Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yeah, it's bigger than I thought (in the photo it looked more like 4-inch). I am OK reading short content (web news, feeds, etc) on that kind of screen. For literature I still believe its too small, even if I'd only be using it on the go.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
Yeah, it's bigger than I thought (in the photo it looked more like 4-inch). I am OK reading short content (web news, feeds, etc) on that kind of screen. For literature I still believe its too small, even if I'd only be using it on the go.
There are some of us who bought 5" readers and are happy with them. A 4.8" screen isn't far off from that.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I saw the thread on the version for the iPad Mini. Both versions have to be plugged into the host device and that could be problematic in that you might need to unplug it to plug in some other cable or device. This model looked like it had a REALLY cheap cover that didn't open up well. I could see the flap holding the hinged side much higher than the other making it difficult to hold the item when opened. In other words, the eInk part will not lay flat against the host device when opened. At least similar cheap covers I've had for phones that were designed like that were less than ideal for holding while opened. Maybe version 2 or 3 will be better, this one looks to be still in the prototype stage.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
I'm actually the exact opposite. I only read books on my phone and have never, ever web-surfed with it. Actually I've never surfed on anything smaller than my 10" tablet and likely never will, as I just find doing so annoying.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
So, what happens when I trash the S4 or trade it in on an S5? Money wasted? Unless this thing is $10, I think I'd much rather have the new Kindle PW.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
So, what happens when I trash the S4 or trade it in on an S5? Money wasted? Unless this thing is $10, I think I'd much rather have the new Kindle PW.
You usually buy a case to lower the chances of trashing your phone, and if you trade in your S4 you could probably sell the case on ebay.

Also, what kind of case costs $10?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Also, what kind of case costs $10?
I bought a REAL leather case with a magnet in the cover to turn my Nook HD+ on and off for $12.

I bought a two-piece protective case for my phone for $4 (I like Otterbox, but they didn't make one for my phone).

So, pay what, $150 for this thing, then sell it on ebay for $20. Still a waste of money.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

This eInk case looks like metal. If so I wouldn't want a metal case rubbing against the glass front of my phone. I bet it would eventually scratch the hell out of even gorilla glass!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #24
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
I bought a REAL leather case with a magnet in the cover to turn my Nook HD+ on and off for $12.

I bought a two-piece protective case for my phone for $4 (I like Otterbox, but they didn't make one for my phone).

So, pay what, $150 for this thing, then sell it on ebay for $20. Still a waste of money.
I'm not clear on why you wouldn't pay for an eink screen as much as you would for leather, and I don't see why you would expect it to cost $150. Pocketbook sells e-readers for less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This eInk case looks like metal. If so I wouldn't want a metal case rubbing against the glass front of my phone. I bet it would eventually scratch the hell out of even gorilla glass!
This could be solved by coating the metal.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not clear on why you wouldn't pay for an eink screen as much as you would for leather, and I don't see why you would expect it to cost $150. Pocketbook sells e-readers for less than that.
My point is that it would cost as much as a separate e-ink reader, so why not just buy the e-ink reader instead of this? How soon before we find out the real price of this thing?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
My point is that it would cost as much as a separate e-ink reader, so why not just buy the e-ink reader instead of this? How soon before we find out the real price of this thing?
Why would it cost as much as a separate e-ink reader?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
For those whose eyes are bothered less by eInk screens I suppose it would be good. For me, I prefer a regular screen-and I solved the 'caning your battery' problem by buying extra batteries. Maybe I got lucky but I found 3 batteries & a charger for $13. Think the screen would cost less than that?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Why would it cost as much as a separate e-ink reader?
OK, how much do YOU think it will cost?

Kindle Wifi is $69. Nook Simple Touch is $79.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #29
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
OK, how much do YOU think it will cost?

Kindle Wifi is $69. Nook Simple Touch is $79.
Around $40. Beside the smaller screen it relies on the phone's hardware.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Around $40. Beside the smaller screen it relies on the phone's hardware.
Which I see as problematic. I think one would have to unplug the eInk cover in order to use the USB port on the phone. That would be a PITA. I still say that metal case front will cause scratches no matter what crap is sprayed on to prevent it. And finally the case hinge is a cheap flap of thin material that will wear out quickly and doesn't allow the eInk cover to lie flat against the phone when the cover is open. This idea is probably a good one, I like the concept, but this particular prototype is far from desirable.