Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #361
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
jswinden - How did you sideload a bolder font on the Kindle 4?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #362
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Expect the updated article to point out that it's bad with large PDF's and various other silly things. But hey, ol THG arnt exactly known for their ethics. I'll throw a wild guess in and say that they'll compare everything to an iPad.

I mean, how can you not work out that the difference is due to not blacking the screen on every page turn (which once again, you'd surely notice speeding up page turning). The mind boggles.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #363
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
jswinden - How did you sideload a bolder font on the Kindle 4?
See the first post in this thread and the link in the bulleted item Font plugin works.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #364
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
See the first post in this thread and the link in the bulleted item Font plugin works.
Many thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the bold font that you like?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #365
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
That article gets ridiculous when they say "Turning on our microscope...". I mean come on if you have to turn on a microscope to see a minuscule difference is the human eye going to detect it? Like I said I can't tell any difference in the screens. I love my Kindle 4 based on form factor and speed.
No, you are misrepresenting the article. he said after a few hours reading he thought the k4 was inferior to his eyes, after which he used the microscope to figure out why.

Lisa from mobile tech review says the k3 background looks lighter to her eyes, and from the video, it does look lighter.

Again, none of this is conclusive. But it's not inconceivable if amazon is selective about the display it uses in different models.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #366
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
No, you are misrepresenting the article. he said after a few hours reading he thought the k4 was inferior to his eyes, after which he used the microscope to figure out why.

Lisa from mobile tech review says the k3 background looks lighter to her eyes, and from the video, it does look lighter.

Again, none of this is conclusive. But it's not inconceivable if amazon is selective about the display it uses in different models.
Lisa's K3 is different then most I have seen. I notice her light background and was like My K3 doesn't not have that nice of background. So you really have to compare more then one because e-ink quality does vary. Now my Text is really black on my K3 but the background isn't like hers. I wish is was!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #367
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
There's a screenshot shortcut on the new Kindle. I read it on another site. If you press the "menu" and "keyboard" keys simultaneously it'll take a screenshot for you and save a .gif in the documents folder. I tested it and it works.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #368
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a screenshot shortcut on the new Kindle. I read it on another site. If you press the "menu" and "keyboard" keys simultaneously it'll take a screenshot for you and save a .gif in the documents folder. I tested it and it works.
So someone figure it out finally. I was wondering how to it changed in the K4.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #369
JoeC
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Lisa's K3 is different then most I have seen. I notice her light background and was like My K3 doesn't not have that nice of background. So you really have to compare more then one because e-ink quality does vary. Now my Text is really black on my K3 but the background isn't like hers. I wish is was!
I recently gave my ancient K1 to my sister. I was amazed at how crisp the fonts looked against the white background. It looked much better compared to my K2 or K3.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #370
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay I got my case for my new Kindle! I paid $7! They were going for $20 but I took a chance and did the auction thing at ebay. I never use auctions just Buy It Now but I won for $4
It's a Ex Point Kobo Touch eReader Leather Sleeve. I got it in black of course.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-02-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #371
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I'll post your tip on the first post of this thread.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #372
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Many thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the bold font that you like?
I think I posted a link in one of the many posts early in this thread. I'm away from my PC where I've got the link, I'll try to remember to send it to you tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #373
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
So I read the release info with interest when the new Kindles were announced, but I didn't really consider buying one. I have, however, been making a list of things to buy if I get the job I interviewed for on Thursday. And DARN YOU ALL for making me add "K4?" to that list. I should have known better than to read this thread.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #374
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I used PMN Caecilia 85 and 86: link
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #375
JoeC
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I used PMN Caecilia 85 and 86: link
Thank you very much!