Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
bradrice
bradrice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Open source

Is there a way to open source of a non-drm .mobi file? I want to start looking at the source of different books to determine how they are put together. I am working on my own .mobi formatted book and would like to look at the source of some others.
bradrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can use Calibre to extract an OEB version, or MobiPerl's mobi2html. However, the MOBI format isn't designed to be human readable. MobiPocket takes an OEB ebook (the best example now is an ePub, but a collection of HTML and images also works) and smashes it down to a dumb as dirt single-file HTML with custom add-ons version.

What you really want is the original OEB version, which is saved if you use MobiPocket Creator, but does not help someone trying to work backwards from the MOBI.

Unless you want to add DRM, what I suggest is to produce an ePub version and then run Calibre to convert to MOBI. Some ePub features get lost, but a surprisingly large number get through. You can look at how an ePub is constructed simply by unzipping the .epub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
bradrice
bradrice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful. So really I should be reading about creation of OEB book and then I will be covered. I'm particularly interested in creating indexes and linking inside of ebooks. Any way to create a searchable metadata tag for the kindle?

Is there any plans to release the MobiPocket Creator for Mac? I'm a mac user.
bradrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.mobi, kindle, source