Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
PDF italics yeilds line breaks

I have a book only in PDF format, and not available to buy a better version. I'm using Calibre 0.8.34 to convert it to mobi for a kindle. Is there any setting or fix I can apply to prevent italicized words in the pdf from generating spurious line breaks and incorrect word breaks too? I tried outputting the DEBUG info, and the problem begins in the input section and has worsened by the parse section. See pics for examples of extra line breaks being inserted, and also for some italicized sections grabbing part of the neighboring word too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-pdf.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	81103   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Debug-input.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	81104   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-debug-parsed.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	81105  
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
voidwards
voidwards is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4
I have the same issue, it has been driving me nuts for over a week. I tried the Amazon converter, MobiPocket creator, and everything I could find in Calibre and nothing will solve it. I would ideally love to have some regex code that would allow me to control the spacing before and after every italicized word. No luck so far.
voidwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
voidwards
voidwards is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4
Well, nevermind, I solved my problem. In my case, all italicized word were missing a space after the word, so it would run into the neighboring word and effectively make one word only every time, e.g., "it all makessense after all".

So what I ended up doing is I imported the PDF in MobiPocket Creator to get the html, and used their html editor function there (which opened my notepad with the book in it) and I simply went in Edit -> Replace, and replaced all the occurences of </i> with the same but with an added space after it. It ended up being a very simple solution.
voidwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was going to do that, but only found HTMLZ output in Calibre. Which didn't show up as text, in my editor. Where do I get MobiPocket Creator?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote