Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Great job Worldwalker.
Thanks. It's what I do. Well, that's the "lite" version, anyway.

P.S. Another comment: I took a moment to run the whois on this, and I noticed it's a secret registration. Bad idea; people look at that and say "what does he have to hide?"

Last edited by Worldwalker; 06-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Thanks. It's what I do. Well, that's the "lite" version, anyway.
Nice and polite I think. Generous too. You didn't charge him.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt if he's pulling in enough money off that to pay me for a site review, let alone an overhaul.

That site seriously needs two things: a proofreader, and a purpose.

(also, not breaking the W3C CSS validator woud be nice!)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #19
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Sure does need work. Takes a long time to load, and then asks for a log in. Looks pretty, but on the surface doesn't appear interesting enough to look too much further. So I didn't. As worldwalker says. "all hat and no cattle" or perhaps "all icing and no cake"

Whoops US citizens read... "All frosting and no cake!"

Last edited by SneakySnake; 06-02-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: for the american audience.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #20
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I had a look at the comparison list, and couldn't understand why he said the kindle didn't have wireless.. then I saw the lists weren't lined up.. How hard can that be

The video was weird, and obviously not including the iPad, which was also promoted on the site...

... and so I agree with what everyone else have said...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I live in Launceston, Tasmania, (which has quite slow broadband) and have a five year old computer. It took so long for the garish splash page to load that I didn't bother to go any further.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #22
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palen View Post
Any specific things you think I should change ?
Thanks.
Matt
Add more content. There is a lot more readers available than the ones you have listed, and they all deserve more than the 1 paragraph you have given them.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #23
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all
Wow.
Thanks a lot - all of you, really.
I had no idea my site was that messed up

Anyway, I will take everything into account - I promise. I do however have to address 3 issues that you've stated:
1. I am planning to get up more eBook readers up there - and yes, I've started off with the ones that helped me sustain the site.
2. The winner of the Kindle DX contest was "Kindle boy" - here is his winning video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIULRPjRx_s
3. I never give out my collected email addresses to spammers. I only use them to stay in touch with my subscribers.

Other than that - everything you've said was pretty straightforward and definitely to the point - I'll get on it ASAP.

WorldWalker - Can I hire you ?
Matt Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

It's not whether you give out your email addresses to spammers -- it's whether you create the impression that there's a risk you might do so. One of the ways a site can create that impression is trying too hard to get those addresses. This leads the user to ask "why does he want my email address so badly?" and the first answer that comes to mind is generally "because he thinks he can make money off of it" -- especially on a slick, commercial-looking site like yours. How can someone make money off a list of email addresses? Spamming it himself, or selling the list to spammers. It doesn't matter that you don't do it, any more than it matters that you're not planning to rob a bank if you walk in with a ski mask over your face. It's what it looks like you're going to do -- looks to people who have been made sensitive, even paranoid, by the actions of others -- that counts.

Image matters. Why is your website not just stark black text on white pages, with nary a picture in sight? Or perhaps some "Geocities 1995" style, complete with animated GIFs and <blink>? Image. Appearances. The same content could be presented either way, but every website owner is intuitively aware that image matters. The problem is they stop short of understanding that all aspects of their online image matter, not just the slickness of their website. They build glitzy websites to convince their prospective customers to do business with them, but then act in ways that make them look like weasels.

Ecommerce sites that make you jump through hoops (or start the buying process) just to find out how much their stuff costs are one example. Their idea is "once the customer it in his cart, he'll feel committed to buying it." My idea is "Why would I want to do business with a weasel? Their competitors are as close as my Back button and the next hit in my search results" The probable outcome of these competing ideas is left as an exercise for the student.

Another, a real biggie, is the ones that are dead-set on forcing you to sign up for their marketing emails. You know the ones: they make you check a box saying "don't send me your valuable newsletter with exclusive special offers", and sometimes one saying "don't allow your trusted partners to send me information on special deals just for me", or in some cases it's un-check the alternative. The really weaselly ones reset the checked state of that box to "spam me!" if for some reason there's an error in the form -- you leave out a field, for instance. They don't reset the entire form (they've learned that people just give up if they have to type all that stuff in again) but they reset that email-harvesting checkbox, to get a second try at tricking their customers into signing up to be spammed by them and "trusted partners" (those being, apparently, anyone they can trust to actually pay for the mailing list). It's not the fact of the marketing emails themselves -- I just finished reading about a half-dozen of them that I signed up for, ranging from Borders (Stephanie Meyer, ick ick ick) to a local comics shop (20% off on graphic novels today, need to stop by when I'm out doing errands). It's the fact that the website owners are trying to trick users into signing up, or require them to take actions, often several actions, to not be signed up by default, that builds the mistrust. It's not just "if their newsletter is something I'd really want to get, why do they think they have to trick me into signing up for it?" but the whole impression you get from someone who thinks weaseling you into giving them something you don't want to is a good way to do business.

That's what's in play with this site. You go there, and a big giant "give us your email address! Now!! NOW!!!" thing takes over your screen. You just want to find out if a Sony PRS-600 or a JetBook would be better, and here's something that wants you to hand over your email address to a website you haven't even seen yet. Sure, you can make it go away; but more often, you'll go away. It makes a bad first impression. Instead of "they want to give me something" it says "they want me to give them something" -- private, and potentially marketable, information, in this case. That's not the way to build trust and credibility for a website.

It's not just true for sites like this one, either. Not long ago, I wanted to notify a major company's webmaster about a broken link on their site. The contact form required my full name, email address, physical address, phone number (home and work), age, sex, and several other things. Their link is still broken, because I was not going to hand over any, let alone all, of that personal information as the price of doing them a favor. I'm sure Marketing demanded that any customer contact capture all possible data about that person. The price of Marketing's demands? An unfixed website problem, and a customer who has a poorer opinion in the company, undoing some undoubtedly expensive advertising meant to get me to think highly of them. The marketroids, in other words, shot themselves in the foot.

