Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Kindle Voyage Screen

I've got my KV in a case, and don't mind the weight. I was just wondering how easily the screen would scratched, as it's glass? Would it scratch more easily than the Paperwhite screen? Just wondering.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've had no problems with any Kindle ereader screen getting scratched.

"The glass covering the panel is strengthened Gorilla Glass, but in order to stop glare it has been micro-etched. The side effect of such a process, according to Amazon, is that the glass feels like paper."
http://www.geek.com/chips/amazon-ann...paper-1604744/

Gorilla glass?
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthi...illa-Glass.htm
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been using handheld devices for years beginning with the Tandy Zoomer that I bought in 1992. I've had and have several Palms, tablets, ereaders, smartphones, etc ever since. I upgrade a lot so just guessing, I've probably had something like 30 or 40 of these handheld devices, mostly with plastic screens.

I've never scratched a screen yet. I did drop one and break the screen but it was in a case at the time. It feel about 4' to the concrete. I also tripped while walking into the bathroom and my Archos handheld went flying into the toilet where it drowned. There was no case but that a case wouldn't have made any difference.

I usually do buy a case for my current device for those times when I expect to be rough with it, like carrying it in a pants pocket along with my keys. Other than times like that I prefer to leave it out of the case. Again, I've never scratched a screen, not even a plastic one.

If the Voyage is really Gorilla Glass, and I've heard both ways on that, I'd say it's pretty safe. If it's not I think it's still pretty safe. It is glass.

I currently have a Voyage and a Paperwhite and some kobo's. They're not in a case. I'm pretty careful where I set the Kobo's and the Paperwhite down. With the Voyage and it's glass screen I don't worry about it. I've had it a few months and it's still fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
I had a Kindle PaperWhite that I started carrying around without a case. I don't know how I did it, but after a few months I noticed I had a small "ding" on the screen in the lower right. It was not a crack. It appeared more as a very small (about 0.1 mm dia) bright spot that I could only see when the PW was turned off and holding the screen nearly parallel to my line of sight such that the room light was reflecting off the screen in a certain way. It appeared as if there were a coating of some type of the screen that had been knocked off in this one spot. It reflected the light differently than the rest of the screen. I'm positive it wasn't there when I got the PW and although I know about when it happened, I don't know the specific event that caused it. I'd been tossing the Kindle PW about pretty much the way I do my cell phone - counting on the Gorilla Glass to take the licking and keep on ticking.

This blemish *really* bugged me.

Not because it affected my reading. It was hard to see under any circumstance and virtually impossible to see when I turned the PW on - using it's built in light at normal reading levels. The blemish virtually disappeared when the Kindle light was on.

I don't know why this bothered me so much. Perhaps that the Kindle is such a big part of my life I was very upset to learn that (a) the screen could be "scratched" even in this minor way, and (b) that I had put a blemish on my "little precious." (that's a joke!)

I now have a Kindle Voyage and always carry it in it's case. At night when I read in bed, I take it out of the case so I can hold it overhead with ease. But I'm careful to lay it face down on the case on my nightstand before going to sleep.

That's my experience. You could take this story to mean that the Kindle screen is very robust and extremely difficult to damage in any way that actually affects your reading. Or, like me, you can always carry it in its case.

Last edited by goggin; 05-31-2015 at 04:08 PM.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ that sounds like what people around here called a pin hole. It is a flaw in the light diffusion layer. It was probably there all along, you just had not noticed until then.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert