Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Error converting ePubs in Dropbox

I have been doing a load of library maintenance - removing duplicates - correcting series - grabbing metadata and covers.

I decided to do a full scale "convert ePub to ePub" to make sure everything was spot on with all the files.

(I have over 9500 titles in library if that makes a difference)

It started conversion - go 2% through lining them up to convert and I got

calibre, version 0.8.61
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 271, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tools.py", line 178, in do_book
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\config.py", line 45, in save_specifics
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database.py", line 1168, in set_conversion_options
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 314, in run
DatabaseException: disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 271, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

I figured maybe there was some dross in the files choking it so I ran Modify ePub plugin - left it running overnight. Came back in morning - no error messages Checked jobs and found a note that it had been terminated as it was taking too long to run!!

However, I then reran Calibre's ePub to ePub conversion and now it got 70% through lining them up to convert before choking again

Any thoughts??

(There's over 150GB free space on disc concerned although they are in my Dropbox folder - which also has plenty of space online)
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
(There's over 150GB free space on disc concerned although they are in my Dropbox folder - which also has plenty of space online)
If you are going to do anything like this, exit Dropbox prior to executing your conversions and you shouldn't have a problem. Every now and then Dropbox and calibre will battle for access to the same file and you get a hiccup. Normally nothing to concern yourself over, but when you attempt to do a job as big as the one you described exiting Dropbox first is a must.

I've been using dropbox and calibre for years and I have learned from experience.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
DMee
Zealot

worked like a dream

OK, so do I start a thread "Calibre and Dropbox fighting"
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
worked like a dream

OK, so do I start a thread "Calibre and Dropbox fighting"
No
Dropbox problems are NOT a Calibre problem.

Calibre is designed to run on a Local PC. When you do otherwise, you takes your knocks Gracefully

Sometimes (and it happens a lot) Kovid and crew will find a way to mitigate non-traditional installation problems , but don't count on it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
DMee
Zealot

Sure - just wondering which is handling file locking incorrectly......

Last edited by DMee; 07-24-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sure - just wondering which is handling file locking incorrectly......
Neither
It is running asynchronously over a slower link.
Your expectations for large data transfers are just set way too high
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
DMee
Zealot

But files are held locally, then turfed to Dropbox when finished, so shouldn't hassle either??
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On windows file locking is done by the windows kernel for all files automatically. Not by programs. Therefore, neither dropbox nor calibre are handling file locking incorrectly, since neither of them do any file locking at all. You simply cannot have two programs simultaneously accessing the same set of files in both read and write modes. If you do that, things *will* break. Putting a calibre library in dropbox is a horrible hack. If you're careful, you can get away with it, but when things break, you have only yourself to blame.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
DMee
Zealot

But Calibre is the one falling over? IMHO, its missing an "oooops files busy try again in a minute" setting.

More to point, why is dropbox trying to access the file if its not changed??

Its not a "horrible hack" - its lovely, allows me to use calibre2opds to access books anywhere
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is to do your conversions and whatnot locally and then copy it over to dropbox. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is a horrible hack. What it allows you to do is irrelevant to its horrible hackishness. You can put a bomb in a garbage can and sit on the lid as a wonderful way to jump up ten stories. Even if it works, that does not make it any less of a horrible hack and you really cannot complain to either the makers of the garbage can or the bomb if you end up a smear on the pavement.

And I shudder to think of what having a setting like "oops the file is busy try again later" would do to data integrity, UI predictability and code complexity. But hey, it will allow you to jump up ten stories

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-24-2012 at 12:07 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
DMee
Zealot

love it

Here's to jumping 10 stories

Wasn't moaning. Just wondering. Now I know they don't play well I will just turn off Dropbox until finished with Calibre
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution is to do your conversions and whatnot locally and then copy it over to dropbox. Problem solved.
As DMee stated Dropbox files are local. As long as she exits Dropbox prior to doing any multiple conversions she'll be fine.

As Kovid stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Putting a calibre library in dropbox is a horrible hack. If you're careful, you can get away with it, but when things break, you have only yourself to blame.
Kovid is 100% accurate. Even though putting your calibre library in a Dropbox folder has many advantages it is also a minefield that users have to be aware of. The occasional hiccup during conversion being one of those mines. The biggest mine is attempting to access your library from more than one computer and not allowing Dropbox to fully sync from the cloud prior to launching calibre. This could cause libraries on two machines to get out of sync.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My approach with DropBox is while I *DO* have a copy of my library there, I use AllwaysSync to replicate to that folder from my actual library. Yes; it means I use double the space on my PC, but I also feel confident that there will be no issues with DropBox and Calibre "arguing". Syncs ONLY go from my actual library to my DropBox folder; not the other way.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My approach with DropBox is while I *DO* have a copy of my library there, I use AllwaysSync to replicate to that folder from my actual library. Yes; it means I use double the space on my PC, but I also feel confident that there will be no issues with DropBox and Calibre "arguing". Syncs ONLY go from my actual library to my DropBox folder; not the other way.
Excellent idea.