Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
PDF Conversion (WOW)

I just did a test taking a complex document and generating PDF files from it. The first copy was saved as a conventional PDF. The 2nd copy was saved as a BITMAP PDF (300 DPI). I sent them both into Amazon for conversion (@free.kindle.com).

The first one converted well enough, though the pictures were missing, it was fully readable and reformatted to the Kindle. So while I lost the document 'structure' and images, it was a pretty good readable PDF conversion.

The second bitmap copy converted into sideways 1/2 pages (sideways, cool) so that it could show the complete width of the page. It was resized, small, but FULLY readable. As a Sony Reader owner too I can tell you that this is one of the BEST Bitmap PDF -> eInk conversions I have ever seen. The quality is very good. It really is quite impressive.

From now on I think I'll convert most my PDF documents at bitmap PDF documents.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Since you have a PRS, out of curiosity, have you tried saving a pdf as text and then convert the output txt with book designer?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
How does the conversion compare to that done by the Windows MobiPocket Reader? I assume the Kindle conversion software started from MobiPocket's code base, but has the advantage of running on a server (and of targeting a single screen size) and so it may have added capability.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Since you have a PRS, out of curiosity, have you tried saving a pdf as text and then convert the output txt with book designer?
That's more work that I ever want to do...
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
That's more work that I ever want to do...
Not that much, I just tried it. The hardest is learning how to use Book Designer. I just did a transformation from pdf to txt to Book Designer to a conversion in lrf. The whole thing took less than 5 mins. and is converted to settings easy on my senses.

5 minutes is not long for a ten hour read. One book at a time.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 11-27-2007 at 02:30 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does it convert the table of contents as well?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote