Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
NOOKcolor - News on 2.2 and Android Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartphone Mag
If you've been wondering why Barnes & Noble's full color e-reader, the Nook Color, was running yesterday's Android OS, have no fear-2.2 is almost here!

I spoke today with a Barnes & Noble representative who showed me the forthcoming update on his company Nook which is slated for this January. The 2.2 Android update is a game changer and literally turns the e-reader into a near full Android tablet device.

The 2.2 update, or overhaul if you prefer, will give you access to a retooled Android Market, the typical Android home screen and even has pinch zooming with the browser. The Android Market app was still under development and was not on the device to see. I was told that Nook users may not have access to the full market. The Nook I looked at had apps loaded via the SD card slot and seemed to run fine. The device will still give you access to all of your Nook material via the current interface that will be swicthable for the user.

The update addresses performance and battery life concerns according to the rep I spoke to. The update on his Nook was still in beta so it lacked some polish but seemed to work smoother than the stock device. The graphics performance still seemed sluggish even with 2.2 when scrolling through magazines and web pages.

The best news is that Nook Color owners will be able to use their new Nooks as a full tablet device that rivals any other Android tablet currently in the consumer arena. Even iPad users may turn envious at the smaller form factor and $249 purchase price.
Link, obtained through Engadget

So is the Nook market a modified version of Android Market then? It seems the 2.2 update will be more extensive than I'd thought, if this is accurate.

UPDATE: See clarification in Engadget article to B&N market.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 12-15-2010 at 02:20 AM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sounds like they took their lead from those who rooted their NOOKcolor. I think the key wording is "Nook users may not have access to the full market".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
So is the Nook market a modified version of Android Market then?
It would almost have to be, rather than have people installing apps that need GPS or camera capabilities and thinking the NC is broken. It will also allow B&N to sell and highlight NC-specific apps. The materials with the developer's kit are really pushing for reader-centric apps. If they're NC-specific, they become a selling point for the platform.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
ypocaramel
Connoisseur

The SDK press release made it seem like they were pushing developers to make full-featured apps that served what I think was the NOOKcolor's original target market - late 30's to 50 year olds who would normally shop at B&N brick and mortar. Figure they would need to push that market since Android is skewed towards the 20-30s and techies.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
Interesting that the Engadget link seems to suggest that the Kindle app will be one of those offered on the Nook/Android Market.

Oh, and hi!
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I found this interesting
"I was told that Nook users may not have access to the full market."

I bet it will allow most things but not ebook reading apps such as kindle. The idea as I see it would be If you allow most apps then why root your nook and if you don't root your nook then no kindle.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
ypocaramel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
It would almost have to be, rather than have people installing apps that need GPS or camera capabilities and thinking the NC is broken. It will also allow B&N to sell and highlight NC-specific apps. The materials with the developer's kit are really pushing for reader-centric apps. If they're NC-specific, they become a selling point for the platform.
When they mentioned Nookstore, I always thought it would be a separate app apart from Android Market. This took me a bit by surprise - I guess we'll see the listing procedures for this modified market in due course.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When they mentioned Nookstore, I always thought it would be a separate app apart from Android Market. This took me a bit by surprise - I guess we'll see the listing procedures for this modified market in due course.
I was under the same impression. Now it's simply access to a subset of the Android Market?

Edit: Not that being a subset of the Android Market is a negative thing.

Last edited by SCION; 12-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Apikoros18
Apikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Either way, sounds good to me! (And I am in the 30-50 market who would normally shop at the Brick and Mortar)
Apikoros18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmmm...so we might see an increase in battery life? I'm down with that!
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The SDK press release made it seem like they were pushing developers to make full-featured apps that served what I think was the NOOKcolor's original target market - late 30's to 50 year olds who would normally shop at B&N brick and mortar. Figure they would need to push that market since Android is skewed towards the 20-30s and techies.
And where does that leave me at 68 years old?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was under the same impression. Now it's simply access to a subset of the Android Market?
Hope so. If it's strictly a B&N app store, then I'd expect most of the apps to cost money. If it's just a smaller version of the Android Market, then I'd expect to see quite a few free apps.

I love free!!!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hope so. If it's strictly a B&N app store, then I'd expect most of the apps to cost money. If it's just a smaller version of the Android Market, then I'd expect to see quite a few free apps.

I love free!!!
then you would love Android phones, I think I paid for one app and all my Apps are mainstream ones

heck even Angry Birds is free on the Android Market Place.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I love free!!!
I agree. I think that if that was the intent all along and had been disclosed, many probably would not have rooted. They just would've waited.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
NookColor upgrade coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is exactly why I bought a NC. It was inevitable the B&N needed to do something to counter the Kindle juggernaut and offering a tablet at an e-reader price was the obvious way to do it. I hope they fix a few minor things when they upgrade, like the lowest brightness setting being still to bright, and adding sideloaded docs to the home pages. Of course, better battery life is always welcome.

The Android Market is somewhat of a swamp. The Apple App Store is better since they at least insure developers stick to hardware guidelines when they develop apps. With the Android store it's hit and miss. Apps may look and work fine on one platform and not another. I hope B&N have the same philosophy when they introduce their own store as I am not into fixing stuff that should work but doesn't.

As for apps, I hope we see Skype, Netflix, an email client, and improvements to the browser running on NC. If so, I will be more than satisfied. I don't need another Angry Birds, or Resident Evil app. Sorry kids, but reading books and watching a little The Office is enough entertainment for me most of the time. I'm 59, BTW.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color