Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
marcelo2605
marcelo2605 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Read-aloud on Kindle Fire?

The KF8 format supports read-aloud feature present in iBooks?

And animations done in javascript?

Thanks
marcelo2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm just finish polishing my second book. 'Formatting it using Amazon's latest KindleGen as a KF8 and uploading it to my K3, the read-aloud feature works just fine as expected. Having said that, the only thing I use the read-aloud feature for is an editing tool. The computer generated voice might drive me nutts to actually listen to a full book. Dunno. Maybe I'd get used to they guy.

Can't answer your javascript question but I doubt it will handle an animation –that's just a guess.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
vamsundar
vamsundar began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
I have created the ePub with audio and video and converted the epub into KF8 using Kindlegen. When i open the converted file in Kindle Fire device, the audio and video is not there... I have used the normal html5 tags (<audio> and <video>).

How you have developed the read aloud feature for kf8? If so could you please provide sample output for our updates?

Thanks in Advance
vamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsundar View Post
I have created the ePub with audio and video and converted the epub into KF8 using Kindlegen. When i open the converted file in Kindle Fire device, the audio and video is not there... I have used the normal html5 tags (<audio> and <video>).

How you have developed the read aloud feature for kf8? If so could you please provide sample output for our updates?

Thanks in Advance
Vam:

I am using Scrivener for Mac (which uses KingleGen_mac_iv386_v2 to actually do the conversion). When I use it to compile as a mobi file it's a one-click deal.

My Kindle 3 handles the file just fine in Text-to-Speek mode. However, this link indicates that the Fire isn't capable of Text-to-Speek:http://blogkindle.com/2011/11/kindle...view-hands-on/

Wish I could help!

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The apple 'read aloud' feature is not the same as Kindle's text-to-speech: it is actually an audio track embedded in the ebook, and synchronizes with the text (highlighting the words as they are spoken). None of the Kindle formats support this.

Fire actually does have TTS (it's built in to the underlying Android system), but it doesn't work with the Fire's reading app. There are reading apps you can install that will use it (Mantano Reader for one).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
vamsundar
vamsundar began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
However the read aloud and multimedia features (audio, video and animations through Java script) are not working in Kindle Fire through mobi format.

But in amazon website, they have told like new fire device will support every functionalities which is currently supported by ipad.

Only fixed layout concept is working in KF device.
vamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
russianfiction
Expert
russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some books dont have the option I think
russianfiction is offline   Reply With Quote