An ebook reader review site not something that requires return visits. Unlike, say, Tom's Hardware Guide, which covers many different topics, it's something you generally use once, or within a short time period, rather than on a repeating basis. Why would I want emails from an ebook reader review website? If I've read their reviews, and selected an ebook reader, I have no reason to go back there. So the user sees little or no value in getting mailings from the site (and may not even be able to envision a legitimate reason for any such email).

As a counter-example, I got a mailing from Spring Hill Nursery last night. They sell garden plants. When I bought some plants from them, I signed up (well, actually, didn't un-click) because they have insane sale prices, and as any gardener can tell you, garden catalogs are crack; there's always room for one more plant. Sure enough, last night's e-flyer told me about an end-of-the season perennial grab bag deal, $20 for $100 worth of random plants. So I ordered it -- it sounds like fun! (note: if you're in need of plants, go there by clicking on their paid Google ad and they give you $25 off your first $50 order) Garden plants are something that you generally buy repeatedly, so I'll have reasons to do business with Spring Hill in the future. Therefore, the mailing list makes sense, both from my point of view (my name is Worldwalker and I'm a plantaholic) and theirs. I get deals; they get a customer. But what's the value proposition here? What does a person who's read the reviews and bought an ebook reader need from a review site in the future? Will whatever it is you want to send to their email bring in enough money to make up for what you'll lose from customers who scramble for their Back buttons the instant that thing pops up in their faces?

Image is everything online. On the Web, nobody knows you're a dog -- or you're a trustworthy person. They have only your image to go on. You have to build an image of being trustworthy, as well as actually being trustworthy, or you won't get people's trust. And in business, a customer's trust is worth infinitely more than their email address.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 06-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I can see you are very enthusiastic about this matter and you certainly make a perfectly good argument.
Point understood.
Matt.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting link there.

2. The winner of the Kindle DX contest was "Kindle boy" - here is his winning video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIULRPjRx_s

You have a Winner! It seems.

The video has a date of August 30, 2009.

On Mobileread dated 6/23/09 he says:
"Hey everyone. Just a quick update. Our contest is ending in 2 days and there is still time to send in videos and reviews if you want a chance of winning.
Here's the link to the contest rules again.
Thanks to all of the people who entered.
Matt. "

And then on 7/1/09 he says:
"Hey everyone.
If you have the time please check out our contest finalist and vote for them:

http://ereadercentral.org/blog/the-k...-one-for-free/

There are some really nice entries.
Matt."

So the contest ends on 6/25/09 the winner will be chosen on 7/1/09. Sometime between July 2nd (?) and August 30th the boy gets his Kindle and makes a video. Being so young I suppose that it took him a few tries.

Looking below the video you see who submitted it.

"andriel4 — August 30, 2009 — Kindleboy is back to give his thanks to E-Reader Central and each of you who voted for his video in the Kindle DX contest. "

Clicking on andriel4 and you see that andriel4 has submitted an earlier video dated 6/23/09. I can see why you liked it so much. It's a well thought out "cute kid" video. The Winning video? Nice infomercial?

I suppose there must not have been an age limit on winning entries.

Now don't forget to update your web page. You haven't gotten many hits after that "contest". In fact you're only averaging 2,421 U.S. visitors per month.

I know, "Hey, thanks for all for of the feedback."
Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
SameOldStory
My True Self

As per Worldwalker, image is everything on the web.

Yours leave a bit to be desired.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 06-03-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Hey SameOldStory.

I really don't understand all of your "web resentment" towards me. Yes this contest was held last year and yes "Kindle boy" made the video only a month and a half later. If you want I'll send you the Amazon receipt of his prize - maybe that will make you believe me.

And what difference does it make how many U.S. visitors I have?

All I asked was for some constructive feed, exactly like WorldWalker gave me. I don't care about getting hammered around on the head when there's a point to it, but I get the feeling as if you have something personal against me, and I can't really understand why.

So in this case, no thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your site is sadly lacking in content. It seems to cater just for the Kindle, nook, and iPad. There are many other readers out there. Also, the term eReader is using already by the format eReader and associated software for displaying such.

What about Sony, iRex, Jetbook and clones, Astak and other same hardware, Kobo, Bookeen, and others using Netronix hardware, Pocketbook, and more? They do exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Hey SameOldStory.

I really don't understand all of your "web resentment" towards me. Yes this contest was held last year and yes "Kindle boy" made the video only a month and a half later. If you want I'll send you the Amazon receipt of his prize - maybe that will make you believe me.
The contest was so poorly done that it looked like a sham. Contest anounced on multiple sites and then you disappear. No winner announcement. No evidence left of rules or winners.

Quote:
Hey SameOldStory.

And what difference does it make how many U.S. visitors I have?
What that graph shows is that after the contest not only did you do nothing to capitalize on it, you practicly disapeared for 9 months. Not a confidence builder.

Quote:
Hey SameOldStory.

All I asked was for some constructive feed, exactly like WorldWalker gave me. I don't care about getting hammered around on the head when there's a point to it, but I get the feeling as if you have something personal against me, and I can't really understand why.
Well, actually you asked for more than just that.

Quote:

So I'd appreciate if I could get your opinion, and please do your worst, I could use the feedback

Thank you all for you time.
Matt
I've given my opinion publicly, and in private mail to you. With all the criticism that we have given you, you have done well.

You've gotten a lot of s.. er stuff about you web site. Yes, it really does need improvement. Yes, you asked for help. But next time you may want to just leave out the "and please do your worst" part.

Good luck redesigning the web site.