Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video of the Hanvon 5" touchscreen E-Ink reader

I did a video review of it at CeBIT 2009 that I posted here:

You can watch this video on Youtube in HD quality.

Please spread it around if you find this interesting!

It's a 5" stylus E-Ink touchscreen using Havon's alternative to wacom technology.

I think that this form factor could be pretty much perfect. The non-touchscreen version is said to be sold by Havon at $180, perhaps the touchscreen version with WiFi doesn't have to be much more expensive than that.

I think that they need to remove all the unecessary bezel around the screen, it should I think only have some buttons on the side of the device, not on the front of it. Cause I think that a 5" screen form factor is otherwise potentially perfect to put in the pocket using an appropriate thin synthetic or leather screen protector case.

Then of course, they need WiFi and HSDPA built-in for this to be usable to the level of being a Kindle alternative.

For software upgradabillity, I think that they need to load some type of Google Android on it. Then the community could build software for it to do interesting things with the stylus such as worldwide collaborative reading and annotations sharing and annotations filtering. Commentary around all texts. Posting of handwritten comments eventually with server-based handwriting recognition to blog posts. More advanced features to the stylus functions such as doing stuff to words when doing certain drawings on them, like crossing words out deletes them or makes them eventually change background color or something. Depending on which type of collaboration mode the user would be in.

Using Android I think would make it possible to have Google Reader, Google News, Google Books on this. And more. There should be a Chrome and Firefox plugins to easilly select web pages and articles from ones PC browser that should then be pushed to ones E-Reader device wirelessly for later reading.

Previously on this forum this company has been referred to with the name "Hanwang" somehow. But to me it looks pretty clear the company name now is Hanvon.

Last edited by Charbax; 03-14-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Why Google Android and not OpenInkPot?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apparently it will be released in Ukraine and Russia under the name @AzBOOKa@ (sounds like the Russian word for "alphabet"). Preliminary date is end of April...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Great!
If Chinese are in ebook devices manufacturing, that means prices are headed to the floor.
Waiting for a 9 inch screens with touchscreen ability. This will really revolutionize class room adoption!
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
It looks like Hanvon manufactures tablets.

They have the reader on their site
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/EP...ns/e-book.html
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is using an Ingenic JZ4740 processor, clocked at 336MHz. I had not come across this cpu before, but it is apparently MIPS-based.

The niche for 5" screens is presumably going to be low cost (and perhaps pocketability), but this does not look "cheap", which is good, and the only major issue I see is the lack of any real e-book formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipy View Post
The price sound great.
WHAT price?!? I can't find a price listed anywhere on their site!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Well, this looks like the device for me, and I found one on eBay for $250, so I've ordered it. Should arrive sometime next week, and I'll be sure to post some first impressions here.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
Well, this looks like the device for me, and I found one on eBay for $250, so I've ordered it. Should arrive sometime next week, and I'll be sure to post some first impressions here.
Where did you find it on Ebay?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Hanvon-N510-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's the older model, the N510. The one demoed above is the N516, and has a touchscreen,
Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ha! Charbax, you sound like a Google ad!

Seriously, though, it looks like a nice device for all kinds of uses. I especially like the note-taking feature, it ably demonstrates an ability to more writing and note-taking beyond paper, which is a good thing. Whether it is opened up to Google apps or not, I'd love to see third party apps available to jazz it up.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I found it:
It's the older model, the N510. The one demoed above is the N516, and has a touchscreen,
The one I ordered is indeed a 510- the video is offline at the moment (youtube problems?), but IIRC it shows a stylus being used for input, although the description calls it a "touchscreen". They do go on for quite a bit about the screen technology being designed in house (my understanding was they are using something behind the screen rather than on top), but I don't remember anything in the video that suggests that the screen will accept touch input.

If the video becomes viewable later, I'll take a second look.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
The one I ordered is indeed a 510- the video is offline at the moment (youtube problems?), but IIRC it shows a stylus being used for input, although the description calls it a "touchscreen". They do go on for quite a bit about the screen technology being designed in house (my understanding was they are using something behind the screen rather than on top), but I don't remember anything in the video that suggests that the screen will accept touch input.

If the video becomes viewable later, I'll take a second look.
I thought they were demonstrating the N516. I've been talking with the manufacturer, and I thought they implied it was the N516.

I have the spec sheet. There's no mention of a touchscreen. Odd.
Attached Files
File Type: doc E-Book (N516) Spec Sheet 2009.doc (42.5 KB, 641 views)
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
maggotb0y
Connoisseur

The video is viewable again- they do mention the word "Touchscreen" many times, but the stylus appears to be required- like I said, I think that they are touting their proprietary tech. The only differences that I see on spec between the 510 and 516 are the higher 4 v. 8 color greyscale, the processor and the flash memory. So I would expect my experience with the 510 to be slower and not as crisp, but otherwise identical. I'll let everyone know when it arrives.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
maggotb0y
Connoisseur

Well, in spite of a mention of the "electromagnetic pen input" in the press release for the N510, there is actually no pen input whatsoever. Luckily the seller is refunding the money, because without that, it's just not worth it to me. I won't have time to post a detailed review before sending the unit back, but I will note a few things for anyone interested.
1) The size is actually pretty nice and the layout worked pretty well with one hand. There is a wheel type slider on the left that changes pages back and forth. I've been using a sony reader (500 then 505) for a few years now, and I was quite comfortable shifting to the Hanvon to look it over. The NAV buttons on the right side were a bit small, which might be annoying to some. But the device was small enough to slip into a front pocket on a pair of Jeans, which might come in handy.
2) The screen seemed to look really nice, but it was somewhat hard to tell because the fonts installed on the device were AWFUL. JPGs looked fine.
3) As HarryT predicted in the other thread on this device, the HTML display was HTML only, no inline graphics, or even really proper flow. That is something that is pretty inexcusable in a book reading device. Didn't have time to look at PDF display, can't imagine it would look good, especially if they are rendering pages down to fit on the small screen.
4) There didn't seem to be a bookmarking function, although this may have been because some of the UI was still in Chinese, so I didn't know what I was looking at.

Overall, not much of interest to the non-Chinese market, and probably not that much there either. So for now, it's back to the Sony 505 for me - if I had gotten the Hanvon 516, I probably would have kept it for when I need to mark up a document, but having seen the 510, I'll skip on the 516 and hope for a better device to come along (if only the Sony 700 had a better screen)

Tags
hanvon e-ink touchscreen