Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #136
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The brighter level 24 PW lighting definitely obscures the faint print areas seen in the level 15 PW lighting. Try another photo at level 22 PW.
That would be way too bright for most people though (without cataracts).
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #137
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's best to pose a pic of a book page instead of graphics. It's really hard to to tell from the tutorial page.
I just wanted to show a relatively blank page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I can see ghosting from the previous page, which maybe you can minimize if you set your Kindle to refresh at every page turn?
After taking the pic, I saw that. It's not ghosting, it's part of the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I do see faint pink coloring in spots. It certainly would not bother me.

Try boosting the PW light to level 22 and post another picture showing the light scale open. I'm curious if that stronger light would obscure the faint pink areas. In the Amazon official 4 photos the green areas obvious at level 5 PW light totally disappeared at level 24 both in the same dark room. Also, turn on Page Refresh.

I certainly would not call them dark pink color blobs.
Cranking up the light only makes it worse, but ok.

Here's 2nd try, by popular demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo35.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	94190   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo36.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	94191  

Last edited by Barty; 10-15-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #138
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
When Amazon ships the Kindle PW to Europe I personally hope they start shipping the first 1000 units to the UK!
After that they can follow up with Germany. I can wait for a couple of months.
Tsk! Tsk!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #139
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Here's mine. Am I seeing things? Please tell me what you see.

Taken with iPad camera. (Sorry, that's all I got.) Photo unedited but scaled down for sanity. PW light @ 16 in room plenty bright enough to read a normal book in, but a little dark for eink, hence a good test scenario.
I see a green center and green top corner, with the rest of the edges being pink? I purposely did not read the others' answers yet just in case it would influence my perception. I seem to be picking up on all the colors, and am at this point completely convinced that there are way more colorblind people in the world than I though. Color blindness just so happens to affect the ability to discern (am I using the right word here?) between green and red!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #140
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Here are my pictures of my Paperwhite. I got it on October 2d. The first picture is how I usually have the light (at 15) while the second is at full brightness - which I find to be too bright. The picture was taken in my home office with no artificial light on (there's a window to the left - it's a cloudy day at 3:30 pm EST). I took the picture on my iPhone 4S with no flash.

Attachment 94173 Attachment 94174

Sometimes, I can see some green or pink. But, I really don't notice any discoloration while reading.

Marilyn
Marilyn, yours looks like the worst I got on my end. It's a god thing you don't usually see the colors. I can see green and pink all over, but, it could be the pictures taken, or the way they display on my iPad screen. I think that may have a lot to do with the difference of how we all perceive the same exact pictures.

This topic is getting really intesting!!
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #141
xendula
eBookworm

Can you guys please tell me which numbers you can see in the below picture?
solution

What shape do you see in the below picture? (none, dog, boat, ballooon or car)

This is in no way meant to insult anybody. I am just trying to understand why some of us look at a screen and find it full of rainbows, while others find it perfectly offwhite or grey.

Here is an online test.

Last edited by xendula; 10-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #142
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd answer but it's just so obvious to me. I'll be curious what those whose PW's look perfect to them see though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #143
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Can you guys please tell me which numbers you can see in the below picture?

What shape do you see in the below picture? (none, dog, boat, ballooon or car)

This is in no way meant to insult anybody. I am just trying to understand why some of us look at a screen and find it full of rainbows, while others find it perfectly offwhite or grey.
I see a 5 in the top and a boat in the second. And I am one of those people who do not see the pinks, blues, or blobs, and in fact have not seen them in other pics posted by people who said they have colors and blobs everywhere. I am REALLY starting to think this is just a perception issue and not an issue with the PW itself. I just think that some people are going to see these colors and blobs, period, while others just will not.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #144
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
2 / sailboat
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #145
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just wanted to show a relatively blank page.

After taking the pic, I saw that. It's not ghosting, it's part of the page.

Cranking up the light only makes it worse, but ok.

Here's 2nd try, by popular demand.
Daaaaarn! Are you returning it?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #146
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
I see a 5 in the top and a boat in the second. And I am one of those people who do not see the pinks, blues, or blobs, and in fact have not seen them in other pics posted by people who said they have colors and blobs everywhere. I am REALLY starting to think this is just a perception issue and not an issue with the PW itself. I just think that some people are going to see these colors and blobs, period, while others just will not.
What kind of monitor? They don't show up very well on my smaller laptop screens.

They are quite apparent on my higher-end work monitor, and on my two real-life PW units so far.

I'm not sure what you mean by "A perception issue and not an issue with the PW itself." We're 'perceiving' colors on this device that we don't perceive on any other devices. Therefore it's an issue with the device.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #147
xendula
eBookworm

PS, one more! This is a very short video made by a colorblind peson that may be of interest:
Youtube video
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #148
Heifzilla
Kinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'd answer but it's just so obvious to me. I'll be curious what those whose PW's look perfect to them see though.
See the post directly below yours. And I think my PW is just fine, without blotching and colors.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #149
Trauma Doll
Addict

If I had a perfect PW, I'd be spending way more time reading it and way less time arguing with people about it online.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #150
Heifzilla
Kinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
What kind of monitor? They don't show up very well on my smaller laptop screens.

They are quite apparent on my higher-end work monitor, and on my two real-life PW units so far.

I'm not sure what you mean by "A perception issue and not an issue with the PW itself." We're 'perceiving' colors on this device that we don't perceive on any other devices. Therefore it's an issue with the device.
But so many people are NOT perceiving these colors and issues, so to many people there is NO issue with the device. I have seen pictures posted to here by people complaining about their PWs and I don't see any issues. And people are screaming that Amazon sold bad goods and lied. Maybe their engineers didn't see the issues either, like I don't? Did that occur to anyone?