Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Hot dog!... This gorilla glass is tough!

Since iFixIt beat me to the punch in disassembling the KF, I went ahead and drop and scratch tested it - Kindle Fire Drop Test with a video.

I was astonished. The outer glass is pretty much unbreakable and unscratchable. You can carry KF in a box full of screws and nails and it would be fine.

After a bad 6' fall the LCD did break internally, but outer glass didn't have a dent on it.

When I set out testing it, I assumed that this "20 times stronger, 30 times tougher" buzz was just marketing. Turns out - it is not.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Since iFixIt beat me to the punch in disassembling the KF, I went ahead and drop and scratch tested it - Kindle Fire Drop Test with a video.

I was astonished. The outer glass is pretty much unbreakable and unscratchable. You can carry KF in a box full of screws and nails and it would be fine.

After a bad 6' fall the LCD did break internally, but outer glass didn't have a dent on it.

When I set out testing it, I assumed that this "20 times stronger, 30 times tougher" buzz was just marketing. Turns out - it is not.
This is good to know. I don't have to hover over my children when they use theirs. Constantly telling them to not be so rough with it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Luckily Amazon just might replace that for you! .

Thanks, it's good to know!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is good to know. I don't have to hover over my children when they use theirs. Constantly telling them to not be so rough with it.
Actually, you do have to hover. The LCD layer is not tough, just the glass is. So while they may not damage the glass, they sure can damage the LCD layer under the glass.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, you do have to hover. The LCD layer is not tough, just the glass is. So while they may not damage the glass, they sure can damage the LCD layer under the glass.
My concern is scratches. That doesn't seem to be an issue. They're ages 9 and 11 with a fair bit of common sense to understand many things are fragile to some extent. Being outright abusive like a toddler would be isn't their thing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

It survived all of the falls from 3' to stone floor (about the height child might drop it from) regardless of the angle. It also survived a angled fall from 6' to the same foor. Although I'm not going to test further with my second KF, I'm pretty sure that had it fallen flat on it's screen on a carpet it would have fared fine.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
It survived all of the falls from 3' to stone floor (about the height child might drop it from) regardless of the angle. It also survived a angled fall from 6' to the same foor. Although I'm not going to test further with my second KF, I'm pretty sure that had it fallen flat on it's screen on a carpet it would have fared fine.
I am cringing inside those poor Kindles!
Be nice to your Kindle!

Seriously though thanks for confirming how tough it is. It puts me a little more at ease.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Luckily Amazon just might replace that for you! .

Thanks, it's good to know!
Can you imagine what Kindle support would say?

Owner: "umm...I drop my Kindle Fire from a 6 foot fall to see how tough it is and it broke after I bashed it around a bit."

K.S.: "....... Sir you not suppose to do that!"

Owner "Can I get it replaced?"

K.S.: ............

I don't think even Amazon is that nice!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Blog Kindle
Addict

Hard to say if Amazon should be happy about my "testing" or not. On one hand there's now an independent proof of the fact that Kindle Fire screen is as tough as they advertise. On the other hand some folks will be more careless about their KFs, resulting in more accidental damage for CS and warranty to deal with.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Holy schnike that Gorilla Glass is tough. And the unit itself seems pretty rugged too - a six foot drop is a pretty big drop to endure. I'm impressed, and appreciate the sacrifice that will no doubt give me great peace of mind.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I can also confirm that Gorilla Glass is resistant to cat claws. My cat jumped from the floor to my lap and landed/skidded on the face of my Fire - after teaching the cat a few new words, I looked at the display - can't see any scratches at all.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My concern is scratches. That doesn't seem to be an issue. They're ages 9 and 11 with a fair bit of common sense to understand many things are fragile to some extent. Being outright abusive like a toddler would be isn't their thing.
I think you'll have little to worry about. Gorilla Glass is quite scratch resistant.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I can also confirm that Gorilla Glass is resistant to cat claws. My cat jumped from the floor to my lap and landed/skidded on the face of my Fire - after teaching the cat a few new words, I looked at the display - can't see any scratches at all.
Cats also suck babies' breath while they sleep.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #14
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Cats also suck babies' breath while they sleep.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Used to carry my Zune HD, which also had a gorilla glass screen, in my pocket with my keys. It got one slight scratch in about six months of this. Very tough.

Last edited by SamuraiXSendai; 11-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote