Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
360 titles from calibre server -> iPhone

Is there a way to speed up this process? I'm clicking each book, getting a summary, and then having to download...
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not that I know of.

The limitation is the Stanza end not having any bulk transfer capability. Lexcycle have been talking about adding it in a future Stanza release but when and in what form that might appear I have no idea.

If you have them online is it worth downloading them all? I personally keep my own online catalog which is setup so I can access it via WiFi when at home or the internet (3G or WiFi) when away from home, so I only download a limited number of books I am actually interested in reading shortly to my iPhone knowing I can get more any time I want them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you have them online is it worth downloading them all? I personally keep my own online catalog which is setup so I can access it via WiFi when at home or the internet (3G or WiFi) when away from home, so I only download a limited number of books I am actually interested in reading shortly to my iPhone knowing I can get more any time I want them.
Same here, except I only have EDGE (iPhone 2G) so I try to download whatever titles I think I might want to read while I'm still at home and have WiFi. If I want to read something I currently don't have, I still have the peace of mind that I can get it from the Calibre server, except downloading is slow.

My only gripe with Calibre right now is it presents your library as one flat feed and there's no search feature making navigation a bit difficult. Currently working on a PHP script to remedy this behavior. Also studying the source code of server.py from Calibre to determine if maybe I can hack it for categorized view and searching.

itimpi has a Visual Basic script that creates categorized static XML feeds but I wanted something a bit more dynamic and with a search function.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Hmm, this is a good idea; I have a server hosted with a tier 1 ISP so I have awesome 24/7 access, BUT I don't want to put calibre on it; I'm finding the sqlwriter process needs closing every now and then on my own laptop, so putting it on the (full SQL server) server scares me a little.

Is there a way to put my ebooks on my (apache+PHP+ASP) server, with some structure, but only with ebooks uploaded rather than calibre running? ie if I make a page with ebooks as links, and set the MIME type to download, will stanza open them elegantly? I tried this initially using my PC as a server over WiFi and the books displayed as text-only links, opened without covers, and URLencoded the file names. Messy...but whilst I can follow advise, I'm not savvy enough to have done this propery myself I'm sure...

Meanwhile will read on itimpi's script.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote