Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
MourningStar
MourningStar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
PDF > Kindle Fire Friendly Format

I have read the 'PDF' sticky and my situation was not addressed there. I am a novice with this tool and have done a couple of conversions. I have been somewhat satisfied with my results. However, I have now encountered a pdf file that converts strange. First, issue is that the file begins as a ~7 MB pdf file and ends up as an ~80 MB file after conversion. When I upload it to my Kindle Fire the results are not pages of text. They are pages of images, behaving not all that different than a pdf file. Thus, the Kindle features such as text-changing or dictionary word look-up are not possible. Can some one provide any tips on how to fix this?

thank you.
MourningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
First, issue is that the file begins as a ~7 MB pdf file and ends up as an ~80 MB file after conversion. When I upload it to my Kindle Fire the results are not pages of text. They are pages of images, behaving not all that different than a pdf file.
You already figured this one out your original PDF was an image based PDF.

Quote:
Can some one provide any tips on how to fix this?
I'm not versed in this but I thought Adobe or some other software (ABBYY FineReader) would allow you to run the image based pdf through a Optical Character Recognition (OCR) program to convert it to rtf or text.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
MourningStar
MourningStar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thnx 4 reply dwanthny. It looks like I will export the pdf to jpgs and use Ocr s/w to generate Word docs from these. What is my next step?
MourningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thnx 4 reply dwanthny. It looks like I will export the pdf to jpgs and use Ocr s/w to generate Word docs from these. What is my next step?
This isn't my area of expertise but I don't think you need to export to jpgs first. Hopefully someone with the experience will be by to lend a hand.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote