Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #346
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
managed to compile a list of international kindle actual price in various countries.
It includes 28 countries -
their actual kindle cost with import duties and shipping.

thought it might be helpful to people who are considering a kindle.
if you have information on another country or can confirm one of the countries please do contribute.
What is your source for the country getting the free Internet?

"* – For 3 countries i.e. Japan, Mexico and Hong Kong, Kindle includes Free Internet and Blogs. For All other countries there is No Free Internet and no blog subscriptions."

I checked on Amazon page, and for all three countries the same disclaimer appear : "Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country"
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #347
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
My friend in Australia is going to buy one, he is super excited! I think my constant bragging and raving about the Kindle over the last year has converted him hehe.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #348
eq7751
eq7751 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Many books are not available for users outside US. For example, I checked Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" and it shows this item is not available in my region (Asia Pacific). Now I am really happy to stay with my PRS-600.
eq7751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #349
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Considering I often have to pay over twice the Amazon price for books sold in Australia, I'll take what Amazon can offer.

Some good news is that you can change your country on the "Manage Your Kindle" page. You will probably need a US credit card or to use the gift certificate trick to buy the American selection at US prices. The curious question will be whether books are still wirelessly delivered regardless of which country you are in. Since the international Kindles are designed for travelling overseas, I doubt they will require customers to change their location whenever they cross a border.
Excellent point! I don't understand why Amazon just doesn't lay out all the rules etc. clearly. Why must everyone second-guess and hunt around for answers .
I (like you) can't work out if I buy a Kindle in Japan, if I will be able to use it wireless in other countries, or if it's region specific, ie. only able to go wireless in Japan - locked in.... In other words; are the USA international Kindles somehow different to the Kindles bought in other countries.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #350
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
It sets a "base country" when you first register. Going outside that country entails additional charges for downloading - per both American and UK Kindle support.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #351
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
response to Faenad

Faenad,
amazon recently changed the free internet. thanks for bringing it up. will update the post.

No idea why it was there initially (perhaps better wireless agreements) and why it was removed (perhaps because 171 other countries felt Kindle had less value for them).
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #352
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you live outside of US and UK and buy an international Kindle does that mean that you can as with paper books choose which edition to buy (the US or UK one)? I saw some text that indicated that that was true but other claims that says it is not...

A bookshop is allowed to import both US and UK editions and the point of sale is in the country the bookshop is in. The same ought to hold for buying ebooks on Amazon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #353
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Faenad,
amazon recently changed the free internet. thanks for bringing it up. will update the post.

No idea why it was there initially (perhaps better wireless agreements) and why it was removed (perhaps because 171 other countries felt Kindle had less value for them).
Amazon only states that blogs is not avalable for Japan, Hongkong and Mexico - nothing about Internet access.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #354
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Does anyone know which courier amazon.com use for shipping to the UK? We're having postal strikes here next week so I'm hoping it's one of the private ones

Of course it'd be nice to have it shipped so it arrives on Monday but I can't see that happening.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #355
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Does anyone know which courier amazon.com use for shipping to the UK? We're having postal strikes here next week so I'm hoping it's one of the private ones

Of course it'd be nice to have it shipped so it arrives on Monday but I can't see that happening.
They only state it's an international courier service - 2-4 days - it doesn't sound as the post to me. They would certainly use several courier services for the individual countries, and probably several in one country, too. So they probably can't say until it's been dispatched. If they ship Monday, there's a good chance it'll arrive before the weekend next week. I'm crossing my fingers.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #356
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Faenad,
Amazon recently changed the free internet. thanks for bringing it up. will update the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Amazon only states that blogs is not avalable for Japan, Hongkong and Mexico - nothing about Internet access.

Amazon seems to be changing its mind every day. When I checked it was
"Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country" like the other countries.

Now it's : "Blogs are currently not available for your country"

Hmm, I will believe it when I see it. Mexico on the cutting edge of technology, on par with Japan & HK?
Hard to believe. My theory is that someone at Amazon inverted the contracts for Canada and Mexico. North, South, etc... after all, Americans are notoriously bad at geography

Or perhaps Carlos Slim is buying a Kindle and wanted it to come with free Internet.

As a side note, I'm glad not to be living in Brazil. $585 USD Kindle. Nice one Lula.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #357
inuyashaohki
inuyashaohki began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Finally I'm back from my Seattle trip with my nice little new Kindle :-) International webbrowsing functions quite well for free (did it in Canada and Germany ;-) )

:-)
inuyashaohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #358
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Mine came via UPS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #359
rosita
rosita began at the beginning.

Device: none
woow great
rosita is offline   Reply With Quote