Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #31
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66
yes that's what i have in mind, that's way better than flip 50 pages, i think with more and more books available and bigger card, people will have a growing list of books, i read ppl have 2000 books, finding a book will take hundered page turns (there's just NO other way), if we can do jump page that will be mjor help
Actually, there may be another way, if it is possible to make a link in a document that switches to ANOTHER BOOK ENTIRELY.

I've described before my idea for hierarchical navigation on the reader (divide the list of books/authors/titles/whatever into 10, present those as the 10 choices, expand the one the user picks, and so on).

Now imagine that some program that "just knows" what's on your reader produced an lrf file that has pages for each of the possible screens you might see when navigating around. All the internal links would be to other pages of the document, but the leaves would open the desired book on your reader. At that point, all you'd need would be a way to have the 0-9 buttons select one of the 10 options staring at you on the current page of that document. Three button presses could get you to any of 1000 documents!

I mention this possibility, because here at Mobileread we have an active programmer (cough) Kovidgoyal (cough) who just happens to have a tool that "just knows" what's on your reader. If we had a clear idea of how to implement the reader side of the hack, it shouldn't be too hard to get libprs500 to create and download an index lrf document that you could navigate to get the hierarchy that the Sony reader won't give us.

Any thoughts, anyone? Is kovid going to kill me for suggesting yet more work for him to do? Can the reader extension hackers figure out what the right kind of link is to get from a screen in a 'book' to opening a different book entirely? ...and what about Naomi?

Tune in next week for another thrilling ad... ... got a bit carried away there.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Let's find out.

Are there more people who would like to see this happen? So you will get direct page control in book menu's etc. but will loose numeric choice of a book and instead use the joystick up/down/enter.
Can you please keep this seperate from the main.xml that was last posted. This idea is one I don't want. So in order to not have it on my reader should there be other stuff created I do want, I think the only way is to fork off the mods.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Hey diablo,

I'm at work so I don't have time to dig into the xml files right now, but there must be a way to load additional xml files after the main ones have loaded, right?

So then we could separate each hack into an individual file that could then be included or not at will. So you could choose clock.xml, joystickpageturn.xml, or DirectPage.xml or all three or any other hacks people develop.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #34
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you please keep this seperate from the main.xml that was last posted. This idea is one I don't want. So in order to not have it on my reader should there be other stuff created I do want, I think the only way is to fork off the mods.
No worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
Hey diablo,

I'm at work so I don't have time to dig into the xml files right now, but there must be a way to load additional xml files after the main ones have loaded, right?

So then we could separate each hack into an individual file that could then be included or not at will. So you could choose clock.xml, joystickpageturn.xml, or DirectPage.xml or all three or any other hacks people develop.
Actually I was thinking of writing a VB application that let's you select the hacks desired after which the application will generate the correct XML file. Not sure yet if I will do this because it will be time consuming.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #35
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

Can the reader extension hackers figure out what the right kind of link is to get from a screen in a 'book' to opening a different book entirely?
Interesting...
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #36
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Quote:
No worries.

Actually I was thinking of writing a VB application that let's you select the hacks desired after which the application will generate the correct XML file. Not sure yet if I will do this because it will be time consuming.
time will be better spent for the book list page hack
anyone with more than a few hundred books will like it i am sure
because there's NO other way, say you have 500 books, you want to find the book start with p, you know it must be around page 40, currently there's NO other way but to flip 40 pages, ouch

Last edited by ns66; 08-13-2007 at 05:12 PM.
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Can the reader extension hackers figure out what the right kind of link is to get from a screen in a 'book' to opening a different book entirely? ...and what about Naomi?

Xenophon
Naomi?

I'd be very surprised if it were possible to go from one LRF file to another. Looking at the LRS spec I don't see anything that allows for this, which means you'd need to replace the LRF reader app on the device, which is a little beyond the scope of the current generation of device hacks, I think.

EDIT: Actually there is the FileLink element, but I don't think anyone has reverse engineered that one. igorsk?

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-13-2007 at 05:23 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #38
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
time will be better spent for the book list page hack
anyone with more than a few hundred books will like it i am sure
because there's NO other way, say you have 500 books, you want to find the book start with p, you know it must be around page 40, currently there's NO other way but to flip 40 pages, ouch

Are you sure that holding the "next" button is not jumping ten pages? I have only four pages but when I hold the "next" button it jumps to page number four.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #39
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
I'd say that's another version down the road. I'll take a look tonight and see what I can piece together for a few individual hack files.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #40
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I'd say that's another version down the road. I'll take a look tonight and see what I can piece together for a few individual hack files.
Let me know how it works out.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #41
ns66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are you sure that holding the "next" button is not jumping ten pages? I have only four pages but when I hold the "next" button it jumps to page number four.
positive, holding next for 5 sec get you to the end of all 50 pages, not going next 10 pages. so basically you can flip from beginning or from end of book list, that's it
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #42
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Naomi?

SNIP

EDIT: Actually there is the FileLink element, but I don't think anyone has reverse engineered that one. igorsk?
Just showing my age. There was a short-lived program on PBS that was a try at an educational show for kids who had outgrown Sesame Street -- I think the title was "Electric Company" (or something like that). Lots of kids I baby-sat for used to watch it. Think mid-late '70s.

Anyway, they had a segment that was a deliberately bad takeoff on soap operas. Each of those segments always ended with the announcer listing a bunch of questions raised by what you'd just seen, always ending with "...and what about Naomi?" Of course, there was no mention of 'Naomi' anywhere else in the show. The "what about Naomi?" thing had a brief life in teenage culture as a "you've been asking too many questions" thing around then.

But I digress...

Perhaps the FileLink element might hold some hope for supporting the kind of index document I described. Anyone know anything about it?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #43
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
You will gain direct page entry and small fonts while keeping the clock and your modified joystick.
You are right. It works in conjunction with the hacks in applicationstart.xml.

Thank you! The direct page entry is a fantastic addition to the Reader.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #44
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Woot! I just flashed my Reader with this hack. Happy days are here!
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #45
ns66
Connoisseur

to help with finding book due to ereader flat file structure, some possibilities

1. make number button N-> N% of book list pages, just like within a book, instead of picking on a particular book (because we usually won't have that many pages for book list, this option should suffice)

2. make this direct page control hack available to book list section (even more detailed control)

3. make hold "next" 5 sec -> 10 page jump available for book list section, instead of jumping to the end

any one of these will help a great deal