Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #121
PavelKaza
PavelKaza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
hi
it was easy in the end. I edit playlist.ini and adjust (mnt/us/music/all/***.mp3) .
One differnet thing is , that me play all songs from folder I:/music/all/

Last edited by PavelKaza; 03-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
PavelKaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #122
adampatch
adampatch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi, I've had mplayer installed on my kindle for a few days. It's great, thanks, but there does seem to be a problem.

After it's been running for a while it stops playing and nothing short of a kindle restart can get it going again. I try stop (^MS) then start (^MA) and various other combinations. Nothing. At first i thought it might coincide witht he kindle going to sleep/screensaver mode but it doesn't, it happens 5-10 minutes after this.

My friend who installed this on her kindle on the same day has exactly the same problem. We both have version 3.3 of the firmware.

Anyone know what's happening and how to fix it?

I also have a feature request. It's good to have random mode (the main reason i installed it) but it would be to be able to turn it off again. I often put my whole playlist on random but suddenly a particular song pops up ad i decide i want to play the rest of the album that song is on ie. go from random to continuous mode. I'm fairly sure you can do this with mplayer and if i was a bit less useless i could possibly implement this myself...

Anyway, thanks again
adampatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #123
Safazeck
Safazeck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 2.5.8
what can I do to improve kindle DXG v. 2.5.8 mp3player?

what can I do to improve kindle DXG v. 2.5.8 mp3player?
Safazeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #124
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
i want my kindle's mplayer to be killed in a time that can be set!

hello!I come from china!Excuse my poor english!

i usually listen music before sleeping,mostly i fall sleep without shuting down my kindle! so i want my kindle's mplayer to be killed in a time that can be set!
i think it is useful because i have many friend , is not that?
thank you!

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-13-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: error
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #125
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Mplayer is great, thank you. Apart from manually creating a playlist and using that, is there a way I can pick the exact song, (or even album folder) I want to play please?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #126
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
Mplayer is great, thank you. Apart from manually creating a playlist and using that, is there a way I can pick the exact song, (or even album folder) I want to play please?
not without myts or something similar...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #127
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
is 3G just a non starter? it'd be so cool to be able to stream net radio away from wifi hot spots, eg, the beach.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #128
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
is 3G just a non starter? it'd be so cool to be able to stream net radio away from wifi hot spots, eg, the beach.
3G goes through the amazon proxy. Amazon pays for the 3G traffic. Streaming media would consume too much bandwidth. The kindle web browser also places a limit what file types may be downloaded.

3G has its uses, but streaming media is not one of them.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #129
kaito
Connoisseur
kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: k3w, gloHD
I am trying to cross compile a newer mplayer and it is successful, but I can't figure out why it uses so much cpu (which drains the battery).

I am using these compile instructions:

http://gitorious.org/kindlebrew/mpla...aster/build.sh

export CFLAGS="-O4 -I$ALSAPREFIX/include/ -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"

mplayer -v ...
Configuration: --enable-cross-compile --enable-armv6 --target=arm-linux --host-cc=gcc --cc=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc --as=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-as --nm=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-nm --ranlib=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ranlib --disable-mencoder --disable-libdvdcss-internal --disable-dvdread-internal --disable-tv --disable-tga --disable-dvb --disable-v4l2 --disable-yuv4mpeg --disable-directfb --disable-fbdev --disable-ossaudio --disable-vcd

But this one made by fbdev:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147854

mplayer -v ...
Configuration: --prefix=/tmp/mp --disable-mencoder --disable-directfb --disable-fbdev --disable-ossaudio

uses 10% cpu, much less. I suppose it isn't cross compiled. How can I properly cross compile it to do the same? I've tried different -O values in the CFLAGS but that only makes the cpu use worse.

Is it alsa? Something else? I'm using k3 keyboard.

Last edited by kaito; 05-10-2013 at 02:49 AM.
kaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #130
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What libasound did you use?
The one on the Kindle ?

What you describe is a difference in the source code, not build differences.

Did you try the mplayer kindle binary from this site ?
Does it run as desired ?
Can you rebuild it and have it run the same as the binary ?
(tests your entire setup and direction following ability.)

Once past those steps - then try to change things (like a different source).

When you write: "following these directions . . ." and post a link to a script file -
Do you mean you are running the script file ?
Or do you mean you are reading it as a list of directions ?

Last edited by knc1; 05-10-2013 at 08:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #131
kaito
Connoisseur
kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What libasound did you use?
The one on the Kindle ?

What you describe is a difference in the source code, not build differences.

Did you try the mplayer kindle binary from this site ?
Does it run as desired ?
Can you rebuild it and have it run the same as the binary ?
(tests your entire setup and direction following ability.)

Once past those steps - then try to change things (like a different source).

When you write: "following these directions . . ." and post a link to a script file -
Do you mean you are running the script file ?
Or do you mean you are reading it as a list of directions ?

Which binary from this site? This one?
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1297101459

On page 7 of this thread other people also describe the higher CPU usage of this binary compared to the fbdev one. I would like to know how I can compile it like fbdev, he did not mention any source changes.

His binary:
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1318198574

Using -O2 instead of -O4 uses 40% cpu instead of 30% cpu. I just watch it in top for a minute. fbdev's uses 10%.

I use MPlayer-1.0rc4 source, same as other two until I can figure out the magic of the low cpu use.
My binary ends up with the same CPU use as the binary in this thread. But that is 3x as high as the fbdev one.

All use the libasound on the kindle as far as I know. Mine was compiled against 1.0.13 just like the build.sh suggests. I read it as a list of instructions.

Last edited by kaito; 05-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #132
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito View Post
Which binary from this site? This one?
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1297101459

On page 7 of this thread other people also describe the higher CPU usage of this binary compared to the fbdev one. I would like to know how I can compile it like fbdev, he did not mention any source changes.

His binary:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1318198574

Using -O2 instead of -O4 uses 40% cpu instead of 30% cpu. I just watch it in top for a minute. fbdev's uses 10%.

I use MPlayer-1.0rc4 source, same as other two until I can figure out the magic of the low cpu use.
My binary ends up with the same CPU use as the binary in this thread. But that is 3x as high as the fbdev one.

All use the libasound on the kindle as far as I know. Mine was compiled against 1.0.13 just like the build.sh suggests. I read it as a list of instructions.
The difference between binaries suggests that the faster one uses hardware fpu. Try to recompile with "--with-float=softfp"

Code:
$ readelf -A mplayer
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "ARM1136J-S"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v6
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-1
  Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv2
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
  Tag_ABI_align8_preserved: Yes, except leaf SP
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
Remember also about optimization options in mplayer configure script. Choose right ones for your processor:
Code:
  --enable-armv5te          enable DSP extensions (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armv6            enable ARMv6 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armv6t2          enable ARMv6t2 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armvfp           enable ARM VFP (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-vfpv3            enable ARM VFPV3 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-neon             enable NEON (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-thumb            enable THUMB (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-iwmmxt           enable iWMMXt (ARM) [autodetect]

Last edited by baf; 05-10-2013 at 01:33 PM.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #133
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
The difference between binaries suggests that the faster one uses hardware fpu. Try to recompile with "--with-float=softfp"

Code:
$ readelf -A mplayer
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "ARM1136J-S"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v6
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-1
  Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv2
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
  Tag_ABI_align8_preserved: Yes, except leaf SP
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
Remember also about optimization options in mplayer configure script. Choose right ones for your processor:
Code:
  --enable-armv5te          enable DSP extensions (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armv6            enable ARMv6 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armv6t2          enable ARMv6t2 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-armvfp           enable ARM VFP (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-vfpv3            enable ARM VFPV3 (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-neon             enable NEON (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-thumb            enable THUMB (ARM) [autodetect]
  --enable-iwmmxt           enable iWMMXt (ARM) [autodetect]
Which, if building for the K3 is --enable-armvfp

Also, as baf illustrates, use readelf on the fbdev build to find other options that may have been used.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #134
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which, if building for the K3 is --enable-armvfp
if it is "ARM1136J-S", probably also --enable-armv6 --enable-thumb
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #135
kaito
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Thanks for the help baf & knc1. Soft FP was definitely the problem with CPU use.

I wasn't able to compile with --enable-thumb (some register error), but adding --enable-armvfp was fine. My readelf tag output now exactly matches the fbdev binary and cpu use is the same lower number with Mplayer v1.1.1.

The build.sh script could be updated to use softfp:

export CFLAGS="-O4 -I$ALSAPREFIX/include/ -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfloat-abi=softfp -mcpu=arm1136j-s -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"

Last edited by kaito; 05-11-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: quote

Tags
aac, mplayer, music, ogg, streaming