Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #391
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Yup, I selected Alt, and the font changes, but then when I go back to the font selection box it reverts to the original settings and I lose the font. It's very strange.

Also are those line-spacing options normal to show up like that?
Yes, they are normal. I lost my settings once each on both the K3 and the K4, but not since. You might have to run the plugin again as that is what I had to do. Also be sure to check the box in the plugin that says something to the effect that you want to use a sideloaded font.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #392
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep! I live near Betsy town.

Ah you're in Charlotte! My hubby is from Fayetteville. So I use to live in Boone and we worked out of Charlotte. Also lived in Wilmington for awhile but the hurricanes came and I made for the Tennessee Hills!

I'm originally a midwesterner from St Louis, Missouri met a military guy online and married him. We moved several places till he separated in 2004 then we moved to NC and finally here to TN where the tax is high but the cost of living is low!
Wow, you have just lived everywhere!
I miss the hills up there, so green and pretty! It's so flat here. Maybe one of these days when hubby retires we can go back up there. *sigh* I need to a hillbilly again!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #393
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Navigation is just like on the K3. Entering text is a bit sluggish, but I never enter that much text with my readers. A few menu items are different and it takes an extra click to start a highlight due to more menu options, but over all the experience is good.

Thanks. Man, this is tempting. Somebody stop me!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #394
gutenberger
gutenberger began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelysarcasm View Post
There aren't any authors this time around (at least not after turning mine on and off about 20 times to see).

Here are some pics of the new ones, they're mostly inanimate objects/pictures of letters/etc.

Sorry I can't imbed them, I think I'm too new of a member (and for the record, female).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ous/kindle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/kindle2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/kindle3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/kindle5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/kindle4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/kindle6.jpg
thanks for sharing the new Screensavers! What an interesting departure from the current mix of authors and esoteric stuff. Look forward to seeing the set from the new 4.x software.
gutenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #395
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Has anyone had their new Kindle "lose it's place" where you ended off reading? I always put the kindle in sleep mode when I put it down and already on a couple of occasions since I've gotten the new Kindle its on the wrong page when I wake it up again. This never happened to me before with the Kindle keyboard.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #396
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Thanks. Man, this is tempting. Somebody stop me!
You know those are the first words on the purchase road.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #397
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Has anyone had their new Kindle "lose it's place" where you ended off reading? I always put the kindle in sleep mode when I put it down and already on a couple of occasions since I've gotten the new Kindle its on the wrong page when I wake it up again. This never happened to me before with the Kindle keyboard.
a bug maybe? I know the K3 doesn't have that problem. At least I never had it happen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #398
KindleFan1
Banned
KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Two things caught my eye in this 'The $79 Kindle — A Review':

http://512pixels.net/kindle-2011-review/
Quote:
The buttons below the screen also feel improved. The 5-way pad seems much better, thankfully. The other buttons feel far more solid than the keyboard on the Kindle 3.
Quote:
The biggest change is the software keyboard. It is actually fairly responsive. Thanks the improved 5-way pad, getting around the keyboard isn’t bad at all. I don’t think I’ll regret the choice not going with the Touch.
KindleFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #399
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just noticed I now have a bunch of foreign dictionaries which are now in my account. I am guessing the new Kindle supports these. I wonder if they are safe to delete. I don't need stuff I can't read clogging up my archive.

Kindle-Benutzerhandbuch
Dictionnaire français de définitions
Manuale dell'utente del Kindle
Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa
el Diccionario de la lengua española
lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana
Guide d'utilisation Kindle
Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch
Guía del usuario de Kindle
Guia do Usuário do Kindle

Last edited by Blossom; 10-04-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #400
jennie
jennie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
I just noticed I now have a bunch of foreign dictionaries which are now in my account. I am guessing the new Kindle supports these. I wonder if they are safe to delete. I don't need stuff I can't read clogging up my archive.

Kindle-Benutzerhandbuch
Wow! You get dictionaries for five different languages + English. For me, that is a great feature!
Could I get someone to open the "Dictionnaire français de définitions" and get some info on publisher, number of words e.t.c.? (For the publisher, you'd be looking for a web address or something like "éditions XYZ").
Thanks!

As for your question, you can delete the dictionaries and they will appear on your archived items just like any other book.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #401
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Hi, I just got a new Kindle.

It got a lot smaller and lighter and that is great for reading.
But I am very surprised to find out that the E-ink display is actually worse than one for the K3.
It has worse contrast ratio, black is lighter, white is darker, characters are a bit blurred and it has more tiny tiny black dots on it.
Of course this doesn't destroy any reading experience with the device.
But since I was hoping even the slightest improvement for the display I am fairly disappointed...

Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?
If my Kindle doesn't have any problem at all, sadly Kindle 4 is a stepback for me.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #402
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is wide variation between individual eInk panels. If you consider yours to be unsatisfactory, you should contact Amazon and request a replacement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #403
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
Hi, I just got a new Kindle.

It got a lot smaller and lighter and that is great for reading.
But I am very surprised to find out that the E-ink display is actually worse than one for the K3.
It has worse contrast ratio, black is lighter, white is darker, characters are a bit blurred and it has more tiny tiny black dots on it.
Of course this doesn't destroy any reading experience with the device.
But since I was hoping even the slightest improvement for the display I am fairly disappointed...

Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?
If my Kindle doesn't have any problem at all, sadly Kindle 4 is a stepback for me.
Did you see the slight problems with the partial refresh turned on? Firmware 4.0.1 let's you set the new Kindle to do a full refresh on each page turn (full black flash). It could be as simple as that, you like a totally clean screen on each turn. For me the partially refreshed screen is good enough for reading.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #404
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:

Kindle-Benutzerhandbuch
Yeah I deleted all of those extra dictionaries. I would never use them.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #405
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
a bug maybe? I know the K3 doesn't have that problem. At least I never had it happen.
I'll keep an eye on it but it was fine this morning. I THINK it might be the carrying case pressing the On button when it's in my pocket and then I hit the page turn buttons when taking it out of my pocket. It's easier to turn on in a tight space since its now a button to turn on as opposed to a slider. I'll monitor and see if it happens again.