Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Karma giver.... [unutterable silliness]

I have been reflecting lately about what makes this place so inviting and appealing. In the end, I think it all comes down to....

Seriously, we all know we want it and when we don't get it, it makes us crave it more...

Now, I don't want to discuss, per say, what karma you have received. That's all recorded and private. But, what I do want to discuss is the karma you have given that has been the most deserving/satisfying.

I know it will be hard to remember any karma given past yesterday (or today for some), but I am sure you may have a story to relate about when you felt 'most satisfied' giving karma.

No, I don't see this taking the form of Poll with 'Taylor514ce' as a poll option.

And no, I don't have a karma fetish.

So... let me begin:

A while ago I was reading a thread which I found interesting and came across a response which so utterly ‘impressed’ me with it’s subtle bluntness that I knew I had to convey karma to the poster. My most rewarding Karma award goes to….
  1. Taylor514ce
  2. Honorable mention to vivaldirules' response

Anything that stands out for you?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The spaces where my ears would approximately be were tingling, and not a squirrel in sight. This thread had to be the reason. The most satisfying recent karma I gave was also for vivaldirules. I mean, that doggy does look as if it might just be poised to puke.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-01-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The most satisfying recent karma I gave was also for vivaldirules.
trying to sweet talk your way out of the doghouse i see...

i can't remember my MOST satisfying karma (even recent) because i'm rather liberal with it and it is all satisfying (or i would stop giving it). i can remember a recent case of frustrating karma though, because i tried to give some to NatCh but got the message "you must spread some karma around before you give it to NatCh again." so i sent him a pm instead.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think there should be a poll with Taylor514ce as an option. I don't know what the poll would be about, but I do suggest some of the other options be:

General Relativity
Mozzle
Ego
Quasiperiodicity
Turtle Wax
US$1.85
Egg Whites
The blue one, next to the fish.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I think there should be a poll with Taylor514ce as an option. I don't know what the poll would be about, but I do suggest some of the other options be:

General Relativity
Mozzle
Ego
Quasiperiodicity
Turtle Wax
US$1.85
Egg Whites
The blue one, next to the fish.
well if those are the options it has to be a multiple selection poll.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And don't forget the WD40.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
A few new people have submitted books lately and I always try to give the new submitters Karma. Even if I do not care for the book I applaud the effort it takes to create them. I hope that it will encourage them to make more.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Putting aside for a moment the karma to some that have stood up to the few bullies that have wandered into these forums, I remember giving karma to Patricia for her posting of a Voltaire book that I had looked for since the 1970s but never found in English (since my French is so utterly bad.) I felt like a kid in a candy shop with a one hundred dollar bill. I was greedy -- I stayed off the forum, read the book, and did not return to give karma until I had finished each and every wonderful page.

Beyond that time (and I am sure that I am omitting many that also deserve to be on the list) was to Nick for extending the original three formats of the Harvard Classics to four formats, some comments by Marc, a response by Taylor514ce (more to his avatar I think), and to the ultimate karma giver and his "doughnuts" Uncle Duke.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

that reminds me of some karma to the poster above me (hello RWood !), for uploading some F.Scott Fitzgerald books. he's my favorite author.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
but got the message "you must spread some karma around before you give it to NatCh again."
Funny, I got that message once before when trying to give karma to someone (other than NatCh) who I actually hadn't ever given karma to before.

My solution was to spread some karma to other deserving posters and then I was allowed to give karma to that 'someone', for the first time!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that reminds me of some karma to the poster above me (hello RWood !), for uploading some F.Scott Fitzgerald books. he's my favorite author.
And lest us not forget F. Scott's dearest Zelda... compliments of:
Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
a response by Taylor514ce (more to his avatar I think)
It was for this post. Come on people, let's keep this thread all about me. That makes "ego" the proper poll choice, for those keeping score, especially since I inadvertently left off "Frilled Lizards" and "Nutella".
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh! I'd've voted for frilled lizards if it had been there to begin with! :wink2!

I give karma a lot for folks that make me laugh, especially if I'm in a particular need of a laugh at that moment.

The last karma I gave was for egregious and gratuitous vocabulary exercise.

The most personally gratifying karma I've given recently was to a member who's responsible for a certain Sony Reader support utility.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I thought I'd share this from another forum with a similar system, only they call it "Reputation" rather than "Karma". One poster says,

"About 90% of my reps come from people who only post once."

The reply:

"About 90% of your posts come from someone who should only post once."

(Meanwhile, I'm feeling so depressed, after realizing I've apparently never made NatCh laugh.)

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-01-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Reason for Editing? There's no reason for anything.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Given that giving karma does not revolve around me, and though I have liberally spread it around like butter on toast (now who gave me that phrase, "butter on toast"> vivaldirules, I believe), it is a rare thing that I remember what I gave it for. I know I love it when a new "10 karma points" person comes in with good humour and wit and intelligence and without giving any credence or respect to "clique", just jumps in with a constructive and personable and good-natured post. It's especially good when their good humour extends to an immediate and excellent and friendly ribbing of me and some unutterable silliness I have partaken of.

Other than that, my favourite karma was giving karma to Taylor514ce when he implicitly begged off it and cautioned against its possible misuse. The mongrel deserved it for that.

(Incidentally, can we have a poll to select an appropriate moniker for Taylor514ce/Planethead? The Mice know that neither of these seem appropriately casual and friendly enough and, assuming a "first name basis" is undesired, I am sure we can come up with some interesting and more personable names. I like "Adrian". ).

Cheers,
Marc (but you can call me "Marc")
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness