on the kindle.
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry - didn't spot that you were the author of the thread we've already corresponded on .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Touch / Glo has an English-French dictionary as well though I don't know how good it is.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote