Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #196
fool_on_the_hill
fool_on_the_hill began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Mine arrived this morning. Very good service from ereader store and DHL Express.

Unfortunately I had it delivered to family I'm staying with for Christmas, and I won't arrive myself until tomorrow! Will try to post a quick review in the evening.
fool_on_the_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #197
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Q@Booxtor, I am just curious, how much is the shipping to Canada? Have you shipped any M92 to this destination?

thanks
PF
Hi,

Shipping to Canada is quite expensive (EUR 38). But you don't to pay our taxes so your retail price would be EUR 303 instead EUR 349.

We have a lot of customers from Canada and US (and even from Australia)
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #198
yosuu
yosuu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Hi everyone,

I have placed today an order for this ereader in ereader-store after reading all the good comments about it.

May i ask the people who were testing it if they had problems with the "freezing" or "crashing" in this device? I am quite afraid about this issue after reading the threads of m90 and m91...

kind regards, and happy christmas

y
yosuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #199
headbam
headbam began at the beginning.

Hi Guys,

well just a very short review here:
I have the device since friday and played around a little bit with it. I just tried out PDF-files and things work quite nice. JBAACH and Booxtor explained and showed almost everything which was necessary to know i guess. I didnt experience any crashing or freezing while reading pdfs. However the Device froze once when i tried to use it as a mass storage on a samsung galaxy s2 (well probably not a very common usage ). So i guess freezing wasnt really a problem yet.

However i discovered something else. I had problems with german Umlaute in one pdf (see the link on page 6 for example) which were missing. The same problem occurs when i try to open that pdf on my Galaxy S in acrobat reader but it works with other pdf readers on my mobile. I dont know if thats an adobe problem (i am using foxit reader (and it works there) on my computer so i cant verify this file on adobe/PC now). I am not at all into pdf stuff but i guess it must be something about missing embedded fonts. Does anybody have a good hint on how to circumvent this problem?
http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ont-matter.pdf

Despite of that i am very happy with the device until now!
headbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #200
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by maindoor View Post
Those who got the product do post the review guys. How is the build quality ? how is the overall experience of the device etc.
i have not received it yet ..
the last update of tracking :
Fri, 23.12.11 20:07 h
--
The shipment has arrived at the import parcel center(UK)
--
SO I am hoping to get it tomorrow !
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #201
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

Shipping to Canada is quite expensive (EUR 38). But you don't to pay our taxes so your retail price would be EUR 303 instead EUR 349.

We have a lot of customers from Canada and US (and even from Australia)
I am afraid I might need to pay the taxes here :-(
The shipping you quoted is for regular service right/ Is that DHL? Do they deliver here in Canada or they are connected with an other carrier here/

To the Canadians who have received an ereader for Europe: did you pay taxes/ Was your carrier DHL?

thanks
PF

PS the total comes to 464CAD (1.33 CAD/EUR)
If I have to pay taxes here in Canada that goes above 500$ in total which is over my budget or what I consider the device is worth...

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 12-23-2011 at 11:37 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #202
yosuu
yosuu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbam View Post
Hi Guys,

I dont know if thats an adobe problem (i am using foxit reader (and it works there) on my computer so i cant verify this file on adobe/PC now).

Hi,

I have checked it in the computer, the umlauts are shown correctly with adobe reader.
yosuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #203
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Merry Xmas to all!
Thanks to Booxtor I received my M92 (and PB912 ) yesterday. I'll write down my impressions later, but - as far as I played with the devices - I can say, that I'll keep M92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbam View Post
Hi Guys,

well just a very short review here:
I have the device since friday and played around a little bit with it. I just tried out PDF-files and things work quite nice. JBAACH and Booxtor explained and showed almost everything which was necessary to know i guess. I didnt experience any crashing or freezing while reading pdfs. However the Device froze once when i tried to use it as a mass storage on a samsung galaxy s2 (well probably not a very common usage ). So i guess freezing wasnt really a problem yet.

However i discovered something else. I had problems with german Umlaute in one pdf (see the link on page 6 for example) which were missing. The same problem occurs when i try to open that pdf on my Galaxy S in acrobat reader but it works with other pdf readers on my mobile. I dont know if thats an adobe problem (i am using foxit reader (and it works there) on my computer so i cant verify this file on adobe/PC now). I am not at all into pdf stuff but i guess it must be something about missing embedded fonts. Does anybody have a good hint on how to circumvent this problem?
http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ont-matter.pdf

I can see umlauts in the PDF (e.g. in the foreword), but not in the bold captions in the TOC.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #204
fool_on_the_hill
fool_on_the_hill began at the beginning.

A quick review from my initial impressions, which are very positive...

The build quality seems very high. From some of the photos online I was worried the device might be a bit plasticky, or like the glossy-white Apple iThings that smudge really badly. In the flesh, the feel and finish are excellent and the bezel isn't as shiny white as it looks in the pictures (it actually blends nicely with the slightly greyer e-ink screen). It's also very thin and lightweight, and comes with a perfectly functional case (at least as good as the Kindle cases for which Amazon charge £30 or more). If you prefer your ebook reader to be nude, then you'll find that the back of the device has a nice, slightly grippy, feel to it.

The only other reader I've used is a standard Kindle (edit: Kindle keyboard, 3rd generation), and the Boox M92 compares favourably. The screen seems at least as good, and the page turns are about the same speed (the screen can also be configured to refresh less often, presumably for faster page turns). Note that I haven't actually compared these devices side-by-side, as I don't have access to the Kindle right now.

I played around with some really huge PDFs (including an 1100 page technical book) with no freezes/crashes or other problems. The zoom options have a 'crop margins' setting which works great.

I had thought the OS might be a weak spot, but it seems pretty polished and is, for the most part, fairly intuitive. The stylus feels quite natural (much better than my old capacitive screen smartphone) and works well. The 'scribble' app is fun and works quite well, but seems a bit pointless. The on-screen keyboard is about as good as such things can be, and is perfectly usable. There's also a handwriting recognition option, which I didn't find usable (however I have terrible handwriting), and works in such a way that I can't see how it could possibly be faster than using the keyboard (even if it was 100% accurate).

For ePubs, the default viewer was a bit rubbish, displaying everything in two columns (with apparently no other layout options) and making a number of really glaring layout mistakes. However, the 'Preferred Applications' menu in the device settings allows you to choose another viewer for ePubs, and the two alternatives both worked fine. Of the two, FBReader (which is the default for other file types) seemed marginally better than Cool Reader, but I didn't spend long experimenting with both of them. The default viewer for ePubs was actually one named 'PDF Reader', which seems an odd choice for ePubs (something to do with the Adobe licensing, perhaps?).

I only have a couple of gripes so far, both of which can hopefully be resolved by a firmware update in future:
* The device can only connect to WiFi networks that are broadcasting their SSID (it's possible to configure a non-visible network, but the subsequent connection attempt fails); this seems to be a common issue with similar devices and it's not a major problem
* The browser doesn't seem to be able to connect to certain sites. As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be with any site that uses HTTPS (this is a shame as I thought the clean interface of workflowy.com might work well on this device, and obviously any online eBook store will use HTTPS at some point).

Last edited by fool_on_the_hill; 12-25-2011 at 03:27 PM.
fool_on_the_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #205
a.a.k
Enthusiast

well, as I thought, i have not received my M92!.
i have been waiting DHL all day as the online tracking states its out for delivery.
however, when I contacted the DHL, it turned out that are not the one who handle it. they only brought it from an agent in Germany, and hand it to the Royal mail (UK)! (official mail) , which means you should not expect the high quality of DHL, (should be made clear for future customer in the UK)
now, I need to wait for delivery until Wednesday 28th December

I am really disappointed
Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #206
a.a.k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool_on_the_hill View Post
A quick review from my initial impressions, which are very positive...

The build quality seems very high. From some of the photos online I was worried the device might be a bit plasticky, or like the glossy-white Apple iThings that smudge really badly. In the flesh, the feel and finish are excellent and the bezel isn't as shiny white as it looks in the pictures (it actually blends nicely with the slightly greyer e-ink screen). It's also very thin and lightweight, and comes with a perfectly functional case (at least as good as the Kindle cases for which Amazon charge £30 or more). If you prefer your ebook reader to be nude, then you'll find that the back of the device has a nice, slightly grippy, feel to it.

The only other reader I've used is a standard Kindle (keyboard version, 2nd generation I think), and the Boox M92 compares favourably. The screen seems at least as good, and the page turns are about the same speed (the screen can also be configured to refresh less often, presumably for faster page turns). Note that I haven't actually compared these devices side-by-side, as I don't have access to the Kindle right now.

I played around with some really huge PDFs (including an 1100 page technical book) with no freezes/crashes or other problems. The zoom options have a 'crop margins' setting which works great.

I had thought the OS might be a weak spot, but it seems pretty polished and is, for the most part, fairly intuitive. The stylus feels quite natural (much better than my old capacitive screen smartphone) and works well. The 'scribble' app is fun and works quite well, but seems a bit pointless. The on-screen keyboard is about as good as such things can be, and is perfectly usable. There's also a handwriting recognition option, which I didn't find usable (however I have terrible handwriting), and works in such a way that I can't see how it could possibly be faster than using the keyboard (even if it was 100% accurate).

For ePubs, the default viewer was a bit rubbish, displaying everything in two columns (with apparently no other layout options) and making a number of really glaring layout mistakes. However, the 'Preferred Applications' menu in the device settings allows you to choose another viewer for ePubs, and the two alternatives both worked fine. Of the two, FBReader (which is the default for other file types) seemed marginally better than Cool Reader, but I didn't spend long experimenting with both of them. The default viewer for ePubs was actually one named 'PDF Reader', which seems an odd choice for ePubs (something to do with the Adobe licensing, perhaps?).

I only have a couple of gripes so far, both of which can hopefully be resolved by a firmware update in future:
* The device can only connect to WiFi networks that are broadcasting their SSID (it's possible to configure a non-visible network, but the subsequent connection attempt fails); this seems to be a common issue with similar devices and it's not a major problem
* The browser doesn't seem to be able to connect to certain sites. As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be with any site that uses HTTPS (this is a shame as I thought the clean interface of workflowy.com might work well on this device, and obviously any online eBook store will use HTTPS at some point).
LUCKY you .. I am at Coventry , I have not received it yet

was it delivered by royalmail or parcelforce?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #207
log-in
log-in began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi

what about an english to german dictionary and text to speech for german books?

I read that the m92 doesnt have this. will this be included later or are the chances that this happens low?

thx.
log-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #208
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by log-in View Post
Hi

what about an english to german dictionary and text to speech for german books?

I read that the m92 doesnt have this. will this be included later or are the chances that this happens low?

thx.
Hi,
You can install a lot of free STARDICT dictionaries. Just google a litle bit
There are tons of them.
About T2S - in the next future no chance for German version
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #209
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Mine was shipped on 23 December. Too late… I'm already on vacation.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #210
duskwalker
duskwalker began at the beginning.

Install Dictionaries on M92

Hi Guys,

does anybody know how to install StarDict - Dictionaries on the device.
Please help.
I found the inforamation, that there should exist an folder "Dicts" on the device and there you should place the dictionaries. I did(it was an stardict-dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-deu-2.4.2.tar.bz2 file), but nothing happened.
duskwalker is offline   Reply With Quote