Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Acharn
Acharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
How to fix extra authors

I have Calibre 1.44 running on Windows 7. I have to say that I love calibre, but right now I'm a bit frustrated. For the last year or so I've been occasionally running "Library Maintenance/Check Database" and getting large numbers of every category of "Problems found." Eventually I've got it down to Extra Titles (104 entries) and Extra Authors (22 entries). The program shows 1,034 books, which I suppose is from the database rather than counting files in the library.

The thing is, the only option I'm given is to delete the files and directories, but I don't want to delete them, I want to get them added to the database. The folder titles already have numbers in them, which I suppose means they were put in the library by Calibre when I added them. This is important enough to me to do manually (it'll take many hours, if not days), but is there any alternative? Should I copy the folders to another containing folder and add them to the library from there? Would it be OK to add them to the library from the library? I have visions of starting an infinite loop, but I don't suppose that's likely. Oh, I ran the "Restore Database" option and got a message that it ran with "some" errors. When I checked the details the "some" errors turned out to be a couple hundred lines of Python errors. Some of the previous extra titles were added to the database and some that were in the database are now listed as extra titles. Should I be sending a bug report to Kovid Goyal?
Acharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Add/delete/rename nothing directly in the Libraries KNOWN folders.

A number (##) just indicates that at one time, the folder WAS created by calibre. It may no longer be active.

When you do some library metadata edit operations, that BOOKS number might change. Calibre does a 'Make New then delete the Old folder' transaction.

Something might have blocked the Delete portion, or your cloud put the old folder back
See if that book exists elsewhere (different #, with a slight title change).

Move the UNKNOWN folders to a SAFE area, then add those books back the traditional, calibre way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you use the Calibre function to move the library to another location then it will move all the files that are recorded in the Calibre metadata database. Any left behind in the old location will be ones that Calibre does not know about. You can then decide what you want to about these.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote